>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery
bottom-table-gradient

Old 23-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #91
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Couldn't catch the pigeon but...

I'll try, I've been thinking about a shotgun too but maybe the neighborhood won't like the noise.

Some speedpaint concept onto a 3D matte from a friend, I should make some fix onto the upper part of the armor/head, and maybe some more details...
Attached Images

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #92
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Hell yeah ! Awesome drawing.

Give him a bit more weight in his pose with the feet and you have a killer!!!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813

Last edited by hulahuga; 23-05-2010 at 07:16 PM..
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #93
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
this should look really good, i agree about the weight, love the concept drawing.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #94
hardtack

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' 
Total Awards: 2
you have a very amazing and unique style. I would really love to see your style applied to something more story driven. maybe a collaboration is in order.
hardtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #95
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Thinking of your new comic are we Hardtack?? :P

WIP
Old 23-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #96
hardtack

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' 
Total Awards: 2
Haven't thought that far ahead. I just know potential when i see it.
hardtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #97
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
In fact, for me "comic" work is some BIG BIG BIG work, and you need some really good scenario for a good comic, a good scenario is a lot of work.

Then there is the concept, chara, decor and style research and the "cutting" work of the action, something like a storyboard with composition research, layouts, lightning, colors...that's also some big work I've even not mentioned the lienework and I4m missing a lot of aspect of it.

I've put " " for comic, because I'm considering manga, cartoon stuff and what we call here "Bande dessinée" (translation is something like Sketch band) in the same group.
I know I'm reducing tons of styles but that's it.
In my country comics is already a sketch style, something like the marvel school. (Superheroes)
In fact there is a lot of sketch style like manga and comic that are quite commons in a lot of countries, cartoon too, people copy that but I think every guy sketching's got its own style, its own personality, in my opinion.
I know that when you're doing 2D animation, every animator follow one style for the homogeneity of the work but that's another story.

So I'm actually looking for some really (really) good scenario stuff that I can adapt to my style or that my style can adapt to, but I'm not sure yet if I'll make a comic, I could.

I said I'm not fixed yet because I know if I do a comic, I may follow some kind of philosophy/rule that will be really hard for me (because I'm a lazy guy):
"You've made some nice stuff? Hmmm, interesting... Now make an hundred ones like this then choose the best of it, eliminate 80%, and concentrate.
Oooh, there is something bad there, it's not working. You've worked a week on it? Too bad, just trash it and start again."

I'm exagerating a bit, but that's some lesson I've learnt: "When it's good you can always do better." And I can be very critical.

Something I can also do is to tranform, I can enhance something, see the 3D matte there, more I go into details more It takes time, but if there is already an idea I can work on it, that's something I can do, I can sharp it more and more, you know polishing work.
But if this idea's already got some interesting content, some nice inspiration, then it's even better for me, it feeds me, my creativity, I even work better on it. Interesting isn't it?
I'm like a sponge, please don't call me bob. xD

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!

Last edited by washka; 23-05-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Old 24-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #98
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
So who want to collaborate for some serious stuff?
It's like some kind of demonic pact. Mouahahahah! (evil laught)

Old 24-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #99
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Ey Sponge-bob! . I might be up for it . Question is what though...

WIP
Old 24-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #100
polysmooth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My current DWIV entry was linked to the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime Style'' 
Talking Nice Sketchbook!

I just looked through and read ur sketckbook....Some nice work in there...But just as important I've read what u have written and u seem to be driven by the art...I love to see speed paintings with visible strokes and imperfections. Nice job..
Old 24-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #101
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
hulahuga: The question is wich scenario? Maybe something sci-fi or fantasy like? Wich kind of scenario could work? Action? Drama? Humoristic? Dark? Other?
I think something like 6 boards is a good start for beginners, what do you think about it? And what can you do/want to do?

Thanks polysmooth, I like imperfection, half unfinished piece, dirt and stuff like that but I also try to do better than last time, so I hope those'll help me to progress on my way.
In fact I think the best tool for painting is not technique or even your eye, but it's what's beyond your eye: your brain, your sensitivity, and your sensibility. The rest is hard work.

Even if I may look like some stupid narrow-minded donkey (I'm a bit like a donkey), I listen to people, and I try to understand what they said to me, and when I get some fun onto a painting, I try to remember it and correct what I can.
I criticize a lot pure technique but I know that the basis are the most important. In fact I'm not completly driven by art, people help me, and people possess technique, so it's some fair backup, don't you think?
I'm still waiting for your amazing demonsgate from Dominance War IV, will you finish it some day? Donkey've got good memory.

Started something (photo ref) for GA's Frazetta tribute:
Attached Images

Last edited by washka; 24-05-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Old 24-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #102
polysmooth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My current DWIV entry was linked to the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime Style'' 
Nice work on the panther....
Frazetta was a very good artist...loved his proportions..

Wow...u really do have a good memory lol... Ill get around to him one day....got some pretty time consuming models I'll be posting in the next few weeks...
Old 25-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #103
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
I also remember it, was a great piece of that spiderlord . Remember all your subtool work as well with the web and all :P.

@Washka... Well a couple of fantasy pics would be great to do . I'm a bit better at drawing in black and white than in color, so I guess you could do some of that , might be a good mix.

WIP
Old 25-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #104
darknake
trust me

Send a message via MSN to darknake
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I love the concept but i think the 3d model is a big job to finish it
darknake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #105
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Hi

Ok so fantasy, black and white for a start is nice (we'll see about colors later), so next is which type of fantasy style? And then wich kind of scenario? It's a six board one (If you're ok with it?) so it's quite short, and I don't want to concentrate too much the action all da time.
I think we shouldn't focus on something too classical for the scenario but more onto something where the style can fully express (visually), so that's we need to fix the style first, here are some questions to get it a bit more clear about the style and some additional questions about other stuff we maybe should start considering.

1)Something more like classical fantasy like D&D or Lotr Tolkien?
2)Something more like warhammer, big war style?
3)Something more dark fantasy, thriller, horror or underground like?
4)Something more lively like forest faery style with crazy cartoon mushrooms and imp? For lill' children who like candies.
5)Something gore and hardcore? Let's cut heads style?
6)Something with magical fantasy, with epic summoners?
7)Demons? Dragons? Knights? "Just focus onto one type" style? Power and doom/ gods?
8)Big bad monsters? Lot's of trap? Jungle fantasy?
9)Manga fantasy, you know, chocobo and stuff.
10)There are plenty of other styles...

Additional questions:
-A story with no hero? One hero? A group of H? Antihero? Superhero or something else?
-Want to focus onto the landscape? The characters? The bestiary? The buildings/environements/athmosphere? More onto action and scene?

Ok so those are some questions I would like you to answer if you want to.
I'll give you my opinion about those 10 styles:
1) Booooring if we don't get a bit of poetry onto the scenario or some original stuff, because classical fantasy has been seen and seen and seen and...(ok I stop)
2) Epic battle is a lot of work, a lot's of detail and I'm not sure if it could fit onto 5 board, or just one short battle.
3)Could be interesting but need a good scenario, hard to find a really good one for this style, too much B series and zombies movies killed a bit da style...Black color will help.
4)Don't know if it'll work with me, it'll get too funny, people won't understand, my humoristic taste are not synchronized with actual modern society, and it'll turn satiric, but it's an option. Colors will miss a bit.
5)Seen and seen and... But if you like big axes, blood and skulls, will be some action, expression and dynamic work, could be interesting if you like grimace.
Could be mixed with 4) for some crazy stuff. Can also fit with 2) 3), 6), 7), 8), so much violence...
6) 7) and 8) could be put in same group, discipline and philosophy, again it'll be the scenario that will make everything, and even if we can graphically work more onto "The" one style of the "choosen stuff", it's still kinda classical, but more special than pure classical.
9) "Easy" if we don't aim too hight on quality but even if I like manga, I'm not sure I actually want to draw those.

About the additionals:
hero or not will depend of the scenario, on a five board I think a group is not a good idea, I would prefer no hero, one, or something else.
Classical hero, superhero and antihero have been seen and seen and...ok
So if we make one of them, I would prefer we make some
extra-over-super-mega-hero or some anti-nihili-void-hero, or something else.
Maybe the style and scenario will help this choice, so think about wich kind of work the style will require when you answer and wich one you like, you can mix too.

Have fun!

Last edited by washka; 25-05-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Tags
illustration, nexus, painting, speedpainting, washka