>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery
bottom-table-gradient

Old 25-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #31
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
House's portrait is pretty impressive, nice work. On the girl, the perspective on her arm doesn't work, her arm is way to big for that angle. I found her breasts to be way to round and way to squeezed together. The light is a bit erratic on this one and I can't really determine from where does it come.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #32
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
The Dr.House drawing looks ace

I really like the backlight (on the ear) and the overall lightning. The fact that it leaves out some areas is also quite nice since it gives a much better feeling =).

Ps: Some of the brow detailing came a bit close to the hair, but that's not really an issue...

I agree about your comment on the straight copylike works you find in the industry today (even though I find some of them really ace). What might most disturb is the fact that a lot of people only look for absolute mainstream instead of seeing the concepts, the artists' ideas.
But I must also add that I'm not talking about the realistic paintings but the copylike works (which I said before).

Cheers =)

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #33
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Hi again

Quote:
House's portrait is pretty impressive, nice work. On the girl, the perspective on her arm doesn't work, her arm is way to big for that angle. I found her breasts to be way to round and way to squeezed together. The light is a bit erratic on this one and I can't really determine from where does it come.

Thanks Avatar-3DT I appreciate the constructive comment:
It's not just the perspective on her arm, it's all the image's perspective that s*cks. I've already cut the arm's size twice (look at the GIF), maybe I'll cut it again.
I messed up with the breast too, my corset doesn't look like a corset.
In fact the corset squeeze even more, and push up (and out) the breast.
But she's got small ones, my result is kinda strange, I don't really know how to correct that, should be far more squeezed I think... Maybe.
I've also messed up with the shoulders, the neck and the face. Can I add the thigh?
In fact, I'm not really happy about this pirate work I did for a test, I won't use 3dsmax's biped again for posing and lightning, wasn't really a good idea...
I wonder if I should make even more corrections on this one or restart everything.

Thanks too hulahuga, I'm a bit proud of this one but shhht, secret, vanity is bad.

I share your opinion about the absolute mainstream too, and you know I appreciate realistic results. I just try to defend creativity and feelings against technique.
But I think that in fact our work is enchained to the technique, and a lot of people are just thinking about big awesome technique and they forgot they're communicating something or trying to.

My point of view about technique, (even if actually it's quite the opposite for me because I'm learning), it's that the guy making an image should master/use the technique as a tool, even if he don't know it.
This word I use: "master", has to be understand more as a hierarchy concept than the usual meaning, that's important.
That's why we need to focus onto "the absolute mainstream" to learn how to easily domesticate the technique, but...

But there is a trap there, a lot of people just end enslaved to the (or their) technique, and then it's the technique that dictate their actions, and you feel it in their work. Even in my work.
I think that technique should be used as a tool by men, and not that technique use men as tools.

And we always want more and more (me too), so we never stop to learn, and technique is growing more each decades and get more complicated to achieve better result, so you've always got something new to learn, it's a neverending cycle.

I think we should more focus onto the things we truely want to communicate than just focus onto the technique, even if both are linked. But that kill da "technique" 's market, it kill da big moneyflow.
Ok I'll stop now, or I'll end making a book...

New post:
-Gif of pirate (for Avatar-3DT)
-Pirate (last version)
-Slug WIP (conceptual serie)
Seeya space cowboy!
Attached Images

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #34
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Just look at van Gogh . And what begun to define the era: Art for Art's sake...

The pirate looks neat, but the stomach bugs me a bit. You might also want to think about adding some more mass to the side of her mouth (I see a beginning of a line there, but you must continue on it).

One thing you might think of is the use of liquify and the warp tool. It might help in tweaking a lot of different shapes.

The detailing on the hat looks pretty nice as well .

AAAAAaaaah, monster slug!
The "front" looks really mean, but the back body looks a bit soggy. And it also seems to be closer to the viewer than the front, which looks a bit odd.
Mouth and "face" is ace btw =).

Cheers!

WIP
Old 26-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #35
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
Whenever in doubt, use references. Its the beauty of the web, you can find references about ANYTHING.
I made a quick paintover that hopefully will give you some pointers. I didn't fix that arm, was too hard to do on that image but I changed the posture. Hopefully, you'll find something useful in all this.
Attached Images

"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #36
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
For Avatar-3DT:
Hey thanks man!
In fact I did a research of references before I started this one, got something like an hundred images about pirates, caribbean, female pirates, sexy girls, weapons, costumes...
Even good corset. And you're right you can find everything onto the web.
My problem is that I'm not using enough my ref, I should, my bad.
But you know, for me, the challenge here is actually the posture, and I want this arm in front with the sword, on the foreground, and a top view (so I should scale up even more the face and rework a plunge effect onto the corset ).
You've given me a lot of pointers here, I really appreciate that, and I'll use them for my corrections.
I'm especially talking here about the breast and corset part, skin tones, smooth and more specular on it for the skinned parts (stomach too).
I'll try to rework the lightning.
About the head, smooth I copy that, I prefer my eye's expression, but I'll close them a lill' bit more, I'll try to follow your lead for the lips, need to work more onto this face.
And I'll do some corrections for the costume, like the idea of the braid too.
Thanks!

hulahuga
Art for art's sake. I've been thinking about this recently, art for art, but the big problem of this artistic flow, it's that it has become not "art for art" but "art for artist".
And the biggest problem is not even that: it's that "art for art" has become some big mystery thing, completly un-understandable/incomprehensive for common people. So I think it's turning to a waste.
And this flow is just getting away from the public, art is "dying". People don't understand anything about what the artist wanted to do, and they finally don't give a sh*t about it. (Sorry)
Even if this flow is quite a big revolution and has brought tons of new stuff onto art's world I like.
Somehow, I think they're missing something, missing the point, or maybe I'm.
But those are just some thought, don't be serious about it.

About pirate I'll rework mouth and stomach, for the slug: the body part in foreground is actually wanted, this one could also be a "tongue". Thanks for nice comm'!

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!

Last edited by washka; 27-03-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Old 27-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #37
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
I understand you want a huge body on the slug, but you loose the depth a bit by having it in the foreground the way you have right now...

Cheers

WIP
Old 27-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #38
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
How can I correct that?

Speed I forgot to post yesterday:
Attached Images

Last edited by washka; 27-03-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #39
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Nice speed, work this style

le dernier est de toute beauté!!! ...mais il mériterait une lumière venant de gauche ou de droite pour mettre du volume encore plus!

...parfois cela me fait penser à du Kekai Kotaki!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #40
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Put the body behind him? Try looking at images of dragons or something, the usually have that, or perhaps at snakes.

Nice new pic . You might want to elaborate a bit on the mouth a bit more, as it looks quite interesting .

WIP
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #41
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
i like the speed painting as well.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #42
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Hi from cyber

Thanks for comm's guy, I'll make those corrections, I need to do some big update post with all corrections for a lot of images, maybe next week or next one, don't know, I need to add my GTTG work too...
Kekai Kotaki, I like it.
Kind in an hurry on cyber, just a small update, one is a speed, the other one is a more personal WIP:
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #43
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
oO!! the latter two are superb!! ..solid
Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #44
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
the witch one looks really cool.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #45
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Wow, I love the fire

You might want to bring out the colors a bit more with the flowers (but that will come later on since this is wip right..)

WIP

Tags
illustration, nexus, painting, speedpainting, washka