>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art
bottom-table-gradient

Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #151
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Hey Raul!
Looks awesome! I was wondering whats your render setup, it brings out the details pretty effectively!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #152
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
im in xsi...do you still wanna know?
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #153
Raul

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
i may do a tutorial later on, tho for now. The trick is to use a shader that mixes 2 specular together. A very strong outdoor ligthing set up, is optional, but does make it look more natural. And what makes it look less cg is the ao.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #154
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
I didn't know you use xsi! Thats cool. I heard that its somehow better for animation then 3dsmax.

Thanks for the explanation

any idea for your next project?
Old 16-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #155
Raul

Awards Showcase
small update on my lp. shader doesnt like alphas..but i hear there are ways to get around it. If not, then i may just have to model in those little things.

Old 24-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #156
Z3D

HI Raul.;
I really lov yuor work , so
Rage it's amazing man! what you doing in this game?
I know it was so ****ing cool!
hug.>
Z3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #157
Raul

Awards Showcase
Yo Z3D, thanx!

Well, i dont really do much, just sit there and watch youtube videos all day long. Like everyone else. After all badass art just comes out of the blue! :P

Tho, my main deal is texturing...tons of texturing the landscapes. Is fun making things pretty!

Last edited by Raul; 24-08-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #158
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
I've been watching this thread for a long time and I don't know why I haven't commented on it yet. Really really excellent prop work Raul! I mean, you are putting together a real solid portfolio here.

What are you using to do your realtime renders? Marmoset?
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #159
Raul

Awards Showcase
buzzy - dude! im like a huge fan of yours! And thanx. Im slowly getting there.

I was using marmoset at 1st, then the 3ps shader came out, with their quality normal modifier for max. Which i think is beyond awesome! So i started using that ONLY because it woulf fix the weird normals generated by max. I have to say that i may like the new marmoset a bit better, but unfortunately it doesnt have a quality normal modifier.
Old 25-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #160
Raul

Awards Showcase
Ive been working on this textures for a few nigths now. Getting to the point where its starting to look like something

Old 25-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #161
Cordero

Awards Showcase
looks ace so far i would like to say something useful, but i can't so..
i'll just dance

anyway, do you think that the 3 point shader is better then the xoliul shader? or is it just different?
Old 25-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #162
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Looks really great! The dented, beat-up textures look excellent.

2 things I could mention - First, the rust on the blade looks somewhat painted on. Not sure how you can improve that.
Second, there is a squashed tube on the side of the motor (probably the exhaust port) and I bet it is probably round in real life, not squashed like it is in your model.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #163
Z3D

yeah Raul!
incredible textures!
'outside of the blue'
Z3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #164
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous Send a message via Skype™ to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here 
Total Awards: 7
The textures are amazing, I am totally loving the chipped off paint. i am guessing, this is all hand-painted? The rust on the barrel part is spot-on, though I agree with Buzzy about the rust on the balde. Also on the blade, not sure if it's error or not, check the image - the bolt color seems to be cutted off where the metal plate ends

Since I was in the overpaint madness, I looked at your topology and overpainted the barrel capping. It saves only two tris ( :-) ), but it is also better optimized for real-time rendering (or something like that, I have readed an article on polycount, where it was mentioned. I can dig it, if you want, but I am sure you have stumbled upon it already :-) )

Hope you don't mind my overpaints :-)
Attached Images

Old 25-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #165
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlatovous View Post
Since I was in the overpaint madness, I looked at your topology and overpainted the barrel capping. It saves only two tris ( :-) ), but it is also better optimized for real-time rendering
You might be referring to one of my post about smoothing due to the number of smoothing calcs that need to be applied to the middle vert vs quad calculations (or not!). Basically poles are bad if they increase the number of smoothing calculations per vertex in RT engines

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote