>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Modelling, Lighting & Rendering Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
xtremist999

Grainy renders in Vray

Hi there,

Hi there,

I've lit an interior scene up with predominately V-Ray lights and I've turn on GI. My settings are, Min rate: -4, Max rate: -1 and HSph. subdivs: 30. The rest are default settings.

I'm still fairly new to V-Ray and I'm wondering why my render looks so grainy? What kind of settings can I change to reduce the grain?

See the attached image
http://www.geocities.com/xtremist999/006a.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by xtremist999; 05-10-2006 at 05:54 PM..
xtremist999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Antievo-3DT
The Viking Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Antievo-3DT Send a message via Skype™ to Antievo-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Quick Reply:
This is a sample/subdiv problem in the renderer or in the material you are using. My guess would be that the samples in your VRay material and/or VRay light are not high enough. Can you please post more spesific material, render and lighting settings? That would help determine the problem.

Best Wishes,
Antievo.
Antievo-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Kage
Perfectionist...

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 5
Because its an enclosed space, there simply doesn't seem to be enough photons bouncing around.
Plus, those are vey low settings for renders. There okay for test renders at high res's, but if its a very small render, that low won't do it any good at all.

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Antievo-3DT
The Viking Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Antievo-3DT Send a message via Skype™ to Antievo-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Quick Reply:
Aha! My bad! I should have gotten' that...
I apologize for the unclear/fauly advice
Thanks for correcting me, and nailing it Kage.
Antievo-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
xtremist999

Thanks for the quick responses guys.
I've always just used those settings because they rendered images fast, but this was the first time I've used it in an interior space. That render was just using default grey Vray material by the way.

So what settings do I have to change to raise photons? or are there any settings I could change to smooth out the current grainy photons?

Sorry if this seems really obvious, its cuz I don't understand all of Vray's terminology.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #6
Kage
Perfectionist...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''The Z-5500 Speaker system'' was featured on the frontpage! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Try making the min samples 1 and the max samples 2, or if that takes too long, min samples 0, max 1, or min samples 1, max 1.

Also, turn up intensity on the lights, and put up the Moni-Carlo bounces.

Also, if you have a Vray light, set samples in the modifiy panel to more than 8 if thats what its on now. 12 is okay, and is alot less patchy on shadows (since they'll be alot in a room)

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Old 07-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #7
brentagain
Banned.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
yeah usually for test renders use the light map option rather than irradiance map.It`s a lot faster.
If your new to vray then using irradiance map for your final image just use one of the presets built in.A high preset will give you 4 passes a low will give you 2 passes and so on.
I high preset usually gives good results.
brentagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
tecsun
Frame buffer error!

Send a message via MSN to tecsun
I would suggest to use the irradiance + light cache to have a better result + render time during testing. QMC consumes quite a lot of time and give lots of noise. For the irradiance settings, I use min = -5, max = -2, it gives a nice result without any noise, so I think there is no need to increase the max rate value to positive since it will kill you with the long long render time.

Good luck~
tecsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Kage
Perfectionist...

Awards Showcase
-5, -2?... What resoloution do you render at? Using an irradience map and Quanti-Carlo with this sort of setting just looks awful...

Whats other advantages of using Light Cache?

Finished Projects:
Z-5500 Speaker Set
Xbox 360S
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
tecsun
Frame buffer error!

Send a message via MSN to tecsun
I used to render at 2500px resolution (the largest I done is at 5000px) and the -5, -2 doesn't give me any problem. In vray 1.47 it may needs to raise the max to -1 or 0 to get render detail area, but with 1.5 0 details enhancement, max=-2 (sometimes I even drop it to -3) already can handle quite well.

emm.. light cache is vey fast compare to qmc, I tested with a same scene, irradiance+light cache is sometimes 2x or more faster than irrad+qmc. I know qmc does give a lot of details and produce nicer result (sometimes), but in my case, irrad+lightcache bestsuite esp on tight deadline.

for light cache setting.... I sometimes used 300 only (if I forget it at all when final render at 2500), but in lot of my interior render, the result is not very obvious between low and high value of lightcache. I still can't figure out why, but Vlado recommended to use 1000 above though (if I didn't misunderstand the article I read) :P
tecsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
xtremist999

thx guys, i'll try out the differents settings