>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR
bottom-table-gradient

Old 27-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Jibberwocky

AVATAR - 3D - Jibberwocky - Ghrom Forerunner

Just now joined to enter the comp. Coming in a bit late, I suppose.
Anyway, I got the idea for my creature while messing with my dad's false teeth while he was asleep and it's been slowly forming in my head since then. After hearing of this competition I started working up a story to fit it. The actual model I started on just yesterday, so it's a bit rough yet.

The Ghrom are a nomadic race of industrial profiteers, traveling from planet to planet in an unending search for energy. They need this energy to power their machines, which in turn will be used to build bigger machines that will need more energy. Anything that can be burned to fuel their industrial empire will be burned, and anything blocking their cyclic goal will be removed. It helps that they are on average a mere two feet tall, but their hulking mechanical do-nothings often cover hundreds of miles. Newly invaded planets are forever despoiled by endless machine cities within a few years and are promptly abandoned the moment all resources have been sucked dry.
The Ghrom's greedy, uncaring nature is plainly reflected in their physical appearance. With large teeth and emotionless grins, they have an air of relentless hunger about them.

Here's the latest.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jibberwocky; 23-02-2009 at 06:04 PM..
Jibberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Jibberwocky

Started roughing out the body and added some detail to the head. I wanted to go for a more gruesome look, so I decided to make his skin look like layered strips of flesh stretched tight over his skull. Sort of like the old skin on the surface stretches and frays rather than dying and flaking off. Like rawhide, or something. Did a little texturing as well, but it's still a very early first draft.

Old 30-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Jibberwocky

Cleaned and detailed the texture and added a bumpmap.

Lighting test.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Never said "Bite me!" to this guy.

Nice teeth.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Jibberwocky

Lol yeah, he would definitely bite. I was thinking about making the teeth look a little rotten, but I figure if teeth is all he's got he's going to take care of them. Thanks for the comment.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Thats some really big teeth dude, the glowing thing is a nice part as well and you are probably right if teeth is the only thing he got he will probably take care of them.
Nice modelling and textures keep up the great work.
mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Jibberwocky

Thanks a lot, man. I ought to have a decent update pretty soon. I'm gonna have to re-skin him though. He's got some seam problems at the moment, and I think I can make better use of space in my texture..
Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Mr.fE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
Looks cool and cute! It reminds me somenthing like EarthWorm Jim but meaner!!
...why not having teeth a little bit more "random" in position and with some missing shards...it might add realism and personality I guess...
Mr.fE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Jibberwocky

I've been planning on it, actually. If you look close, the edges of the teeth are still pretty angular. I've mostly been focusing on the head itself until now, but that's next. Thanks for the comment.

Last edited by Jibberwocky; 09-02-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom Send a message via Skype™ to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
he should be called Jawbberwocky instead
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Jibberwocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDoom View Post
he should be called Jawbberwocky instead
Lol. I'm not actually sure yet if I'll give him a name as such. Ghrom is the name of the race. I'm thinking individuals just get a title and number for identification.

I did some work on the suit and started thinking about what powers it. While the Ghrom are big on using energy for their machines, their pretty stingy with it when it comes to ground forces. No love for the grunts. So I came up with I nice load of BS called the Clockwork Fission Drive. Don't ask me how it works, this is logic on par with saying I made the kessel run in .5 parsecs. They just turn the key and it works for a while. The Drive is enclosed in the backpack. I'm in the middle of getting it in there at the moment.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
the backpack is looking really great, and I like how you come up with stories about this and that really sweet.
mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Jibberwocky

Thanks, glad you like it.
Old 21-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Jibberwocky

Finally got around to texturing the body. I was putting it off...
The upper body, forearms and boots are all meant to be a hardshell while the rest is a sort of flexible mesh. Hopefully it looks like that to everyone else. I know the contrast looks a little high, but I think it'll contribute to the look of the final scene if I don't screw it up.

Last edited by Jibberwocky; 21-02-2009 at 08:29 AM..
Old 21-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Mr.fE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
looks cool brother!

It's a fearsome sweety!!!

Keep Rocking!!

Mr.fE is offline   Reply With Quote