>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives
bottom-table-gradient

Old 16-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
DWIV - 3D - Discmage - Brother Falbere

Concept 1 - Norm Warlord
Character - Dwarven Paladin
Weapon - PowerGauntlets
Source - Two mana canisters (interchangeable)

Concept 2 - Machine Scout
Character - Panther/Machine Hybrid
Weapon - Tail Mounted flame thrower

Concept 3 - Demon Lord
Character - No idea
Weapon - Fire / Lava
Pose - Looks fantastic in my head!

Personally I like the Norm the most, so I'm probably going to run with that. The machine thing might be cool, but I can't see it 'standing out' in any way. And the demon, well thats all about the pose! So I don't think thats going anywhere

Last edited by discmage; 21-03-2009 at 03:16 PM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Seems you're really liking the fire. Norm sounds good. If you get in a pinch for polys, you can always switch to just one canister on his back. Be interesting to see what tech level you use. Whether you go sci-fi, or old-school with a wooden barrel[s]. Nice start.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Cheers for that...

In all truth I wanted to make it a mix. One canister was water and the other fire...or other mixes...but the comp wou;ldn't like that. If I have time however I will make variations on the magic used...so I might have a water version, a fire version, a nature version etc...and then run with what works best.

Good point on the one canister..but as the canister is basically integrated into his armour/weapon I better make the 'most likely' choice initially.

I am hoping for a cross between steampunk, battlechasers and warhammer 40K stuff.

here is a closeup of his head. yay for Corn rolls and dreads!

Old 16-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
discmage

Awards Showcase
And here he is...he's looking a little TOO warhammer 40K ish, apart from the canisters...so I'm going to have to sort that out on the details I think. But I'm pretty happy with the concept.

Old 16-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
What's up with the left hand? If it's a book then it probably doesn't make sense to keep it...if it's some sorta claw thing that could work with what you have going.
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
discmage

Awards Showcase
Its a book, as he is a paladin. I doubt he would have it in his hand in the final pose of the 3D, more like hanging from his waist.

Knowledge is power after all.

Although I am thinking of ways to take out the 40K, and one idea is to go more steampunk Goth. So I am starting to lean towards a Dwarven Vampire We'll see how the concepting goes. Its strange how changing a colour scheme can veer your ideas on really strange tangents!
Old 16-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Indeed. The brain is a funny thing.
The hanging book would definately be better.
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Beindulin

Out the three, the first seems to be the most interesting/developed idea. Go goggles over the eye patch cause there is no steam punk without goggles

I'm all for seeing this guy head in a more steam punk/goth direction. Can't wait to see more
Beindulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
discmage

Awards Showcase
Dammit, decisions decisions...do I go with something I LIKE or something that has a better chance to WIN...

I love my powergloves idea...the goth thing seems cool too and a little bit different. But it doesn't really look like a Warrior...not in 'this' reality anyway. As much as they HAVE rewarded more stylistic models its not exactly one of the norms for placement.

Anyway, I am still playing with concepts...I don't really want to get to the 3D until I have the whole idea down on 2D pixel.
Old 16-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
discmage

Awards Showcase
Like so...the one on the left looks a bit...generic. The guy on the right looks a little more hardcore in regards to mage kick buttedness. I intend to initially keep the goth idea though in regards to materials...so mostly dark colours with mana highlights all through it.

As the weapon is a key point I will spend some time working out how they look. Definitelly going steampunk on thiose guys so cogs, glass etc here I come.

Old 17-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #11
discmage

Awards Showcase
Here is a batch of my latest...I'm still getting a feel for the character...through playing in Zbrush, photoshop AND Max I am finalising his proportions and 'basic' detail.

Old 17-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #12
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Looking good, looking good. The colors are looking nice, and your on the right track with the sculpting so far.
Old 17-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Wouldn't the rules allow one to wield the power of mana. Then the character could use the fluency of it and master it. ???

Then you could go with you idea.

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
discmage

Awards Showcase
I think this is the solid base I am going to be building off. So any thoughts would be appreciated. Even 'start again, thats crap and has no chance!' is fine if you really think that I really intend on pushing the texturing a lot, it may seem a little 'plain' at the moment but I'm really hoping to bring the rest out with a solid texture...as I do like the concept. Maybe he's not warlordy enough though?? I am also thinking he is looking to much like an old man prankster...powerful in his trickery...but yeah. It doesn't really ring 'power'. I don't really know if the judges are after that. I might rough up a moere 'dwarven' shape and see if that looks any better.

Last edited by discmage; 17-03-2009 at 01:26 PM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
I'd say you should make him a bit more bulky. Also the gloves are quite plane. If he uses fire then he has to enclose his hands from it .
Make 'em armored

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote