>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR
bottom-table-gradient

Old 13-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
-IdanI-

Send a message via MSN to -IdanI-
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1

Hi everyone, I'll really enjoy this one I had an idea of making a mystifying female avatar like model for a while now and well this should be the perfect time and I am feeling pretty motivated. My main story that will be portrayed through my final image is as follows:

"The world as we know it has now perished, plunged into chaos. The union has crashed and world peace is no more, seeing how the situation developed and is getting worse The Gods have decided to use their abilities to create a being capable of retrieving peace, a descendant, The AVATAR! Combining their power the gods have created a rather beautiful being, a female like none have ever seen before, holding the power to either destroy or revive the world."

So the final image should pretty much show her, the AVATAR, descending upon the world. Her name will be Sapphire so I want to keep that natural mid Sapphire tones of skin. For now as far as color goes I think I will use a little skin color variation of violate and nice greenish grey eyes with a possible blue or white hair.

Software's used:
3ds Max
Photoshop
Zbrush
Brazil
Bodypaint

Good Luck everyone

LATEST IMAGE!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by -IdanI-; 17-02-2009 at 02:21 AM..
-IdanI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Alright everyone, I have devoted today for reference and image search and am currently working on a concept. Regarding the Sapphire AVATAR model I decided to base it off a real life supermodel, Klara Makedova. Concept will come tomorrow.

cheers,
Idan
Old 16-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
Hi everyone, I finally got to finishing the concept for the character. the pose as well as some of the features were heavily inspired by some of the artwork made by the amazing artist Bente Schlick. The final image will be: Sapphire the avatar sitting somewhere in her own dimension in isolation from the rest of te world looking at a bowl filled with holly water that enables her to see the situation the world is facing with, getting ready to descend upon them. Hope you like the main idea/story..........next up is the modeling fase.

Last edited by -IdanI-; 24-01-2009 at 12:27 AM..
Old 17-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
FireSunFox

Like the idea of the mask, would be cool to see some kind of image of the world below in the smoke, maybe? Good luck!^^
FireSunFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
hey man thanks on the feedback, certainly, I will change the view a little so the audience will be able to see the world below with a nice water ripple effect in the vase and a light transparent smoke. thanks again.

cheers,
Idan
Old 25-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
hey guys, its been a while since i posted anything. Well, I started on the model and since its the Holiday season I should have more time to work on the model. I shall post my progress later on tonight, nothing big just the eyes and the whole eyebridge area. I will spend a lot of time on the face, tweaking and so on since I want to achieve a realistic expression of sadness. I am also currently reworking the concept and pose, I will be removing her mask since her face would be the main focus of the whole image. the pose will mainly be Goddess Sapphire ascending onto the earth from the sky. hope you like the new idea and stay tuned for new updates along with a new concept.
Old 26-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
here it is, the forms are still very rough in some places but it will all be tweaked once im done with the head, I am currently texturing the eyes and building up a shader for them so I will post an update later on with the eyes in place.

Last edited by -IdanI-; 24-01-2009 at 12:28 AM..
Old 27-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
FireSunFox

Looking good, wish I know how to do any 3d work as good as that, good luck.
Can't wait to see more!!^^
FireSunFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
I know how , but maybe not as good.
I think it's the first 3D post of the contest with a W.I.P. 3D render, congratulation.
I also liked the idea of the mask, and you know, those are not always on the face...

Can't wait for the rest too.
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
revanto

Can I give you an honest to goodness tip? Don't spend too much time nitpicking about details at the beginning of your modelling. Just try to get a complete mesh made up first then you can make changes to the mesh later. Only take care of the small details near the end of the modelling process otherwise you'll end up wasting too much time. If you have Zbrush or mudbox then create a rough body shape and then retopologise to get your proper mesh.

Trust me. If you spend too much time trying to everything perfect just as you are modelling your character, the process will become frustrating.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Revanto
revanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 03:35 AM   #11
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the comments and suggestions, I will definatley take them into account. I finished off the face and skull features, here is a simple 3 point light rig and one brazil light, I also finished making the textures for the eyes, and used a brazil adv. shader for them (though I'm not too happy with the Iris colors, I want to go for a more smoky desaturated green color, rather than a dark colorized one). anyhow now onto the the hardest part of the head.............the EARS. I will also post some wire shots later on.

Last edited by -IdanI-; 24-01-2009 at 12:28 AM..
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
Hi everyone, new updates! tell me what you think any crits will be greatly appreciated. Next will be blocking out the form of the hair using some planes, I will later on use Hairfx for the actual hair. stay tuned!

Last edited by -IdanI-; 24-01-2009 at 12:29 AM..
Old 09-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
Hey guys, after looking over the face again i found out that the lips were just horrible and some of the features were too bold so i tweaked it a little, mainly in zbrush. here is a small image were you can briefly see some of the improvement. Though my main focus on this was for a hair paintover. I tend to take a snapshot of my model and than overlay it with the actual thing and just paint out the mistakes and refine them later on. As for the hair it was heavily inspired by the works of mythics and the darkelf. I'm thinking of putting a crown with jewels on her forehead.

Last edited by -IdanI-; 24-01-2009 at 12:29 AM..
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
+1 for better lips
You need to test the crown, under the hairs or above, it won't be the same.
The hairs always mess with crowns but it's funny, and there are plenty of different crown style.
I'm really interested about the jewels, my last try in 3dsmax to make realistic jewels was a failure.

Maybe a saphire?

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #15
-IdanI-

Awards Showcase
thanks for the feedback and kind words man. wonderfull work your entry as well and I hope you get back to it ASAP. working on the hair blockout and some of the jewels that would show on the head. stay tuned