>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V
bottom-table-gradient

Old 18-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
grindill
Pixel Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Hey. BlueSummers, these are a great help. I just wanted to let you know that your work is definietly appreciated. And not just for the war. I used the Ultibolt for a project I had to do a while ago and it worked great. Only later did the client then want threads modeled onto the bolts. So, I had to write my own little script that made threaded shanks. Not nearly as elegant or versatile as yours, but it got the job done. Basically it created a plane, skewed it, bent it into a tube, extruded the edge loops into threads and then sliced off the overskewed top and bottom. It wasn't interactive at all so you needed to know exactly what you needed before you punched in the numbers, but it got the job done. Just wanted to thank you for the idea that got it started.
Dominance War III entry
Low Poly Challenge #20 Vehicle - U.S.S. Constitution
grindill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
DJdude
noobster

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
ya. I got that bolt script a while ago and I use it all the time.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian Send a message via Skype™ to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 3
Nice, the Max Packer - scales based on area thats the one I want!

Cheers~
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
I'm glad you guys enjoyed that one; maybe I'll get it up here as well. I meant to make Ultibolt support threads (and interactive), but the polycount was so high for that feature that it really would've wrecked the viewport.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Briefly, regarding MaxPacker, that code is...wow. I just opened it and it's a very orderly presentation of...just the worst kind of code. Lots of checks if windows are open- that kind of thing. I'll hopefully have this thing repackaged by the end of the weekend, but it's going to be my top priority.
Old 21-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Astaroth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Really great script BlueSummers
i'd have a request if it's possible, and if you have time, is it possible to add a button in the editable poly that divide the selected edge, just like the one in the editable spline?
Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Hrm...Yes and No. That script is definitely possible, but adding it directly to the editable poly window is much harder. Would you be satisfied with a Macroscript (toolbar item, menubar item, quad menu item, or keyboard shortcut)?
Old 21-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #23
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
OK! Bad news/good news time!

The bad news is, the insert vertex function in the PolyOp construct inserts only one vertex at a time, and that disrupts the edge selection every time. This means it's a tremendous pain to insert more than one vertex into an edge at any time. I'm really really sorry, but this would take all day.

On the bright side, I can think of a really easy work around:
1. Select the target edge (or ring of edges)
2. Use the "Connect" tool and use those settings to alter position/frequency of verts.
3. Use the "Remove" tool to remove the resultant edges.

You'll be left with the verts you wanted (See Image Below).
Attached Images

Old 21-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Is that going to be enough, Astaroth?
Old 21-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #25
Astaroth

Awards Showcase
thanks for the reply BlueSummer, the "connect way" is the one i usually use, and it works fine, i asked for that script only because when you are turning all the mesh to quad, having a button that do it in an instant is really good, expecially when you need an L workaround
but as you have said, it would be a great pain to script it, so it doesn't matter
thank you so much ^^
Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #26
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
You're very welcome!

For those who were asking about my old MaxPacker, I've come to the conclusion that it's not all that useful. Here's how it worked; see if you can figure out what the trouble is before you read the next paragraph:
Code:
For each UVW Cluster
  Get Ranking (usually from least occluded to most occluded)

Size the UVW clusters accordingly

Use 3dsMax Pack UVWs to pack the clusters together again (normalizing them).
Do you see the problem? The issue is that when the sizes are normalized and packed, there's no consideration taken for maximum usage of UVW space. If one cluster is super important (and therefore large), the final solution might be less UVW space efficient than a less theoretically correct, but more efficient texture sheet.

This image shows you what I mean. The left side is the undisturbed procedural unwrapping of a teapot. The right side shows 3 clusters scaled up because they're "more important". The left, more normalized UVW layout has ~21,900 unused pixels. The right, more disturbed UVW layout has ~25,000.

I believe this logic holds true in general- a more granular, homogeneous UVW clustering leads to a more efficient use of texture space. MaxPacker doesn't take this into account and it leads to a less efficient solution. UVW packing should be done by hand because then you can blend the importance and visibility of a cluster with efficient use of UVW texture space.

Sadness.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr. Bluesummers-3DT; 21-03-2009 at 08:51 PM..
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #27
Pickman
Richard Upton Pickman

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
So you're saying there's no magic button to solve all my UVW packing woes? Darn, just once I wish there was a magic button. Is it too much too ask? Oh well, thanks for at least trying.
Guess we'll just have to watch your awesome "Monday Movie" series, and be glad we have that.
Pickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #28
toxicspit

doing things by hand.. thats why humans are cool!!! otherwise robots would do everything. I always tweak my automatic unwraps by hand, because there are always pieces that end up being too big for the importance they occupy on screen. I hate seeing ambient/occlusion maps that are only done automatically.. you lose around 50% texture space if you don't tweak it manually and shrink the things that are really far away or barely seen. Don't be lazy... there's no free lunch.
toxicspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #29
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
will wire bundle work in Max 9? It loads up, no problem, but, I select the object I want the wires to "bundle" around, then hit create, nothing happens.

back to the 5 liter challenge for me.

edit: think I may have figured it out while watching you video. I selected an object, a single object, instead of a few objects. Lack of fluids will do that to a person.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day

Last edited by BiG ToE-3DT; 24-03-2009 at 11:14 PM..
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #30
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Well...I guess I'm not saying that it's impossible to get elegant, procedural UVW unwrapping. IMHO there are two flavors of automatic unwrapping;

1. "Ideal Procedural" like you see out of Zbrush. This is where the whole object is boiled down into 32x32 little undistorted squares. The layout isn't human readable and you can't edit it outside of a 3d-painting program, but in all other ways it's perfect. Full UVW space utilization and minimized distortion. Area is taken into consideration when sizing clusters.

2. "Practical Procedural" like you see out of very high-end UVW layout programs or by hand. We can pack it intelligently, but the slicing and sizing are usually done by hand.