>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR
bottom-table-gradient

Old 14-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #46
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
I'll take care of it.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #47
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Thanks BiG ToE-3DT, it works now.
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #48
xeni

Send a message via MSN to xeni
Smile

I have a question, when i finish the work where do i have poste my final work.

Many thanks.

Shkelzen Kernaja
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=64569
xeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #49
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
thats a good question, I'll find out, and let you know.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #50
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
Hello, I've just mailed the AVATAR guys and am waiting for instructions on how they want the structure of the final entries to be set up, so as soon as I hear back from them I'll get that sorted. It will need to obvious follow how they're doing things their end, so will let you know when we get this sorted

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #51
xeni

Send a message via MSN to xeni
hi i have another question, when you click to the 'THE THREEDY CHALLENGES-AVATAR' in the forum how do i show the image left hand side. because i am new to this website, i did take PrtSc shot and coloured my threed in red box.

many thanks.
tc from shkelzen kernaja
Attached Images

Last edited by xeni; 02-02-2009 at 08:15 PM..
xeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #52
-IdanI-

Send a message via MSN to -IdanI-
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
hey Xeni, what you need to do is first open your thread, than go to your first post click on edit than advance options. once the advance edit option diologue appears go to attachment tab and browse/attach your image from your computer and save and you are done. just keep doing that everytime you have an update. hope it helps.

cheers,
Idan
-IdanI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #53
FireSunFox

Hi, so what colour set is ok for this rbg or cmyk?
FireSunFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #54
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
I have a question, when i finish the work where do i have poste my final work.
Hello, I've heard back from the organisers of the AVATAR competition and I have been told that they will be creating a user gallery for all artists to upload their works to directly. They are starting work on setting this up now, and they will announce for us before the final date where and how everyone is to upload their work, in time for the deadline. They apologise for the small delay.

Quote:
Hi, so what colour set is ok for this rbg or cmyk?
I'm not sure! I would suggest you go with RGB as the main work is being done for screen, and then you can always convert the image to CMYK at a later date if the work is to be printed for any reason.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #55
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
So I have one question before I create my thread (a bit late I must ad)

I don´t know if I what to do a 3D or 2D image, or actually I don't know in which category my image would be placed. I use almost everything in 3D but then I paint over everything in photoshop so it looks more 2D.
In what category am I going to place my entry?
mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #56
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Hi mr_carl,

I've just recapped on the rules and it states:

Quote:
Categories

2D Illustration
3D Image
Comic (Cartoon) Style Image

For the 2D category you can use any 2D software package (Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop, etc.) and/or any traditional mediums, like colour pencils, acrylics or oil paints, to create the final image.

For the 3D category you can use any 3D software for modelling and rendering. For post-processing you can use any compositing software (Apple Shake, Eyeon Digital Fusion, Adobe After Effects, etc.). To clarify things, you must provide a clean render ("as is") without any post-production effects in a WIP sheet (see WIP Sheet section for further details).

For the comic (cartoon) style category you can use any 2D/3D software package and/or any traditional mediums like colour pencils, acrylics, or oil paints to create the final image.
Thinking it over, the rules require that if you submit a 3D entry then you must provide a clean render without any post-production as part of your submission, so if you're simply going to create models in 3D to then paint over, this may not be your category. I'm actually not entirely sure - it seems like you're borderline. Can you give me a more detailed outline of how you're going to create the final image, including the software you're going to use?

If you're going for a comic/stylised entry then you'd easily be fine in that category, as this one seems to encompass both 2D and 3D! But if you're not going for a cartoon/stylised image, please let me know some more info and I'll think some more on it ... I will also get in touch with the guys running the challenge to check on it for you.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #57
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Hi Lynette,

Thanks for such a quick answer.
So here is a quick walkthrou of the way Im working.

First I create the scene in Modo to get the layout I want. I then put some basic shaders on my objects and light the scene to get a ground image.
After rendering out the scene with the alfas, ao, reflection etc. channels I open photoshop and kind of recreates most part of the image, place textures and colourcorrect, creates background etc. and then Im done.
It files like Im on the borderline but I think have a great concept so I dont want to miss this challenge.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #58
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Hey mr_carl, I've just mailed the guys running the challenge so I'll see what they say. I'm tempted to think you're in the 3D category - it's tricky to say for sure without checking with the organisers, so I'll let you know when I hear back from them - shouldn't be long at all

Old 05-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #59
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
OK thanks Lynette,

So I will start a thread as a 3D image and if thets wrong I will change it.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #60
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Hi, I just got this feedback:

If you use 3D tools and other stuff just as helping materials and reference to make a 2D illustration, then it should be placed in 2D.

Does that help...?