>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Armageddon - Dec 2009 > Armageddon - Matte Painting "2012"
bottom-table-gradient

Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Eyecon : The Cleanup 2012

joining the FUN!

Heres my concept for 2012...

Story:

After a huge devastating earthquake that has destroyed half of the west coast, a huge tsunami, probably due to the fault in the western sea came in, as if to sweep out any survivors and hope... 2012

The final matte would be a bit wider than this one.

for the concept here it goes!

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Jaxko

beautiful lighting in this man. Love the towering cliff faces in the background.
Good luck!
Jaxko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Thanks man, those are actually buildings... just blocking them out for now

CGsociety Deviant

Old 09-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
MatejaPetkovic

he he. Common Eyecon give us some juice

M
MatejaPetkovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Update time:

Final concept and look, but I still have to choose what palette I should go for, I guess I need a little feedback from you guys... if you have any idea also on how to improve this one, I'm all ears.

Thanks Mateja, although I think I half understood what your saying... lolz...

CGsociety Deviant

Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
MatejaPetkovic

I was thinking more details, so we can better understand what you wanted with to do. This is already looking good. Waiting for more detailed sketch. Maybe wider format?

M
Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
thanks M, Yes I've placed some details on this one. I don't plan to go way too crazy, since I don't have the luxury of time... so something easier for me to handle...

I might proceed to the final matte tonight and try to make my experiments there... Yes definitely a bit more wider on this one... looks a bit cramp and the flash flood is not there yet... oh well...

Thanks fro the comment M..

CGsociety Deviant

Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
matellis

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
Killer composition!
matellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Thanks Matellis, here is an update and Really final composition, next up is the mattepainting process... starting with the background....
I somehow like the composition this way, with the eye being led to what will be the center of the image. It also shows the impending flash flood / tsunami entering the already destroyed city.

any comments guys?

CGsociety Deviant

Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
MatejaPetkovic

I think you should start with matte

M
Old 18-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
just a quick update, not final yet still geting the right elements, if fell that the center building is demanding too much attention, I might change it...

CGsociety Deviant

Old 19-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
DB-TUNING

Hi eyecon, nice to see you on a new contest!

Near the city do you want place a wall of water or ice

Waiting 4 new update....
DB-TUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Hi DB! Nice to see you here too!, The scene is after an earthquake. On the left side if the painting would be a huge tsunami coming in... since usually tsunami's come earthquakes... its sill very early on this stage... I still have to do a lot of experiments to finish this thing

CGsociety Deviant

Old 20-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
DB-TUNING

Very good idea eyecon!

I saw the 2012 movie and I love very much the scenes with earthquake and lands sinking into the sea!

Very cool!
DB-TUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
atulkatdare

Send a message via Yahoo to atulkatdare
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
@eyecon
gr8 work, gr8 sketches...i hv seen sum of ur mattes on cg tantra...
too helpful stuff, learnt a lot, thnx n waiting 4 da update...
regards~atul k.

Last edited by atulkatdare; 23-12-2009 at 01:40 PM..
atulkatdare is offline   Reply With Quote