>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Armageddon - Dec 2009 > Armageddon - Matte Painting "2012"
bottom-table-gradient

Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Jaxko

jaxko - 2012

initial sketch

obviously a lot of the composition will be changed throughout process and a few new ideas may be incorporated. the scan hasnt came out too well basically, city destruction, evacuation plans to hospital after previous minor earthquakes (destroying homes, injuring people)
The black hole has lined up with earth (this has been massively exaggerated) and an aurora borealis type magnetic switching of the poles cause a beuatiful light show in the sky.

Jack.

Last edited by Jaxko; 03-12-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Jaxko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Jaxko

Im wanting to do an image based of quantum mechanics eg: Quarks, Squarks, Q-Balls, Cosmic Strings/Loops, etc... so im gonna redo the concept.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Jaxko

if anyone can see anything wrong with this tell me
Ive been piecing this information through my own knowledge and a few interviews with Prof. Brian Cox.
the audience should be assuming time travel with cosmic strings will cause these particles (+ more).
now that I have this science down I'm in the middle of putting a story/image around it.
back soon with a sketch.

Last edited by Jaxko; 06-12-2009 at 09:17 PM..
Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
miledream

I am no astronaut/rocket scientist, so are these information going to help create a 3d representation of ur scenario?

physic + matte painting, that gotta kick ass!!
miledream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Jaxko

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledream View Post
I am no astronaut/rocket scientist, so are these information going to help create a 3d representation of ur scenario?

physic + matte painting, that gotta kick ass!!
It will help me know how its laid out, have a hint of realism and the possibility that it could happen may give it a more eerieness. It probably wont help the 3D way though.. you should look up some brian cox stuff, hes very interesting and funny
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Jaxko

newest sketch:

the time machine is supposed to fill up the ball but I havent decided on the design of it, how does one design a machine that attracts 2 cosmic strings that could be infinite in length. Im thinking super-magnets atm somehow.
The ball I think is the B-Ball, as it ionizes particles it creates an aurora borealis effect, the small particles twinkling are a bad representation of squarks + Q-Balls, the black dot in the middle is the black hole and you can see everything in the background behind the sphere is distorted. (more than likely because of the mass of the black hole and cosmic strings.)
the story to the image is that:

A corporation has been perfecting the use of cosmic strings for time travel since 1991 with the studies of J Richard Gott, in 2012 they have perfected their designs and theories. Although Time travel is unquantifiable...

Last edited by Jaxko; 05-12-2009 at 11:34 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
Dr.Rno

Nice to see you there dude, and nice concepts....

Peace
Dr.Rno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Jaxko

colour sketch, just getting things right then ill be making things in 3D and collecting photos.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #9
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 7
I like the time machine idea.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #10
Jaxko

doing some 3D, blocked in the ground and a mountain and got the sort of plasma ball im wanting, ill be fixing this up and adding more 3D to this then I may do a camera projection or just render the frame full size and do a matte over this.
The perspective may be coming more ariel than before ( above a secruity fence ) this will allow me to involve more story in with the image.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
man! Your workflow is mind boggling!

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Jaxko

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon View Post
man! Your workflow is mind boggling!
Ill take that as a compliment
Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
ladlutcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxko View Post

Awesome work guys!!! simply amazing. Anyone have any tips to getting started with this sort of thing? stock photo sites, how you do things ect. I'd love to give this a shot next time so any info would be great
ladlutcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Jaxko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladlutcub View Post
Awesome work guys!!! simply amazing. Anyone have any tips to getting started with this sort of thing? stock photo sites, how you do things ect. I'd love to give this a shot next time so any info would be great
thanks man
yea finding the right images can be a pain, for references I use google, sxc.hu, etc.. and this site has made a library which seems to be pretty awesome:
http://freetextures.3dtotal.com/
good luck.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxko View Post
thanks man
yea finding the right images can be a pain, for references I use google, sxc.hu, etc.. and this site has made a library which seems to be pretty awesome:
http://freetextures.3dtotal.com/
good luck.
The 3DTotal textures are where I go now for all my textures.