>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Speed Modelling Challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 21-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
Total Awards: 3
Here is my suggestion:

Marty, get in touch with Andy-3DT if at all possible - ask his opinion (maybe remove the names of who are no longer part of this thread). About the rules I really don't care, the original rules seem to be fine for me as they have worked this far. The wireframe "renders" should not be allowed, as the rules are clear enough "please post a screen shot/grab". If the user chooses a solid or true wireframe - then thats up to the jury to decide if the wireframe is clear enough. Also, I think you should set a goal for this thread when a final decision will be made or this could go on forever. Finally, I still so agree with Villane's comments in that I am not truely sure if everyone is sticking to the 60 mins and not just using 60 min +/- a few minutes as a guideline (which I also really don't care about, because I think there are some cool models/ideas/renders coming out of this challenge thread). I have never been able to figure out the jury for voting though - are you the only jury (this is more out of curiosity as I have not had any personal problems with the outcome decisions)? It just makes more sense in the other threads that the members get to vote, but after thinking about that - it could get quite complicated for the SMC thread. Maybe limit the entries per person to one final entry to judge on - ah I don't know I am just rambling..................

D,
With odd old ends stolen forth of holy writ,
And seem I a saint, when most I play the Devil."
- William Shakespeare

Diabolos' Windows Live Space [My Online Gallery] UPDATED: May 05, 2007

Last edited by Diabolos; 21-07-2006 at 01:05 PM..
Diabolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 01:55 AM   #17
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Marty_McFly-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Ok, there has never been a problem with wireframes that are "Open GL" shaded or "solid". I personally do not need to see all the way through the wireframe to judge it. At times, seeing through the wireframe can be distracting. Now if there are details on the rear of the model that are not being shown on the wire, then those details won't get judged. Simple as that... now if someone posts the wire of the back of the model as well... then that's great for them. Those details will be taken into account. In the end, just make sure it's a sceenshot.

Now, as for limiting the amount of entries per person... I'm not too sure about that one. Even if a person had 10 entries of exceptional modeling... it's not likely that all 10 would make it to the lists... may 2 or 3... but no more than that. So that one would have to go up for a debate.
Soon the world of 3D will belong to me!
Follow me on Twitter @McFlyGold
Marty_McFly-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 02:32 AM   #18
thegimp
Always Learning

yeah i dont agree with the "single entry" theory... sure it makes it easier for the judge. but, in the long run it doesnt let peoples work be seen. and then those works wont be critiqued...and so those modellers who need improvement (myself) would never get suggestions on those works...

just my opinion...

-=Wine Rack=-

-=Honorable Mention=-

-=Outdoor Grill=-
-=Patio Furniture=-
-=Footwear=-
thegimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #19
--Strattus--
Max Mad Man

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Yeah.. Single entries may be a little too restrictive.. Maybe.. 3 or 4 entries are enought...I agree with Marty.. that would really have to go to a debate...Although, I think that if someone could do 3 or 4 awesome entries, maybe why not 5? That would be the problem.. It may not be enought for everyone.. Well, that's just my opinion
--Strattus-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #20
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation 
ok ok - it was just a rambling thought -

D,
- William Shakespeare

Old 24-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #21
Villane

Send a message via Yahoo to Villane
hey don't bring me into this

Actually I tell a lie, there was that wheelbarrow one but hey who gives a damn!
Villane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #22
Diabolos
Evil MAYA useR

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villane
hey don't bring me into this

sorry
- William Shakespeare

Old 24-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
Villane

Send a message via Yahoo to Villane
hey no worries amigo!!, I'll stand by ya.
Actually I tell a lie, there was that wheelbarrow one but hey who gives a damn!
Villane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
KV99

Perhaps someone could explain a few things about how things work here..

I wonder what's really rated here? The render or modelling or creativity? Some have really good renders yet as far as creativity goes, they are not much at all. I thought this is a competition in the theory to model something to represent 'concept', but concept as such, in theory it should be creative?

Also, I did read from the rules that rendering time is not within the challenges entry time to keep things fair because of different hardware, but materials and textures 'on' that model? The rules state that the environment rendering, texturing and building is not, but I mean textures and materials on the model itself?
KV99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #25
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Vaher
Perhaps someone could explain a few things about how things work here..

I wonder what's really rated here? The render or modelling or creativity? Some have really good renders yet as far as creativity goes, they are not much at all. I thought this is a competition in the theory to model something to represent 'concept', but concept as such, in theory it should be creative?

Also, I did read from the rules that rendering time is not within the challenges entry time to keep things fair because of different hardware, but materials and textures 'on' that model? The rules state that the environment rendering, texturing and building is not, but I mean textures and materials on the model itself?
Ok, the prettiest render in the world can not make an average model better than average. It can make a pretty picture... but that's it. These challenges are about modeling, learning, and creativity. Attention to detail is what matters, the model doesn't have to be overly complex... but represent the idea of the model well. Personally, I would prefer everyone submit clay renders of their models... they show off the model better and don't hide the "flaws" that textures are sometimes used to cover up.

Presentation does come into effect here, but not in the way of pretty renders. Presentation is judged by how well the model is presented by the modeler. I know that sounds redundant... but what that means is, if your scene is too dark and we can't make out the features of your model... that's a bad presentation. If your wireframe is composited over the render hiding details of both the model and wire... that's a bad presentation. Those type of things can hurt an entry.

As for texturing time... that doesn't count for the model or the scene... you can make 1 model and spend a whole week texturing it if you wish... it doesn't matter for the challenges.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #26
DarkBoost

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in SMC #87 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 12
Interesting questions Kristo Vaher :P

I agree with you Marty_McFly-3DT but as you said, those people who do end up spending a week on texturing, lighting etc have gone above and beyond and this should also be taken into some consideration?

In the work place there are usually a team of people, a concept artist, a modeler, a texture/painter, animator etc... If you were someone looking at all these entries to pick someone to work for you, would you select someone who has multiple skills as mentioned above or someone who just produces a clay render?
DarkBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:47 AM   #27
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Well at our company Threedy Inc. we already have very talented concept/texture artists on the payroll. What we need are talented modelers who can show us quality work without the use of fancy renders. There is no special consideration for making photoreal renders since the challenge is all about modeling. Would you rather spend a whole week texturing one entry, or spend the rest of the week improving you modeling skills by making better models... thus increasing your chances of winning the challenge?

Besides, they can spend their time making the fancy render later... when they use that nifty Total Texture cd that they earned from that awesome clay render that won them the challenge.

Marty
Old 07-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #28
DarkBoost

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in SMC #87 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 12
I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from re. fancy renders. If clay models are what you are looking for then this should be advised in the competition rules as like myself I was not aware of this. I am taking these Speed Modelling Competition very seriously and would love to win a Total Texture CD as I currently do not have any.
DarkBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:17 AM   #29
Freek

Personally I spend the time on lighting and materials to get more experience there aswell. I really am starting to grasp mental ray better becuase of it.
Fully textured models are also more enjoyable to view and talk about in the topic itself. It doesn't add anything to the contest in terms of a persons chance of winning but it does make the experience as a whole more fun.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #30
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
I myself feel personlly that it's ll getting a little out of hand and a little off topic of late . To me it couldn't be simplier, each week the new topic/challenge is posted up, and we choose weather we wish to entry of not, we all learn from each other and develop our skills with modelling, i take the SMC very seriously also, and i've been very fortunate and lucky to win 1 weeks and i have a total textures CD, and i love it. I think that it's up to the members posting there models, if they wish to submit a clay render or render without textures, then so be it, alternatively if they wish to spend hours/days/weeks on texturing/lighting then again so be it, it's whatever the members are confortable with i think. at the heart of these SMC is the modelling aspect, and as long as we conform to the guidelines of modelling the topic of the SMC. It dones't really matter about the texturing or non texturing of the model(s). As after all, the judgeing will be on the way you have anaylsed the challenge and interpret it in the model(s) you submit. Anything else is just a visual eye candy or backup to showcase your building of the SMC. That's my take on it all anyway

Classic Gamer
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote