>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR
bottom-table-gradient

Old 13-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Daniela Blanco

Send a message via MSN to Daniela Blanco
AVATAR - 2D - Daniela Blanco - The Curse

Hi to all,

I really love some dark and gothic ..........so I think that's where my concept came from.......I imagined at first some kind of tribe which has been cursed with some kind of "animal" or "savage" instinct...........turning this tribe in a not so pure human race....This made me thought about a crow.....well.......and from that I unfolded the idea and still may make some changes.....

The avatar is neither human nor animal. From the crow she inherited the smatness with trickery. From human race, the eager desire to subjugate the weak. From the curse she inherited the power (in form of energy) of entering the the other's mind with the only purpose of tormenting them. She kills with cruelty and live surrounded just by those who she chooses. The man kind has just two functions: turn themselves into her's and the other's food; and to procreate her race. They live in a dark and desert place, where the only forms of life are the curseds and the crows, with who they divide their meat. There are some lifeless trees with its twisted branchs, making their environement seems as scary as them.

I've started some sketchs ........Trying to focus on the character first.........I'm trying to play with some feathers, dread locks and crisp hair.....
I'll look for the environment later......hope to finish it....

That's it.........enough of writing.............sorry for my bad english, there must probrably be a lot of mistakes on my text......but that's what I could do....

Critics and comments are really welcome....
Attached Images

Last edited by Daniela Blanco; 05-03-2009 at 07:29 PM..
Daniela Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Daniela Blanco

Here is my wip.............I think for now I like the composition......I just need to come up with more details in both the scenario and characters.........
I have an idea of their clothes......if we can call it that......I wanted to leave them without clothes on the upper side of the body, with some aborigine paintings in their bodys..........but I don't really now if it's permitted.........as the rules says for keeping nudity to a decent level.............Any ideas of whta would be the decent level?

Here is my "final" story.........if I don't change my mind again.....

They are not human, nor animal. From the human race they inherited the eager desire to subjugate the weak. From the crow, the smartness with trickery. They kill with cruelty and live surrounded just by those who they choose. The men of their tribe has just the function of turning themselves into their food, but just after procreating their race.

In their world, the cursed are those who dominate. The other races that lives there do not dare to come near their haunted forests. Where also lives their closer relatives: the crows, with who they share their food.

The trees that resides there looks like an advice of the proximity of danger and death. With its twisted branch and some parts covered by feathers and crow’s pieces, it seems it has been also affected by the curse. The entire forest seems cursed, where one can not see through the thick fog that lies there in all seasons of the year.

There is a belief that tells that a curse transformed them in half-women and half-crow, and left behind some kind of magic, an energy that emanates from their hands and permits a silent communication between the tribe, performing as a call. They live in a tribal system where the stronger is the one who commands everything.

An old story tells that when someone approach their forests, the leader “calls” for her tribe and crows using her powers of communication. Some say about storys of tenuous lights that can be seeing on the perimeters of the forest. This is the call for the hunt. But no one knows for sure, as never someone who came across the cursed came back home for telling the story.

Well........my image is about the story from the last paragrapgh............I'll keep up with it and come back with new wips.....
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Don't feed the crows.

I don't know about the decent level, I'm a newcomer on Threedy. (Ask Idan )
But don't worry, the moderator are watching our threads, I'm sure that if you go under the decent they'll tell you.

Creepy concept, but it looks interesting, I'm waiting to see what's next.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
POSEIdOON

Really creepy, and i love it... i would love to see more of your drawings
POSEIdOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Daniela Blanco

Thanks guys.........
I started to paint it in Photoshop........just the B&W..........for defining the mood.....I also changed some things in the composition.............
I hope to post one more wip today until the final of the day......
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Daniela Blanco

WIP.....

Here it is............there's to much to do yet.....but it's a beginning.....
As I said I've made some changes in the composition and also fixed some anatomy issues...............but of course that is always more to fix......

Hope ou guys like it.....
And,,,,,,as always......critics and comments are welcome......
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
POSEIdOON

The body detail and shading are working great,
just the head i think its a little big,

but its not very important and i think this way it looks more creepy
and it works good with the environment

i hope to see more

Last edited by POSEIdOON; 07-02-2009 at 01:58 PM..
POSEIdOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
decosouza
Character modeler

Send a message via MSN to decosouza
Very dark concept!I really liked it. You're going great with the first sketchs. Good to see another brazilian in this contest... good luck to you and all the best!
decosouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Daniela Blanco

Poseidon: thanks a lot for the comments............I wanted her head to be big for giving a personality and as you said making it more creepy.....but it was exageretad ........so I fixed it.....

Decosouza: thanks for comments.........good luck to the brazilian people in the contest......

Another wip.............I changed again the composition..........and who knows how many times I'm going to redo it yet.....

I still need to fix more issues with the anatomy........mainly the hands....

Well.....hope you guys like it.........and I'll wait for some more critics.....
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Like the glowing in here hand, and the new compo looks better. keep it up.
mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Daniela Blanco

Thanks mr_carl.............I'll try to do some update this weekend.....
yours is looking great so far......but I've already told it in your thread.....
Old 15-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Will you keep it B&W? Or are you going to add colors after your B&W work?
I like the creepy face of your main character. The fingers necklace idea was original.
Maybe you should make some corrections on the flying crow's head, there is something wrong about it (I would use documentation), and add ground projected shadows.
Nice work so far, keep it up, I will keep an eye on this thread.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
Daniela Blanco

Washka.......I'm definitly going to add colors later..........I like to put a high level of detail before I work with some color.......just my way of working..........But I really have no idea of what colors to use.......I'll have to experiment a little.....
About the crow.......I changed a little its head......and added some shadows on ground....(still need to fix it better)......but the thing is that there are a lot of different species of crows........and from the references I'm using I think its head is pretty close.......just need more details.....
Thanks for the comments and keep up with your good work.....your character is awesome!

Here is one more wip.............I worked more on background and I'm trying to define how it's going to be the drawing in her body.......Is it wierd that it's not symmetrical?? what do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old 17-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
If you are thinking about the breast, I think it makes here look more real but maby make them a bit more the same.
I also think that the characters in the background shouldn't look the same, more randomness, other than that it looks great.
The crow looks good, maby a bit to short neck.
mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Daniela Blanco

Thanks mr_carl!!!!

After a long time......I'm back with almost no time for finishing it.....but I'll do what's possible.....

Here is my start on color.......what do you guys thinK?
Attached Images