>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives
bottom-table-gradient

Old 20-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
mix_mash

DWIV - 3D - mix_mash - Zomlord Ghauss

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing so bear with me on this attempt. I may or may not officially enter the contest but I thought I'd challenge myself to see what I can do. Anyway, I've never really done this before because I have never really completed a 3d project before. I've always stopped after a while so I hope I can complete this. If I discover or use any interesting techniques during the process I may make a tutorial for it.

Anyway, here's my very, very, very, very rough idea.

Name: Zomlord Ghauss

Class: Demon Lord

Element: Darkness (I wanted to do lightning but that wasn't allowed)

So, let's hope I keep my mind on track and get things moving.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)
Attached Images

Last edited by mix_mash; 02-04-2009 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Came up with a name, finally!
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
mix_mash

Talking

Well, most of the things I had to do have been done so I can now focus on this comp. To be honest, I probably won't enter but I will see how far I can go with this. I'll consider it a learning experience.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to approach the creation and have experimented with ideas. I'm still at the concepting phase, though.

The first two pics are basically low poly rough versions rigged so I can get a feel for the basic idea and pose. I'll use these as a base then draw over them to get a better concept with more refined details and such.

The third picture is just me messing around in Alchemy. The pic took around 10 minutes to do (give or take a couple of minutes). Not the best details in the pic but I didn't want to spend too much time on it.

Anyway, I will post up more of my experiments as I progress. I will still try to make a serious final piece but I'm more interested in challenging myself to see what I can achieve.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

PS: I know the pics are crappy but no sense in giving best quality pics at this rough stage.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
mix_mash

I don't know if anyone is following this thread or not but I'll still post up my progress anyway.

So, apart from being VERY distracted by other stuff and health issues, I have managed to mock up a new concept in 3d via Zbrush and my roughing technique
(see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oQzY1xRAVg )

It's still very plain and the colours are just a basic visual separator but I'm hoping to use these pics to paint over some details and make him look cooler.
(see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOKq_Sbadbg )

I'm not sure what to put at the end of his right arm but it might be a skull dipped in silver which is melded into his flesh which focuses his dark powers.

Anyway, let you know when more stuff comes up.

Cheers

Last edited by mix_mash; 06-04-2009 at 08:51 AM..
Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
mix_mash

Still having problems uploading via the forum so these pics above are from Photobucket.
Don't forget to check out my vids. You may find them helpful in your work.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
mix_mash

Just a small texture test. I basically overlaid some photos to give some texture. Not really happy with any of it except the right arm. I got the texture from an animal carcass and it just fit nicely. I need to do some more serious work on this guy and decorate in a better way.

Cheers,
Paul

PS: The tattoo design is not mine and I won't be using it for the final texture. I just put it there for something different. I will use tattoos but my own designs.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Darbruce
It's an Hatastrophe!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
this guy is neat. please tell me he bludgeons people with the skull stub. the bicep on the other arm could be longer, it might be a bit too short to function well right now. (elbows usually hit the bottom of the ribcage around your waist.)

your call though.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
mix_mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbruce View Post
this guy is neat. please tell me he bludgeons people with the skull stub. the bicep on the other arm could be longer, it might be a bit too short to function well right now. (elbows usually hit the bottom of the ribcage around your waist.)

your call though.
Yeah, it's still a rough but at the same time I can still make the excuse that Demon Lords (according to the contest outline) "do not possess any human characteristics". I might be able to get away with a design with poor proportions
Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
mix_mash

Talking

I initially made it clear that in taking part in this contest that I also wanted to use it as an excuse to discover new techniques and speed up my own techniques. Anyway, a few days ago I decided to revamp my character a bit and decided to concept a bit using Zbrush more.

This first picture I made in Photoshop is taken from a male nude anatomy reference I got online. I used the tools to get the main elements that I wanted in my new design. Looks weird, right?

I then went into Zbrush and set this image to an image plane which I subdivided and the manipulated so I could get a better warp/liquify deformation than I could in PS.

There are lots of good reasons to use Zbrush to make the deformations including X symmetry and the smooth tool but I just find it more plain fun to use. And even though you lose details from stretching sometimes, you can always bring it back and forth into PS to add cleaner details and fix things up in general.

Now, I will use this as a basis of re-concepting my design. I think I'll just be happy to get a decent concept done by the end of the comp even if I don't finish with a low poly version.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 12-04-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
mix_mash

Oh, and here's a picture I made just for fun a few days ago. It's unrelated to the comp but I used Zbrush, photomanipulation in PS and compositing in PS to get the result.

I could never have hand painted the texture so using photos as a basis of texturing is always a good technique. Use it when you texture and you won't regret it!

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
ey! that photoshop/zbrush workflow for concepting is a good idea will try it sometime
Old 15-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
mix_mash

Talking New technique!

Hey everyone,

For those paying attention, I haven't done alot but I'm still experimenting. Don't forget that my goal for this comp is to get a final concept and not exactly a final model. If I do get a final model done then bonus for me. Anyway, here is a new technique I'm fiddling with involving pre-textured mesh parts in Zbrush.

Step 1)

Here is a mirrored skull image that I made using a photo I got online. It's not evil enough so I needed to make a change.

Step 2)

Using A zbrush plane, I deformed the skull to look more evil. The basic technique is in the last post.

Step 3)

In Lightwave, I created a simple mesh to project the skull shape and extruded it. I then applied a planar UV texture and made an atlas UV texture, too.

Because Zbrush doesn't like overlapping UV tiles, I had to go into Layout then bake the texture across to the atlas UVs so that the texture could be viewed correctly in Zbrush.

Step 4)

Here's the mesh object imported into Zbrush with the texture applied. Now it is simply a matter of sculpting my mesh around the object I want to attach the mesh to.

Step 5)

And here's the final result. Yes, it's still rough and nasty but that doesn't matter. It is a good basis for my concept design.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this and it's helpful to you. If there's any more tips I pick up, I'll pass them on.

Happy Dominance Warring!

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

PS: If anyone uses this technique for their entry, I'd loved to see the result.
Old 16-04-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War character! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
That trick with the skull image is so neat . A real time saver.

War General Pet Portrait-

Old 23-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
mix_mash

It's funny how easy it is to get distracted in life. Anyway, I was trying an experimental technique thinking that it would be better than just sculpting the model. But while the result was good, sculpting would have been faster. So, here is the result.

This is only part of the model and only partially refined (you'll notice that the front of the legs are more refined than the rest of the body). I plan to still add a hand and a massive monster head on the right arm. His head is actually going to be covered up with a faceplate so I didn't do any sculpting there, just a superficial form. Oh, and I forgot the single horn I wanted to add but that can wait. I also realise that parts of the anatomy are wrong but he's a monster so I can get away with it.

I doubt I'll get this done on time but will try to get something refined near the end of the comp.
Old 30-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
mix_mash

Smile

I know that by the time I've posted this that it'll probably be swamped by other posts so if you are able to read this, Lucky You!

Anyway, I struggled with a technique but I managed to get a decent left hand and right head (?) done. It's not as fancy most entries but my system can't handle heavy polygon counts. So, hopefully, I'll be able to get all the fine details with a bump map.

And a close up of the right head...

It looked so much more cooler on paper, though.

I'll try to get a low res version done this weekend and get textures done next week.

Provide feedback if you want. It'll be nice to here some.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)
Old 30-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
This is looking really cool. I love the head design for the arm. I hope you can finish in time, because I would really like to see how this turns out.