>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V
bottom-table-gradient

Old 26-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #46
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
What does the error code in the little pink box in the lower left say?
Old 26-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #47
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
dear Santa,
I would like a script that splits edges according to it's UV pelt boundaries/those blue seams you can put in manually (whatever they're called) for christmas please.

I've been good honest

love from poo

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #48
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Juicy one, my little Poopie. Does it have to be the pelt seams, or can it be just UVW clusters? Let me look into this one and get back to you...
Old 27-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #49
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickman View Post
Well thanks again for trying. Ok lets try this again.

Script idea:
Ultimate Detach-detached objects maintain the parents stack.
For example if I detach the horns from my model they still have symmetry and turbosmooth(at 2 iterations with isoline). It'll save time if i don't have to re-apply those. And if it would work with skin, physique, or both then it would be very usefull I'm sure.
I'm thinking about this one too. How would this go beyond replicating the parent's modifier stack in the detatched objects? Are there special procedures that need to happen? How much time will this save?

As far as skin/physique goes, getting things to sync back up with detached objects could be pretty wicked depending on how dirty the detachment process is. This requires a little MXS researching...
Old 28-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #50
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
for the UVs either works for me, they amount to the same thing anyway

for that detach one...
From my experience skin will probably work out fine even if you dont bake the vertex weights before reattaching - detaching won't cause any problems, Physique will almost certainly give you a lot of grief because it's rubbish, unwraps are generally fine with this sort of behaviour and any topologically independent modifier should be fine.

The thing is, while it's an interesting technical challenge it does beg the question "why bother?". almost everything you'd want it to do can be achieved manually in a couple of clicks - if the script were running off a toolbar it probably wouldn't save you anything.

no offence meant pickman - it just seems a little unnecessary

Old 28-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #51
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Ugh; the pelt seam conversion to edge selection is all kinds of broken. It appears in the viewport, but for all scripting purposes, this function is a total lie. I'll get back to you Poopipe.
Old 28-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #52
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
that probably explains why the seams don't persist through unwrap modifiers - it could well be a dead end.

I'd go with the UV clusters then

Old 28-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #53
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Here're the two ways I see your proposal working, Poopster:
1. Get the edge selection from the pelt seams via
Code:
$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].getPeltSelectedSeams()
and then convert that into a geometry edge selection, and then use the split tool.
>> Problem: The edge seam bit array returned by this function is wrong. The edge IDs returned aren't like what the rest of the UVW modifier or object are expecting. It comes off garbled.

2. Use the built-in conversion from pelt seam to edge selection:
Code:
$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap5.peltSeamToEdgeSel true
and then store the UVW edge selection to a bit array that can be brought into the base PolyObject and converted into an edge selection. Then we can use the split tool.
>> Problem: This function doesn't create a real edge selection. It's the weirdest thing ever. The viewport shows an edge selection, but any other commands act on whatever edge selection was in place BEFORE you tried this command.

This is total BS. I'm starting to think this feature doesn't really work at all.
Old 28-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #54
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Yah, you're probably right. Selecting UVW cluster edges is probably a more feasible option; but this one was definitely easier if these functions worked.
Old 28-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #55
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Filed a report on the Area forums. Planning on getting ignored by Autodesk again.
Old 28-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #56
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
I've written out the entire script, the only component missing is getting edges from the UVW selection window to a useful bit array. Below is the code as it stands...

Code:
-- Split by UVW cluster by Mr. Bluesummers
-- Not sea-worthy.  Don't use this.

undo on
(
	local NumFaces = PolyOp.getNumFaces $
	local AllFaces = #{1..NumFaces}
	local FacesCompleted = #{}
	local Finished = false

while not Finished do
	(
		-- Get the next face to test
		NextFace = 1

while FacesCompleted[NextFace] do 
			NextFace += 1

-- Get a face in an element.
		$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.selectFaces #{NextFace}

-- Select the whole element, and convert to edges.
		$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.selectElement()
		$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.faceToEdgeSelect()

-- Get the current selection.  Get a new selection ready.
		CurrentSelection = $.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.getSelectedEdges()
		NewSelection = #{}

-- Select half the edges
		for b in CurrentSelection do
			if (mod b 2) == 0.0 do
				NewSelection[b] = true

-- Assign the new, half-selection of edges.
		$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.selectEdges NewSelection

-- Select open edges
		$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.openEdgeSelect()

-- Get the current selection again, prep another new selection.
		CurrentSelection = $.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.getSelectedEdges()
		NextNewSelection = #{}

-- Subtract the original half-selection from this current selection.
		for b in CurrentSelection do
			if not NewSelection[b] do
				NextNewSelection[b] = true

-- Set the selection with the result, and redo the open edge selection.
		$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.selectEdges NextNewSelection
		$.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.openEdgeSelect()

-- We now have the cluster edges.
		-- Get edges with UVW-based IDs.
		ClusterEdges = $.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.getSelectedEdges()

-- Get the edges with GEOMETRY-based IDs. FAILS!!
		-->> ClusterEdges = $.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap5.getSelectedGeomEdges()

-- Convert this to a geometry edge selection and split.
		-->> PolyOp.splitEdges $ ClusterEdges

-- Add the current cluster to the completion list.
		FacesCompleted += $.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap2.getSelectedFaces()

-- If the completion list is equal to all faces, we're done!
		if FacesCompleted.numberset == AllFaces.numberset do Finished = true
	)
)
I'm sorry, but without a way to convert UVW edge IDs to geometry edge IDs, there's no way to make this work. I already tried the vertex workaround, and it fails for triangles.
Old 29-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #57
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
hmm. thats a bit of a bugger.

getting the edge selection is the time consuming part and your code does that bit so it's not a dead loss

there could be a hack here somewhere though since manually adding an edit poly on top of an unwrapUVW (with an active selection) carries the selection up the stack.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #58
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Is there a way to select all edges that have different smoothing groups on either side? if not, would that be hard to script?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #59
Astaroth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
there's someway to add a modifier for the editable poly(even in the quad menu) that works as a push modifier on the fly, without adding the modifier itself?
it should push the selected vertex in the direction of their normal, is it hard to do???
Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #60
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
just use normal constraint in edit poly - its there in max 2008 or above