>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > General software and hardware help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 02-04-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Johny
Pixel Sodomizer

3ds max "file open failed"

well, i formatted my computer, saved everything to my other computer, but when i open my last work file it says "file open failed" i sincerely find it very odd that all .max files are like that.

im running an uregistered copy of max ( 30 days trial ) and am desperate.
Johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Brent

there`s only 2 things you can do.
Try to merge it into an empty scene or look for an autobak file.
If these don`t work then it`s gone for good.Max corrupted it while saving.
I always save in 2 or 3 sepaerate places,it just increases your odds of getting a good save.
There`s a rumor that a past windows patch causes this problem in max.
But Im afraid once it`s corrupted that`s it.....sorry
Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Johny
Pixel Sodomizer

i just dont understand why, of ALL files i saved in the same way, it had to be the most recent to be corrupt, why why why ???
Old 02-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
Nippur

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Interesting...have you installed the same operating system after the format as you had before ?

Visit my MiniCity here and make it grow

Nippur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Johny
Pixel Sodomizer

yup, XP pro...
Old 03-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For throwing one hell of a good suggestion out there. You suggested the sculpting challenge, and we ran with it. The community loves it. Nice one! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: your testicles Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 10
Can you throw one of your .max files up here so we can pin point if its your max or the files that went bad.

The mysterious guy behind you...
DeadlyFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
jimmy1975

Help... my 3ds max files cannot open after program shutdown.

Anyone can help me to open my 3ds max file back ? any utilities to fix it.

Thanks.

Jimmy Wong (just freelance interior designer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny
well, i formatted my computer, saved everything to my other computer, but when i open my last work file it says "file open failed" i sincerely find it very odd that all .max files are like that.

im running an uregistered copy of max ( 30 days trial ) and am desperate.
jimmy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
shikav4
14 and still growing

Send a message via Yahoo to shikav4
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
The same happened with me but I didnt even format it. I just saved a file. tried to open it the next day and Max says that it cant open it. Can anyone figure out a way to run the file.

Fume FX Tests - Animation

Afterburn Explosion Tests - Animation
shikav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
Overdriver

If it's corrupted, it's usally gone for good. As someone suggested above, you could try doing an import into a new scene to see if anything is salvageable.

Don't forget that Max has an autosave file feature that creates a backup of your most recent scene, it needs to be renamed as a *.max file and then opened, but if you have reformatted your machine you will have lost that.

It's always a good idea to save files inrementally (filename_01.max filename_02.max etc.) so that you have a stable backup in case things go wrong.
Overdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
shikav4
14 and still growing

Send a message via Yahoo to shikav4
Awards Showcase
Well I dont know what to do know but I dont think that my files have gone for good. Maybe for something bad I have done.

Fume FX Tests - Animation

Afterburn Explosion Tests - Animation
shikav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
borigo

phew......the autoback file worked !!!!!!!!

man i love u guys
the normal autoback.max files didnt work......but the autoback.bak worked. i lost last few steps of work but saved 95% of the work.

just try to change the extenzion on autoback.BAK to autoback.MAX and the thing could work

autoback files are located in ur 3dmax folder in ur documents

example:

My documents/Documents/3dmax/autoback

I BELIVE I CAN FLY
borigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
dekstroza

I had same problem i couldn't open file in any way,
so i downloaded newer version then mine (mine is 3ds 9, downloaded 3ds 10),
and that helped . Only u must export entire scene because re-save didn't work (at least for me).

Hope it work for some1 else too
dekstroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Kage
Perfectionist...

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 5
I save litterally every 5 minutes as a seperate file, with a different number. Its good practise

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
MindDropStudios

Smile Possible Solution

Hi guys, I recently had the same problem where I opened a .Max file I have been working on for months, and it said file could not be opened. I tried the merge and autoback features but the only Autoback file was from days previously, and I had lost a lot of work.

I then realized that the other day, I moved 2 jpegs that were used as textures in the project from my desktop into another folder. I moved these back to the desktop, and now the file opens! It must have just caused a glitch in the system when it couldn't find the files on startup. (Normally it just has a dialogue that says the files are missing. Don't know why it just didn't do that).

So, before you give up, try and think if any of the assets connected to the project haven't been moved recently. Hope this helps!
MindDropStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #15
vaaruz

i guess almost all of us have faced this problem , me to . the things i do are : save incrementally and while leaving i always save a copy . furthermore i ve done this in the preferences (shown in image , i dont know whether its effects the performance but i believe it doesnt)and always make a separate project folder for each work of 3d .
Attached Images

vaaruz is offline   Reply With Quote