>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 21-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
VitaMite

Professional Artists

I would like to find out how other professional artists are doing in the industry.
I work in product visualisation with 8 years experience and feel that I'm struggling to live comfortably and I'm also concerned about what will happen later in life. So I'd like to ask: Where are you based? What part of the CG industry are you in? Do you feel you earn enough to sustain it as a career and not just scratch by? Has anyone successfully moved from 3D/CG into a different line of work after the age of 30?
VitaMite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
I went full time around 12 years ago and I work (mainly) as an architectural/interior design visualizer. I work with another guy and we both work from our own homes. We are UK based.

Up until a few months back we were very busy. We had clients from Russia, the Middle East but very few British ones.

With the architects and designers we use following the 'oil money' around saw us through the recessions and slumps in the UK economy and we were doing on average three or four visuals a month - with prices approx 1200 - 1500 (including all modelling and rendering) per visual so after taxes etc we were both taking home a good living wage.

Things have changed now though, since Russia invaded the Ukraine and the British government started sanctioning individuals rather than the country the Russian clients (with one exception) have all gone. ISIS/ISIL call them what you want have all but killed the Middle/Far East developments - we lost projects we had either started on or were in the diary for later this year in Turkey, Libya and Iraq.

The hotel chains have gone quiet - we have worked with the Holiday Inn, Hilton, and Sheraton groups as well as Princess Cruises and have had virtually nothing from them in the last year.

You can now add to it that the software is easily available to pirates all over the world and they are happy to work for next to nothing - a days wages here in the UK is a month (or more) in many places so with no overheads and a ridiculously cheap standard of living they have no need to earn the kind of money that we in the west do.

I know of at least two leading worldwide interior design companies who have switched all their visuals to guys working in India - tbh the standard of work isn't as good as we produce but until people go back to putting quality before price we just can't compete when they are getting the work done for 100 (or less) per image.

I'm sorry if this all sounds a bit bleak but I can't see it getting any better for the foreseeable future. If you want some depressing reading have a look at the quotes for jobs on sites like elance - they will make your eyes water

We quoted on a yacht animation a couple of years back - 30 seconds of broadcast quality video and 20 stills for promotional material. The client was to supply the bare shell of the boat and all interiors would have to be modelled - now we've done jobs like that in the past for Heesen so know that it's a big (at least a month's maybe two work) job and quoted accordingly. They laughed at our quote and eventually accepted one for 500 including the stills being delivered printed on A1 photo quality paper/card!!!!!!!

I'm reasonably fortunate, I was talking to one of my best clients last week about the same thing and he just asked me if I wanted to work for him full time (still working from home) the only proviso being that I learn how to use Solidworks to build stuff alongside my normal Cinema4D work. The downside is that I now have to really get into Solidworks very quickly (fortunately they have provided the software) but it's a sharp learning curve!

What advice can I offer? Chase every single lead you get, go through every design and architectural magazine you can find, look for people showing off their new works and contact them - be ready with a full price list and portfolio/demo reel/web site so they can see what you do - we send about 50 mails a month on this basis and up until recently it has kept us moving with new clients - one job (which we have been working on for the pasty 18 months) came from a single email so stuff like that is worth doing.

Have you registered with any agencies/searched for available jobs for the software you use? Can you use more than one software package? I work primarily with C4D but we also use 3DS Max, Sketchup and Rhino. Do you have licences for your software? Some agencies/clients (quite rightly) won't touch you if you are using pirated stuff.

Drop me a line/PM with your website and email address I'll fire over a list of potential clients that maybe worth contacting.
Andy_k-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
VitaMite

Thanks Andy. So would the trend be to go freelance and make something of that as soon as possible to avoid retrenchment and trying to find a full time job at the age of 50? Or does full time pay sufficiently and have a ladder of growth?

I'm in one of the "outsourcing" countries and the pay is pretty bad. Full time monthly on average if you are lucky is around $1000 (before tax) and average rent for 1 bedroom apartment is $500. I'm not sure whether to relocate, study something completely different or study and build on whatever basic 3D skill I have (arch viz to architect, product viz to industrial engineer, etc)

My main concern isn't finding work at the moment. It's more a concern of can I make a living out of this as I've spent a quite a few years trying to make it work and now I'm not sure it ever will. So I was wondering if globally the general pay for 3D work vs living expenses ratio is similar to above? Perhaps it's my own fault and I'm not charging enough or asking for sufficient pay?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
If you can't afford to pay the bills, then up your prices Our going rate for full photo realistic/stylised visuals is between 1200 and 1500 (the lower price being for clients that want more than one image) and up until recently we were very busy.

After I said that there was a shortage of work the other day we have had calls from two or three regular clients saying that they have projects starting in the new year - so things are looking up although I suspect not many will want to pay until the beginning of the new financial year.

There is a living wage to be made but it's not as easy as it used to be.

50 is no barrier to work - I'm 57 and just getting started in Solidworks
Old 11-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
VitaMite

Thanks for the info Andy_k!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Andy_k-3DT
Part Timer

Awards Showcase
What software do you use? What level of modelling skill are you/how fast do you work?

How long would you need to produce something like the model below (still work in progress) - assuming that you were supplied CAD elevations and plans?

This is one we are working on at the moment

Just the model, no texturing/lighting to worry about.

Tags
artists, job