>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art
bottom-table-gradient

Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #271
dhruvsm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Smile

i thought i should also join in with some wips...

here one goes...tri count is 3932....done the uv layout...!!!

next will be a texture update...!!!

cheers...!!!
dhruvsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #272
Rhauk
~

This time I'm going with something a lil' higher poly than what I usually make.
It's an anime-ish character, and I "borrowed" the style from a game called ALiBAT (Rozen Maiden game, for those of you who have heard of it).

Edit: Major update (I'm getting the hang of this higher poly stuff now, hurr)

Not sure if I'm happy with the hair yet, and yes, I am aware that the head is too large for the body, I'm not going for a realistic approach here :|

Edit: I don't want to doublepost, so here's another update. Pretty much done with the body, I think. I left out the toes because frankly, I don't see why I would need to model them ´_`
Now I just need to come up with an outfit, blargh.

Tricount is around 2400.

Yet another edit: Gave her a longer neck, thought the old one was too short.

Editediteditedit Because I hate doubleposting: Gave her some real feet, I just came up with a reason to make toes - I haven't made any before, and I need the training ~

Redid the feet because I hated them.

Differences include:
-Longer neck
-Tweaks
-New feet

Last edited by Rhauk; 04-08-2007 at 11:39 PM..
Rhauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #273
bb0x
Artificial Soundwave

Send a message via MSN to bb0x
First of all, your deffiniatly getting better

the face looks good... the polyflow looks good also, the only thing thats not that good is the nose, and the ears... and the chin/lower jaw. I'm talking about poly flow here also... I know poly by poly modeling is a nice way to go, but first start out with primitves... if you know how boolean works to to work with that.. that way you will have the optimal shape for each part...

Like if you made a face from a sphere.. you would have a nice polyflow automatically, lets say you will make an ear out if a very flat cilinder.. you would also have the best polyflow posible (imo) booleaning it will have optimal shapes for both of the features (face and ear) but it will be one solid object. the tricky bit will be maintaining the mesh flow because you now have merged 2 objects into one... So i would sudgest before booleoning it that you try to align the vertces as good as you can...

I find it quite weird that there isnt any hair "before" the ear.. they all go right behind it... off course, texture can "fix" it.

Also the body looks a little bit out of proportions.. might just be the manga-ish look tho...
The mesh flow on the body isnt that great imo... the shoulder will not be deformning well enough i think. I'd sudgest trying to make the mesh flow from her breast right into the shoulders. I again sudgest that you start with primitives.. you would get a nicer meshflow since primitves have a pretty solid mesh flow.

Anyways that enough for now... I gotta go back to work XD

Last edited by bb0x; 06-08-2007 at 02:50 PM..
bb0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #274
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Rhauk: I won't get into the mesh flow because I don't know what you want to do with this character, but if it will be for animations, then a few areas like the shoulders will need some looking into.

As for proportions, she looks off because of two things, 1. her head is too big, and that is ok but mixing that with 2. long arms, throws everything off.
Shorten the arms and the whole thing will look that much better. Or, you can make the legs longer, it's up to you.

Tighten Up The Graphics On Level 3

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #275
Rhauk
~

Thanks for the constructive criticism, though I can't say I agree to all of it.
Here's a closeup of the face (with some minor changes from the last picture posted)

As you can see, there is hair in front of the ear. On one side, that is.

You keep mentioning boolean, and I know how to use it but frankly, I think boolean is one of the worst tools ever. It causes more trouble than it causes results, so if anything I'd merge the objects by hand, vert by vert. Now, I didn't do that in this case and in fact I can't even remember how I made the ear, but I don't see why the meshflow is so awful on it. I've also optimized the nose as best as I can without losing the shape, and without adding several loops all over the head some tris are necessary (breaking the overall "flow").
The jaw is basically just an extra loop added for roundness, otherwise it flows all the way down the neck so I don't see what's wrong there either.

What I do agree on is the meshflow of the body (especially the shoulders, I hate shoulders). Just checked and they deform horribly, so I'll have to redo them. Problem is, I don't know how.
As you mentioned, the breasts also break off the flow quite a lot, this is because I couldn't manage to get a decent shape without breaking it. Again, help is happily accepted +_+

Big Toe: I don't plan to do anything with it, it's just something I made for no real reason at all, but you're right about the deforming (since I will most probably rig it).
I can't see how you think the arms are too long, (or as you said "long arms". They go down to a bit above the knee, which is the avarage length of an arm (hell, I can touch my knee when standing with my arms down, but I do have pretty long arms).
The arms were originally shorter, but that looked very disproportional and off, so I lengthened them to what they are now. Same goes with the legs, though they were originally longer and then shortened.

~
Rhauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #276
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
for the arms, when theyare down by her side, they should be in the area of the pants pocket. Anything lower and it will look off. I would say, take a look at your self, but you have long arms, wich could be good if your back has a nasty itch.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 13-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #277
achmedthesnake

warrior..

achmedthesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 11:16 PM   #278
Kalango
Freelacer berseker >_>

looking nice achmedthesnake, but you could uyse more of color variations and color shading...just normal map looks like a clay guy...also some pores and desaturations/saturations on the right spots would work pretty nice
Old 20-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #279
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
a 498 tri toy robot model, made for the mini comp over at game artisans

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 21-08-2007, 06:13 AM   #280
TheWinterLord
Reretsiged Uesr

Klash120 how did you model the fence in your scene? thin cylinders? just wondering, im doing a highpoint environment atm.
btw your new project looks like it can really turn out awesome!

achmedthesnake nice model, you know if you played more with the specular color it can look so much better. like the skin has way to much specular, give the metal armor more spec and then make maybe some dirt on it with lower spec

also i think the normal map is inverted on his right arm.

BiG ToE-3DT i find the green guy kind of disturbing :P your robot got nice colors and with the background the simple thing looks really really good.
TheWinterLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #281
Klash120
{Senior N00b}

Send a message via AIM to Klash120 Send a message via MSN to Klash120 Send a message via Yahoo to Klash120
Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
TehWinterLord: Fence? scene? What? LOL. Ah yes, that environment piece...sad to say, but work on it has... um... diminished Anyways, I recall using a plane & used a grid procedure (Maya) for alpha + bumps. I've rotated the polygon's UV's to 45 degrees. I think that's pretty much to it

PS: Grande Toe~ Spiffy looking robot Mind if you post some wires & textures :P
Klash120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #282
Klash120
{Senior N00b}

Send a message via AIM to Klash120 Send a message via MSN to Klash120 Send a message via Yahoo to Klash120
Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Mmm, I don't see any posts here in a while...so...

In progress Hires model of a M270 for normal mappiness~ Going to start on the low poly sometime soon!

And to go along w/ the M270, missles~

Happy vertex wrangling,
- Cisco
Old 22-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #283
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Klash120: here you go:

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 24-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #284
Klash120
{Senior N00b}

Awards Showcase
BAMF-tacular Toe~ Is that all you've used?? Just one diffuse map?
The render from above came out quite spiffy
-Cisco
Old 24-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #285
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
there is a oppacity and a bump/normal, but for the normal, I just used the diffuse map and filtered it with the nvidia photoshop plug-in. And the bump was just a basic gery scale of the diffuse. Ohh, and I did what you did with Kross, I rendered him/it with lights and shadows turned on, plus I had the self-illumination turned up to 100%.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life