>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Armageddon - Dec 2009 > Armageddon - Matte Painting "2012"
bottom-table-gradient

Old 03-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
inveni0 - 2012

I wanted to get in on the last one, but I ran out of time. I'm starting this WIP thread in hopes it will motivate me to make time for this challenge. I've got 4 iPhone apps to finish, a website to build and a children's book to illustrate. All has to be done by the end of December, but if I don't make time for some "me" work, then I think I'm about to go crazy.

I'm going to try drafting some concepts soon.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
miledream

do you mind telling me more how to become a book cover artist?? Much appreciated
miledream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miledream View Post
do you mind telling me more how to become a book cover artist?? Much appreciated
Decide what type of illustrating you'd like to do. Find an agent that represents that type of book (look into a copy of the Writer's Market Guide). Query the agent. They'll request samples, if they're interested. Then, they try to sell you to a publisher.

Harder than it sounds, though.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
miledream

Personally I would choose sci-fi and fantasy, but I suppose this genre must be pretty saturated, since everyone likes doing this type of illustration.

Any chance you can share some insight? like which genre has the biggest demand at the moment? You don't have to tell me if you think you are revealing ur secret

thanks very much for helping
Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Personally I would choose sci-fi and fantasy, but I suppose this genre must be pretty saturated, since everyone likes doing this type of illustration.

Any chance you can share some insight? like which genre has the biggest demand at the moment? You don't have to tell me if you think you are revealing ur secret

thanks very much for helping
Actually, I do Children's Book art because that's really as advanced as I can get. I'm not sure what the demand is otherwise. I think most of the people you see around here and in other forums are trying to get into game or film art because that's really all they concentrate on. That really IS a hard field to get into. What's nice about literature art is that different publishers can hire you at the same time. You don't have to just work for one. Plus, it pays really well. For instance, a typical Children's Picture Book consists of about 15-20 separate drawings. Most publishers pay illustrators a $3000-$5000 advance against a small royalty percentage.

The real problem is that even illustrating can be rocky. That's why my cousin and I are starting our own digital publishing company on the iPhone. We've got some ideas for the format that no one's ever seen before. We're pushing for our first release to hit mid to late February. Future titles, however, will most likely have the illustrating contracted out. In which case, this forum will be my first stop to hiring talent. I love the quality this forum dishes out for 2D and concept art. It's rad.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
miledream

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Your stuff sounds really interesting, I will be happy to be considered when you need to hire any people to do art for you

I am just begging to get a job at the moment

Last edited by miledream; 04-12-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Your stuff sounds really interesting, I will be happy to be considered when you need to hire any people to do art for you

I am just begging to get a job at the moment
No problem. It's rough, even once established. But hang in there. A good agent is all the difference, though.
Old 14-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
I got screwed with no vasaline on my first book. Because the lady was a friend of the family we agreed that she would just pay for supplies till the book hit stores. 100 dollars later, she moved and I haven't heard from her.

So, any updates?

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
I got screwed with no vasaline on my first book. Because the lady was a friend of the family we agreed that she would just pay for supplies till the book hit stores. 100 dollars later, she moved and I haven't heard from her.
That blows. I've never done artwork for someone I know. Usually, it's web design. With web design, I tell them that, since I know them, I won't need to charge the 50% up front I normally do, but that they'll need to make full payment before the site is moved from the testing server to their web server. I've never had a problem with this method. I had a couple friends take a while to pay me once, but that was before I started using a testing server. If it's someone I don't know, then I generally collect the 50% up front because that's enough to keep it from stinging too bad if they back out of the final payment (which has never happened).

With artwork, though, I am usually dealing with a contract from a publisher, or through Elance, which uses an escrow service. So I don't really have a problem there, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
So, any updates?
No update, but I have an idea I'm kicking around. I've started grabbing a few reference photos, and I'm hoping to have a little time in the afternoon to toss together a concept. I just have to finish three iPhone apps first, but they're based on templates, so it shouldn't take too long.
Old 16-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Dang. I got another project offer from a past client. I don't like complaining about having enough work (it's about time it started to pick back up), but it really stifles my ability to focus on personal stuff. I might have to scrap participation in this.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Old 19-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #11
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
I managed to do a little.

And I mean a little.

1) I started with this image.

2) I took the starting image to rsizr.com and retargeted it to fit my purposes.

3) I did a rough block-in of the sky because I don't have all my foreground pieces together, yet.

Hoping to get more, soon.
Attached Images

Old 23-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
raulfabi

Send a message via Yahoo to raulfabi
Hi there,

You should erase the ducks on the water, normally I think they would flee in disaster days, rather the swin peacefully on the water he he .

And secon some cloud reflections on the water would be nice, in my opinion.
Go go and finish this thing.
raulfabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
atulkatdare

Send a message via Yahoo to atulkatdare
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
@inveni0,
gr8 start sir, waiting for nxt update...
atulkatdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Dr.Rno

Yessss, interesting, Id like to see the next updates too.....
Dr.Rno is offline   Reply With Quote