>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Myths and Legends - Nov 2009 > Speed Painting - "Hero Attacks"
bottom-table-gradient

Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Nato_VanDookie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Nato VanDookie - Hero - the unlikely hero

I'm in!
This is something totally new to me, I'm not into painting really(digital or otherwise). But I figured I'd give this a try as it gives me more practice with a character I've been working on all semester, and he's not ready for 3d yet.
The character I'm using is the Pessimist, he'll star in a series of shorts that I will ideally begin production of next year. But for this contest the Pessimist gets a restyling. For my illustration, the Pessimist is playing the brave knight rescuing the damsel in distress from the cyclops.
He's the unlikely hero due to his lack of bulging muscles or good looks. He's just an awkward, and awkward looking guy.

Here's what I've got so far:

Here's a rough scale chart as well as some props and objects for the background.

This is the composition I've landed on. It was truly the first thing I sketched, I tried and tried to best it, but the more i looked at it the more I liked it.

Good luck everyone!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
animationutz
Animation is life!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
good concept, reminds me a bit of a dragons lair style to it, ver comicaql and cool
"You dont' do it for money, or you're a monkey. You don't think of the bottom line, or you're a monkey. You don't think of it in terms of hourly wage, yearly wage, even lifetime wage, or you're a monkey. In the end you don't even do it for love, although it would be nice to think so. You do it because to not do it is suicide."
-Stephen King
animationutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
Nato_VanDookie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Thanks animationutz!

Some stuff I've been working on...

These are not indicative of the final quality I'm shooting for, just something threw together to get a rough idea of lighting and color.

comments/critiques?
Old 08-11-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
animationutz
Animation is life!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
deff lookin good, i liker your light study, its coming together very nicely
"You dont' do it for money, or you're a monkey. You don't think of the bottom line, or you're a monkey. You don't think of it in terms of hourly wage, yearly wage, even lifetime wage, or you're a monkey. In the end you don't even do it for love, although it would be nice to think so. You do it because to not do it is suicide."
-Stephen King
animationutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
very nice
have u been playing AQW lately, nato?

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Resenhista

Send a message via MSN to Resenhista
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
I loved your character designs, especially the princess, she looks so cute! =D For someone who's starting, it's a very good progress! Keep it up, I really want to see what's coming next =D

http://resenhista.deviantart.com
Resenhista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Brazucka

Reaaaaaaally nice! For real!

What if there is a crowd outside,
waiting anxiously to watch it“s hero
getting rid of the monster?

Brazucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
Nice work it does have a nit of Dragon lair feel to it. nice See thought dress.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
Nato_VanDookie

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Animationutz: Thanks man! That was a new step for me. I think it will be helpful once I start the final.

aby arty:Thanks! But I don't know what AQW is...

Resenhista: Thanks! Females have always been difficult for me, so I'm glad to hear that.

Brazucka: Thanks!

M_Cederstrom: Thanks, I appreciate the connection with Dragons Lair, that's some classic and inspirational 2d animation.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
good concept you have! I like the lightning and such. Though you might consider some changes to the cave opening..

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
nato more updates please!!

and about AQW ,well its a frst full flash MMO .

My 3D Thread
Old 16-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Resenhista

Send a message via MSN to Resenhista
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
I want more updates too! I really like this one =D

http://resenhista.deviantart.com
Resenhista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
J.B.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: concept character thread, voodoo steam punk fighter was linked from the frontpage! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: wining the first place on challenge # 90 Drunk. 
Total Awards: 8
realy nice, bring up the updates hihi we will spam you until you update (jk :P ) good job
Old 17-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
nato is missing since last monday ! need a cheering update

My 3D Thread
Old 17-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Nato_VanDookie

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the support everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates, I haven't forgotten about it, just not finding too much time between classes, work, and ... er ... Modern Warfare 2. But I'll have something by the weekend for sure