>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat
bottom-table-gradient

Old 02-11-2003, 08:51 PM   #76
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

c' mon man! just draw a rectangle and the shape of the intersection and freakin loft it! i know its not subdivision but its a lot easier!!!
Old 02-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #77
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Er....huh? can i see a pic pls? rage? Hello? HELLO!? Oh, maybe i should wait a bit for you to reply.

New: I've been thinking about what you said, rage. Have you ever actually done that? I've been trying to do it and just cannot figure it out. I can't even get past making a line for the loft. I can make it on one of the planes, but to get it at that angle is difficult. Takes it from 1 inch by 1 inch to the hypotenous of an isocoles triangle with 1 inch legs. With those numbers, I don't know how to angle the bezier verts to get the correct shape. After trying that for a while, it also occured to me that I'd want the verts in the face centers for the loft to work right. And even if I got that all figured out, what good would lofting the fact like that do? I'd still have to hinge the remaining faces and connect them and all kinds of other problems. I just don't see how it would work.

Help me! I'm simple!

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Subdivision Surfaces Here
Discuss Materials Here

Last edited by Zytrex; 03-11-2003 at 05:21 AM..
Zytrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:13 AM   #78
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I went back and tried some more tests. I even tried just kind of eye-balling the position of the curved line to just see what would happen with the loft. Yeah...it didn't work out. Sure, the edges formed from the outlying corner curve up nicely, but the rest of the lofted shape looked terrible. It was nothing that I could work with. If what you said can work, than I obviously have some big mistakes in my methods.

So, as I previously requested, rage, a more thorough explanation accompanied by some images would probably help to prevent my brain from turning to mush.

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 06-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #79
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Come on rage! Don't leave me hangin' buddy!

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 08-11-2003, 05:06 PM   #80
geoMan
is studying.

well.!

when i started modelling, i had the main problem of getting the scratch for my desired model.....so....realizing this fact, i wud like to help u people....here's a basic shape for a head for newbies.....others can use it too!
Attached Files
File Type: zip basicheadshapefornewbies.zip (16.9 KB, 203 views)
thread
geoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #81
geoMan
is studying.

here's some more help!

use this one for modelling shirts and coats etc...

the one for pants will come soon!
Attached Files
File Type: zip basicshapeforashirt.zip (15.0 KB, 189 views)
thread
Old 20-11-2003, 01:41 PM   #82
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

cool geoman! thats very handy for a a lot of people in here! THX!

Zytrex, man u dont need example pics, its so easy!! do u know how to do a loft object man? here i include a pic so u see what i mean...hope it helped and please cut that math crap man... i suck at math and i dont care...
Attached Images

Old 21-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #83
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Oooh. For some reason I thought you meant loft shapes out in the same direction that I was hinging them out. You actually made the reverse of what I need. Mine have the curve on the outside not the inside. That makes it so that I cannot loft and then put them all in place because the ends would be sticking through and out of each other. So, did you connect the pieces? If so, did you just use slice at a 45 degree angle to get the verts in the right spots?

Oh, and c'mon rage, math is our friend.

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 21-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #84
Pawz

You're completely missing the point Zytrex - All you need to do is loft a shape with a RECTANGLE for a path. That will automatically deal with everything you need. If the curve isn't pointing in the right direction you can select the shape within the loft and rotate it at will.
Pawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #85
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

thanks Pawz u saved me from becoming mad!

i mean this is one of the most simple 3d operations in the whole wide world, i would have done this even in 3d studio 3.0 for DOS (1993).

did u get that zytrex buddy? if u dont man, please revise some good books on max fundamentals man...cheers and good modeling!!

--- Axel ---
Old 21-11-2003, 05:40 PM   #86
geoMan
is studying.

wow!

i am happy that i am of some help to the members of the forums.....

very encouraging rage, i will do more....next time, people'll have the pant scrath geometry!
thread
Old 22-11-2003, 01:55 AM   #87
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
.... .... .... I are am dumbeth.

Okay, I have a confession to make. I have never, in my life, used Loft Shape, only Loft Path. *doges flying pieces of monkey poo* When ever you were talking about lofting, rage, I was thinking about lofting a path, not a shape. Hopefully you can understand then why I was confused. Thank you Pawz for pointing out that I needed to loft a shape and not a path.

Come on, rage, gimme a break. No one knows anything until they're told. I have gone through almost all of the max tutorial files and the only one that used extensive lofting was that nurbs monkey head, but I did that a long, LONG time ago and didn't really understand what I was doing. I just did what the instructions said.

I was not trying to make you mad, but what can I say, I just didn't get it. Fortunately I understand now. I hope you will still be willing to help me out in this thread if I ever get stuck again, although I am usually able to figure these things out. As it is, I was able to get the shapes I wanted, albeit with a somewhat painful and slow method.

So, thank you again, rage and Pawz. *bow*

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 23-11-2003, 05:02 PM   #88
rage
I am Ecthelion´s Bane

im not mad man! not at all!
and of course if i can i will help in any way i see fit!

cheers dudes!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #89
geoMan
is studying.

well!

i was thinking whether we can have debates here!
thread
Old 08-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #90
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
debates on what?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here