>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat
bottom-table-gradient

Old 24-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #91
Emperor
Cookiefreak

Thats what this forum is for. CG based debates.

I really encourage you to play some with lofting. especielly this kind of lofting where you use a path and loft a shape along with it. I have been using this tech to bild new roads for a database we are creating at work and belive u me it makes my job sooo damn easy and fun. Loft also has great mapping tools that are very simple but accurate. I managed to create a 20 km road with juct one main spline for the road and a few lines for the road profile. All niceley textured . The mapping however Don't really work well or even exists ni max 4.x So I guess this applies for max 5.x and up.
Old 25-12-2003, 12:35 PM   #92
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
groovy

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Subdivision Surfaces Here
Discuss Materials Here
Zytrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #93
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Here's a question: Anyone know a good way to unextrude a polygon? Meaning, you selected a polygon, extruded it, and later on wish you hadn't, but cannot simply undo it. I suppose you could just target weld all the verts, but is there an easier way? Also, sometimes the verts can be very hard to get to. Is there a way to select a polygon and from that automatically select the corresponding verts? With that, someone could just select the polygon, set movement to local, move it back the same distance as the extrude, then select the corresponding verts, and then grow the selection which should add only the verts with which you want to weld, and then weld! Done!

So, any ideas?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 13-01-2004, 11:35 AM   #94
geoMan
is studying.

yes..

well....

just delete the new thing that is extruded....all the faces...and cap the border on the parent surface...hehe....i hope thats goodl..

alright....

here's a statement for debate

" WE CANT LIVE WITHOUT MESHSMOOTH FOR HIGH-POLY MODELS"

lets see the stuff...
and i think....maybe we shud start a separate thread!

*hoping kuman's around*
thread
geoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 12:38 AM   #95
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
ooooooooh yeah! ugh. i went so long using edit tools that didn't have border selection, i sometimes forget that i have it now with edit poly. argh! it's those stupid older tutorials! "use edit mesh, use edit mesh, use edit mesh, bla bla bla!" EDIT POLY ALL THE WAY YO!

Having said that, lol.... There is one problem with this method. One, if you're extruding multiple adjacent faces, this method will get you back the original shape, but you will be left with one big face where several smaller faces once existed. And two, the BIG problem, is if multiple adjacent faces were extruded from a CURVED surface, this method is pretty much useless.

So, any more ideas?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 29-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #96
Emperor
Cookiefreak

CAP??? No waay. Thats the long way around

Just simply go into polygon mode, delete the poys u dont want and find the create button or right click in the viewport and choose create. Now clicka along the vertices where ur gonna create ur new face and VOILA
Old 01-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #97
eska

Hallo everyone, especially the 3dtotal directory

I am a new member, and I am very interested in posting some of my work in your gallery. I was trying the link SUBMIT, but it didn't function. Perhaps you can help me. I was thinking one can submit work and the comitee is deciding if this is possible or not. Am I understanding something wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Best luck to all

eska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #98
Mike-3DT

Eska - completely wrong place to post this mate. Try on the threedy discussion forum.

Zytrex - to undo an extrude, select one of the edges on the extruded polys (not the actual poly you chose to extrude, one of the new polys created that is 90 degrees from the poly you chose.) then select ring (assuming you're using max & edit poly,) & then choose "collapse edges", which is a lot quicker most times than welding verts anyway.

To select a poly & then the verts, download meshtools for your version of max & either set them up on a toolbar or quad. They have a tool where you can convert a sub object selection to another. (It may even be built into max 5 or 6, I can't remember,) but just choose the poly & then "convert to vertex selection"
Old 01-02-2004, 12:08 PM   #99
novoAlias
Found snow.

Send a message via MSN to novoAlias
meh does collapse edges fix all those wierd 'why does my subdiv surface look thrashed here'

if so... *loads shotgun and goes in search of vendor that hasnt managed to deliver max 6 to my door yet, "stop making excuses bithc!" BANG!*

btw this thread is helpful, and for making seams i suggest using meshtools as it can make 3 edges so the edge is nice n smooth rather than 2 edges ridiculously close together which makes selecting and welding a pain in the @ss
,,`,,`,,

http://forums.3dtotal.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=726&dateline=11981294  96

Last edited by novoAlias; 01-02-2004 at 12:11 PM..
novoAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:58 AM   #100
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
mike: aahhh. cool. i'll try that. thanks mike

blackwolf: what seams are you talking about? was that in reference to my post or some earlier post?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 02-02-2004, 01:54 AM   #101
geoMan
is studying.

well

anyway...the collapse is good too...but, cap is simple for an extrusion

anyways.....what bout my topic of discussion

We are dead without Meshsmooth
thread
Old 02-02-2004, 03:15 AM   #102
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
well, other than making that statement, what would the purpose of that thread be? one persons says they need meshsmooth and another says they don't. what's the point? also, why should it be separate from here. seems close enough to me, besides, if you make separate threads too often, only a few of them will be on people's lists and the others will be ignored. since i think it would fit in this thread i think you should keep it here so that it is more noticeable.

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 02-02-2004, 05:26 AM   #103
geoMan
is studying.

ow

o' c'mon zyr ma man! dude....its really fun to have some friendly debates
thread
Old 05-02-2004, 03:47 PM   #104
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Well, um, okay!

So, make your statement and provide evidence and we'll see if it goes anywhere.

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here
Old 17-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #105
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Mike: That works pretty well, both collapsing the edges or selecting the edges and converting selection to vertex, which is built in by the way. The only problem is that, in both situations, is that the positions are averaged. Original vertex is at z=1 and new vertex is at z=3 so when they are selection welded or collapsed the final vertex will be at z=2. Do you know a way to give one vertex position priority over another?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Materials Here