>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > AVATAR
bottom-table-gradient

Old 21-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
AVATAR International 2D / 3D Art Competition: THE FINAL RESULTS

The following is the offical translated article from the AVATAR team:

Dear AVATAR participants,

We are pleased to inform you that the AVATAR contest is finally finished. And before we announce the results, we would like to thank all artists who have participated in the competition, as well as the respective members of the jury panel and, of course, our sponsors. Thank you for all of your hard work and contributions to AVATAR.

In our 2D jury team we have 16 professional artists from all over the world, and in our 3D jury team we have 9 professionals from the CGI industry. We’ve sent messages to all corners of the globe and patiently waited for answers, because many judges were involved in exhibitions, conferences, working on illustrations, comics, video games, creating movies, MTV clips and groundbreaking visual effects. When we thought about the contest, we just couldn’t imagine the scope; the size of the event. And we are happy that we together we have finally finished.

2D ILLUSTRATION CATEGORY
Following the jury votes:

The first place winner is Alex Aparin (Russia)

1. Belibr - Landing of De Vardas

The second place winner is the mysterious Skadi

2. Skadi - Pirates!

And the third place winner is Anastasia Ovchinnikova (Russia)

3. Asia – Vagrant

Congratulations to all the winners!

We would also like to mention those works that weren’t included in the 2D finalists, but received high scores from the jury’s votes:
d1sk – Guardians of the Ancient Forest
Uk – Mistral
Vladimir – In the temple of Sun
MartinLuter – Reason dream
NorthernChild – Symphony of eternal waiting
Yurii Vais – The morning

COMIC (CARTOON) STYLE IMAGE CATEGORY
Following the jury’s votes:

The first place winner is Julia Betehtina (Russia)

1. Yuriko - Dragon

The second place winner is Victor Pyatkin (Ukraine)

2. Achilesov - veschegolovie

And the third place winner is Baranya Tamás (Hungary)

3. trashmito - Electrica

Congratulations to all winners!

We also asked the 2D jury panel members to comment on their favourite works and share some impressions and thoughts about AVATAR. Where possible we have retained the original style of writing of the jury members:

“Send my hellos to all participants, I wish them the best of luck with all future commissions. Keep up the excellent work!”– Donato Giancola

“The colour is very beautiful in Skadi’s (Pirates!) work … I like the illuminate originality and atmosphere in NorthernChild’s (Symphony of eternal waiting) … and great atmosphere in Asia (Vagrant) painting.”
– Ruan Jia

“All artists did a great job. It was very interesting to browse the artworks. I really like the work of Yurii Vais (The morning), I saw myself in the artist, and for me it’s the main thing. For the rest, I’m wishing good luck and lots of creativity! In the comic style category it was really difficult to choose the winner because most of the works are quite equal. I really liked the matchboxman … Yuriko’s dragon was fantastic, probably the most interesting work in the category … the forest entry is also good; reminded me of the Russian illustrations.”
– Andrei Riabovitchev

“It was not an easy vote, because the work was overall of a very high quality, so congrats to all participants.”
– Christophe Vacher

“Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the high level of imagination displayed throughout the entries for 'Avatar'. It was very cool to see each picture telling a story, ranging from the weird and bizarre to the curious and beautiful, all highly compelling. Excellent work all round, and many congratulations to the winner, whoever that may be..."
– Jim Murray

“Thank you so much for the wonderful images! Vladimir - In the temple of Sun - interesting story! Belibr - Landing of De Vardas - great characters, and lovely colours as well. Nicely done! MartinLuter - Reason dream - interesting characters!”
– Bobby Chiu

“Artworks are awesome.”
– Armand Serrano

“Cool works were participated in the contest”
– Sergey Kondratovich

“I think that a great illustration is a picture which dialogues with the readers. An erudite alchemy including narration, technique, characters, colours … The readers have to question and to be very keen to reach inside these new universes. The illustrator is a “conveyor”, a guide between the readers and the depicted creations. I'm really proud to see all these original worlds in process. With the AVATAR contest I discovered an impressive bunch of “rising stars” and I am in a hurry to watch and cheer the works of these new talents! Good luck for the future!”

– Vincent Dutrait

“I was quite honoured to be asked to help judge and I was really thrilled when I saw the wonderful high quality of the artists that were participating. I thought that the premise for the contest was interesting and original, and the various ways the contestants approached the premise made me envious of their imaginations.”
– Steven Gordon

“I am glad you invited me to vote, it was all EXCELLENT work!!! It was very hard to choose between the contestants. I normally am very hard on my voting but as you can see I was quite impressed!”
– Steve Marino

“This list is very strong, and I see why they all made it … outstanding work ... holy crap this stuff is amazing ... all amateur?”
– Ron Lemen

“It was a real pleasure to judge such good work, and such an interesting contest. I was very pleased with the high level of submitted works. There were many interesting ideas, but in my opinion, very few artists have managed to fully implement them. Also there was an impression that many artists haven’t developed their worlds deeply and just came up with very basic concepts.”

– Albert Garafutdinov

3D IMAGE CATEGORY
Following the jury’s votes:

The first place winner is Anton Gornakov (Russia)

1. Tonik - Shakty-Avatara

The second place winner is Vladimir Voronov (Russia)

2. gexogen - guard_of_lost_town

The third place winner is Gianluca Venturini (Italy)

3. outlander - Tree's Madness

Congratulations to the winners!

The 3D jury panel members also mentioned (both in voting scores and comments) the following works:
Gelena – Sirret
Muflon – Caravanner
EGGO – Codename "Leviathan"
ez5k – Vesta
We also asked the 3D jury panel members to comment on their favourite works and share some contest impressions. Where possible we have retained the original style of writing of the jury members.

“I could tell from the submissions that participants have put forth lots of energy and thought into this. It's a good way to challenge artists to execute their idea from their mind to a finish piece.”
– Sze Jones

“Muflon – Caravanner is my favourite because it is disturbing yet beautifully illustrated. It has a blend of Salvador Dali and Alice in Wonderland and I absolutely love that.”
– Francisco Cortina

“Some good entries, but most need work in figure/ground contrast. Good texturing and modelling in most. Imaginative designs. Congratulations to the winner!”
– Eric Hanson

“I really like Muflon’s – Caravanner work, very unusual, but at the same time recognizable characters with ethnic colours and its textures aren’t flashy (CG) but look painted. Also, I liked Gelena’s – Sirret work, beautiful woman. EGGO’s - Codename "Leviathan" has an interesting story, while gexogen’s - guard_of_lost_town has many details.”
– Valery Plaksin

“It was an honour to be a judge of the Avatar competition! I really enjoyed it and I appreciated the enormous amount of work and dedication you all put into this event! As I expected there were a lot of great artworks and it was hard to judge, however, I managed to go through them. I feel like I should be participating in these events to push my limits like the artists who are in the finalists!”
– JinWoo Lee

... But that's not all! We have SPECIAL PRIZES FROM SPONSORS! Corel and Wacom representatives selected the artworks for their special prizes nominations.

Corel's choice: Prokhorova Yulia (Russia)

Mistral

Wacom's choice: Alex Vinogradov (Russia)

IN 4 (Oduvanch)

Congratulations to all!

Once again we would like to express our gratitude to the members of the jury panel, companies who have sponsoring the event and of course, artists for your attention to the contest. Thank you!

With best regards,

The AVATAR Team
www.cgartaward.com

& Congrats to all winners from 3DTotal & Threedy!
Attached Images

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal

Last edited by Lynette-3dt; 21-04-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Wow, that's a nice selection of awesome works. Congratulations to everyone who participated.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
I see we got 2, 3rd place entries. Add that to the Theedy World Of Winners.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
mr_carl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Copngrats to trashmito and outlander for there third places and congrats to everyone else who participated it was allot of fun.
mr_carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Jibberwocky

Really glad to see a couple winners from this place. Congrats, everyone.
I really expected Caravanner to take second, though.

Last edited by Jibberwocky; 21-04-2009 at 07:12 PM..
Jibberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Congratulations to Outlander and Trashmito.
Ones of my favorites was skadi-Pirates, it has something ethereal.
Caravanner and Codename "Leviathan" could have been choosen too, but there was so much good works.
Nice job everyone, it was really an interesting contest, maybe see you next time!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Great to see all the winners fantastic work and especially good to see Outlander and Trashmito in there too!

You two guys should get a very special award for this, so if you would like to request 'platinum eye' awards (link in my signature) they will be given to you in 1 or 2 days!

Many thanks

Tom
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Congrats guys!
Some great artwork here. And damn there are a lot of Russians!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford Send a message via Skype™ to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 11
Very cool
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
outlander

Awards Showcase
The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: For producing some winning artwork in the Avatar interforum competition. 
I can't believe that I have reached the third place. It's really an honour for me. And I would be very pleased to receive the platinum eye. (by the way how can I request it? because I can't see any 'request award' button on the right corner)

Love you all, and see you soon in the next challenge!
outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Congrats Outlander, simply click on the Request Awards link in my signature and it'll take you through to the page where you can request your spangly new award. Well done, we're proud to have Threedy members in the finalists!

Old 22-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
outlander

Awards Showcase
The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: For producing some winning artwork in the Avatar interforum competition. 
My problem is this

And I have another question: because of the fact that I already have Vue, is there a way to "convert" this prize into something else? If it is not possible, it's not a problem however, I'll try to sell it.
Attached Images

outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
oh yeah!! hehe, ok well I guess Tom will need to send it to you manually - can you PM him please? cheers!

about the prizes I'm afraid I have nothing to do with prizes, this is all down to the AVATAR guys. if you PM me I'll give you the competition owner's email address so you can talk to him.

Old 22-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
zanman

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges #100: Hybrid Fusion Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Placed 3rd in the  
Congrats to all of the winners...Way to represent Trashmito and Outlander....
zanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 03:16 AM   #15
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Location: Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 2
I would like to say congratulations to Trashmito and Outlander. There was great work from everyone here at threedy, definately gonna join the competition next year as well.