>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 29-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
THE Sculpting Challenge: Suggestions for future topics!

Hello Everyone,

I'm always asking people if they have suggestions for future topics in the individual challenge threads and then losing track of everyon'e brilliant feedback ... So I figured: What better than to start a thread dedicated to future Speed Sculpting Challenge topics?

So here it is; please feel free to post ideas/suggestions/feedback here! We'll check in on this thread to see if there are any gems amongst the suggestions and we'll create briefs out of them for you if we think the majority will enjoy the topic.

Suggestions also for base meshes are also useful! For example: do you prefer the real simple start-from-a-cube/sphere challenges as opposed to start from a pre-defined busts/objects? All feedback will be interesting and helpful!

Thanks everyone, looking forward to reading everyone's suggestions!

Cheers

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
mdale13

Send a message via AIM to mdale13
shields
cupid (for valentines day)
arms
decaying terrain/columns/walls/buildings, something non-organic.

it would be cool to do a bust sculpt again of some sort. but including a real human bust base mesh would be nice. i like the starting from cubes/spheres idea, but it feels like, especially for something like a face, i am fighting the technology more than my skill, since i cant subdivide all that high.
mdale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
hey mdale13, I like your arms suggestion ... it's making me wonder if we could have an anatomy challenge every now and again - choose parts of the body and sculpt them in really super cool detail? I mean, we could even keep it as simple as supplying a reference image/photo/drawing and everyone try their hardest to sculpt "the best". it would totally be devoid of imaginative creativity, but fantastic for developing sculpting skill and getting to grips with proportions etc...

I think bust sculpts when we provide the human proportioned character base mesh are great because you can jump straight into the sculpting work and not have to worry about starting from scratch - after all, these challenges are pretty short...

that's another thing open to suggestions: sculpting times. too long? too short? let us know what you think!

your other suggestions are also great; we've been thinking about non-organic challenges for a while but it's just getting the right topic isn't it ... definitely one to keep in mind! we were thinking thrones, altars - that kind of thing. so yep, non-organic suggestions also welcome!

basically, if people just throw their ideas into this thread then we'll always have something to check out and ponder over when we come to start the next challenge, so it's good for us, and you never know: you might even see your challenge suggestion up in the top news bar soon before you know it

Old 29-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
* grabs his pen and waits to take notes;

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
mdale13

Send a message via AIM to mdale13
self-portraits maybe? that may be cool.
tombstones
zombies
portraits of existing famous people (you provide the base mesh, we provide the image of the person we are sculpting. the perception of who is "famous" differs greatly from person to person so it would be good to have an image to compare)

maybe we could have a sort of mega challenge sometime. longer time frame, bigger prizes, more open base mesh.

i think for these short challenges, 5 hours is a sweet spot. i found myself done with the majority of the sculpting at 4 hours, and that final 1 hour was great to have to tweak stuff and add details.
mdale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
thee

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
really liked the challenges started with the bust-manimal-angelic-cartoon
So something in the line of that.

Maybe a piece of script and choose a character to model..

show an environment and we have to model an character who might live there(sewer, in a tower ,on top of an mountain etc)

create a family member of a well known movie character (sister E.T. Mother of Dobby etc)

piece art where the head is erased-we have to fill it in

mdal13-zombies are always good
thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
AndrewQ

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 2
the ideas out there already are pretty sweet, I also like the 5 hour time frame.

Celebrity
--(realistic or caricatured)
Animal bust
-- (realistic or cartoony)
Detailed weapon
--(Lord of the rings - the elven swords were super intricate, the orc ones had so much damage and shoddy construction. could be fun recreating that)
Robots!!!
--(may be too difficult with simple basemesh...)
Helmets/masks
--(from gladiator helms to tribal masks, could be interesting)

Last edited by AndrewQ; 01-02-2009 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: format
AndrewQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
julienN

Not very original but what about: monsters?

Maybe more orignal: Haircut?

Anatomie contest like arms, legs, Hands, feet etc, should be a great challenge too.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Very much like the Helmets/Masks idea! Nice one!

We're all discussing these suggestions over in a secret part of the forum where the forum staff get together and work out how to make things bigger and better for everyone, so do please keep 'em coming so we can keep on checking this thread for more ideas!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
julienN

I dont remember if Make your own alien have ever been done. (i'm not talking about Giger alien only).
Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
AndrewQ

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 2
what about implementing a specific art style, such as baroque sculpture?
AndrewQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:45 AM   #12
carbon-3

i would LOVE a portraits challenge. i really like trying to do portraits (trying and failing >.< heh. fun suff! crazy hair challange would be cool too
carbon-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
kazmamurat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thee View Post
really liked the challenges started with the bust-manimal-angelic-cartoon
So something in the line of that.

Maybe a piece of script and choose a character to model..

show an environment and we have to model an character who might live there(sewer, in a tower ,on top of an mountain etc)

create a family member of a well known movie character (sister E.T. Mother of Dobby etc)

piece art where the head is erased-we have to fill it in

mdal13-zombies are always good
i liked all of these ideas.

especially a piece of script idea, to choose a character from storyline would be very interesting challenge,

and also liked to create a family member or relatives of famous characters idea.
kazmamurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
thanks for all the suggestions guys, we're keeping them all in mind, pwomise more suggestions always welcome!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
i like the arms idea, or body part idea. we could do a whole series, like arms now, legs next time, torso after that, feet and hands, then some head busts. if you focus on one part at a time, the details could be much greater.
omnicypher is offline   Reply With Quote