>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Animation & Rigging Help
bottom-table-gradient

Old 11-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Send a message via MSN to Bob Marley
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Copy/Paste Keys in 3DS Max???

Hey guys,

After a year animating with Maya, I have to get back to Max, and I m wasting time on little simple things, and that s killing me.

Can anyone tell me how to in the track view, select a key copy it and paste in on another key, or paste it somewhere in time where there are no keysas I want to have this option as a hotkey.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Bob Marley; 11-09-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Bob Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Pills

shift drag the key
Pills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Thanks : ) , yeah I understand I can do that, but, if I want to copy a key from one controller and then paste it to another key on another controller.

Or, copy a whole curve, and paste this curve onto another controller, how do I do that : (

I got pretty close by finding some script, but no, still struggling, of course I found the perfect script called key copier, that I could use CTR+C and CTR+V, but of course the link is broken, so i can just cry : (

Thanks

Last edited by Bob Marley; 11-09-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
you can rightclick > copy on an individual (erm) controller bit - eg the X component of a position controller and then paste that to another object

i've only done it in the dopesheet but I expect it'll work in the curve editor too

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Awards Showcase
Well good on you, thanks, we r nearly there, in the curve editor you can select actually one translate and copy it than select another translate from another controller and paste it, but you can only copy one curve by one curve and that's not good enough, I want to be able to select the 3 translate in one go.

And I still cant copy only one key, we can copy the whole curve only : (

Omg what s the deal with Max and animation, why does it have to be so confusing compare to Maya.

Any other ideas???

Aswell any ideas how to flip curves???

Last edited by Bob Marley; 11-09-2008 at 11:33 AM..
Old 11-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
you're stretching me now

you can reverse the animation on a track - I'm not entirely sure where the button is from memory and I haven't really got time to post this - let alone look for it

just from checking now you can copy an entire controller (position/rotation etc) so that covers the X, Y and Z

as far as copying a single key from one object to another goes I'm stumped I'm afraid.

there's always the align tool or script to fall back on

Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Awards Showcase
Well so no answers : (

Thats so awkward that you cant copy a key, whats the deal with that, and its Max v9, they should have thought of that.

Ow well, I m still looking for some answers so feel free to comment.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Awards Showcase
WOOHOO, just got the job, I ll start on Moday as a Max Animator.

So if I can get answers before that would be great but anyway, I M HAPPY : )
Old 13-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Bob Marley
Need to work more...

Awards Showcase
Hey guys,

I m a Maya user but have to get back to Max for animation, so I have a couple questions, if thats cool with you : )

- I want to be able to copy paste key(s) from one controller to another (I want to select a controller of a character click on one key (copy it) then go on another controller select a key and paste the values on it.)

- How do I copy paste multiple curves at the same time ( select the 3 translates from one controller and paste them onto the 3 translate of another controller), aswell be able to paste it on curves that already have animation and so be able to paste it after the animation I already have, and dont have the problem of loosing the animation I have.

-Aswell, thats what makes my life complicated, as I create a walk cycle, I create the couple first important poses with a character (not the biped) and I want to paste this poses to the character but on his opposite side ( right foot doing contact...etc now I want this animation on the left foot, and I dont want to have to reanimate it, just copy and paste what I have on different controller and on a different point in time).

I have been struggling to get it done, as in Maya you have copy-paste that makes your life easy, and I m really confuse that autodesk dont have this options. So their must be a way to do it, and for me to stop wasting time on such easy things.

Thanks you for your help guys.
Old 20-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
dagoose

heyho,

I'm in the same situation. Maya User which has to animate in max for a running project. The copy/paste thig was very helpful so. Now I'm searching for a way to insert a new keyframe without messing up the tangents of the previous and following keys. I found the tangent options in the lower right corner of max and tryed them all without any luck.

So how to insert new keyframes into an animation while preserving the tangents of the existing keys???

pleaaaase help me out.

cheers

dagoose
dagoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
smileface

Hey guys,
My Name Is Mina Ezzat ,from Cairo,Egypt

i have an answer to your question;
to copy animation keys from object to another object in max
1 - select your object you wont to take keys from
2 - go to Curve Editor (track bar)
3 - on the left you see the transform right click on it press copy.
4 - go to your second object.. you need to put keys on it... run to curve editor
go to the left and right click on transform and paste your keys.
& Enjoy with your Max World
smileface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
dagoose - that's probably not possible using bezier curves due to their nature - there are tools that'll smooth it out for you after adding keys

you could try using a different controller but obviosuly that has it's disadvantages.

as for copying a single key to another object or controller within the same object - I can't find a way to do it through the interface.

Old 16-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
ChrisDiaz

Found this a little confusing in the tutorial, here is what I did:

To do this select the frame you want to copy on the Track Bar underneath the Time Slider.

You have to have the Mini Curve Editor minimized to be able to see it.

Hold down Shift and left click the key and slide it to the correct destination.

There is an information bat at the bottom of the window that will tell you which frame you are at while dragging.

Let go of the mouse key to place the copy.
ChrisDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
Tjakalen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 1
Legend has it that in order to transfer keys from one object onto another in max you create a master block controller containing the data of the object you want to copy from, then you assign slave controllers to the object you want to copy the keys to. These controllers can then be collapsed into keys. Thing is though, you need to set up slave controllers for every component, position, rotation, scale etc and it's very buggy, never gotten it to work in my current install...

I have this retarded work-around I use when I need to transfer keys where I use the align tool and teapots (because I can tell the direction by their spout) as placeholders if I need a time offset and set keys manually.
Tjakalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
that would still only get you the keys for the full length of the track though right?

sounds like a handy means of copying keys on an object that has lots of animated tracks (if you needed to do it several times) but still doesn't solve the single key problem