>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 22-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
3D Character Modeling With NURBs for animations/advanced information

Hello everyone

I'm just starting to learn about 3D Character Modeling With NURBs for animations and I want to learn all about 3D Character Modeling With NURBs. Not only head Modeling With NURBs but I also need full Advanced Modeling tutorials and high quality advanced informations With NURBs Character Modeling.
So if you have a model with a 3D Modeling With NURBs and if you think is good, please could you post a picture of it here? What do all you say about making a 3D Character Modeling With NURBs?
Also could you please send good advanced tutorials links about making a 3D Character Modeling With NURBs?

I heard that big studio like Pixar "use what best fit them for the task. Subd, Polys or nurbs all have their up and downs, they all have a place in 3d for specific jobs. Perso go from nurbs and convert them to poly and finish in sub works for me but certainly not for big studio like Weta or Pixar, they have their own workflow"
Attached Images

Last edited by eydi; 22-03-2010 at 10:20 AM..
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Fenixy
Threedy Spy Master

Send a message via ICQ to Fenixy Send a message via MSN to Fenixy
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #17 The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Sculpting Challenge # 18 Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art #18, well done! 
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydi View Post
I want to learn all advantage of 3D Character Modeling With NURBs.
there is none.
Fenixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixy View Post
there is none.
it may for you Just let me ask you if it has no advantage why at DreamWorks modeling is currently done using Nurbs?
Old 22-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Surely they use NURBS for rigid parts and polys for the characters?

You could ask www.escapestudios.com what they think, their lecturers used to work for Pixar.
I_AM_DAVE_COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_AM_DAVE_COX View Post

You could ask www.escapestudios.com what they think, their lecturers used to work for Pixar.
I certainly have no idea I just reading CG society forums about Nurbs modeling
you can take a look from here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-327650.html

So I have opened this thread. Could you please send good advanced tutorials links about making a 3D Character Modeling With NURBs?

Last edited by eydi; 22-03-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Old 22-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
From what they are saying it does seem like they model in the way I posted above.

I have tutorials for character modelling in nurbs as it not my area and I do not feel there is any.
Old 22-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
From what they are saying it does seem like they model in the way I posted above.

I have tutorials for character modelling in nurbs as it not my area and I do not feel there is any.

Do you mean you are writing tutorials about nurbs character modellng ? I have looked your blog but I couldn't find any....

Quote:

Thanks for giving link and thanks for response I appreciated that you took the time to write it. I'll take a look at that link :www.escapestudios.com

Last edited by eydi; 22-03-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Old 22-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Wheez

I think this might be in the wrong forum. lol
Wheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydi View Post
Do you mean you are writing tutorials about nurbs character modellng ? I have looked your blog but I couldn't find any....

Thanks for giving link and thanks for response I appreciated that you took the time to write it. I'll take a look at that link :www.escapestudios.com
Sorry I meant to say I haven't got any.

My bad.
Old 22-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Vrednia
...will never grow up!

Send a message via Skype™ to Vrednia
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I got third place in the Speed Modeling Challange  
Total Awards: 1
My personal opinion is this: it doesn't matter whether NURBS or poly, thing is the final result. I personally never used NURBS, but read alot about it and I think it is a nice method for modeling and maintaining nice flow, but the same results could be achieved with polys with a little more clicking, it depends on the experience I think. Hope to see something from ya soon, I'll be interested Cheers
Old 22-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrednia View Post
My personal opinion is this: it doesn't matter whether NURBS or poly, thing is the final result. I personally never used NURBS, but read alot about it and I think it is a nice method for modeling and maintaining nice flow, but the same results could be achieved with polys with a little more clicking, it depends on the experience I think. Hope to see something from ya soon, I'll be interested Cheers
I agree with you that it doesn't matter whether NURBS or poly, thing is the final result. But some animation studios are using Nurbs Modeling. And I do want to learn NURBs Character Modeling and I can't find any good tutorials about Nurbs Character modeling.
Old 22-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I believe only Blue Sky and Dreamworks use NURBS, but you can bet their NURBS are integrated differently than the standard tools in Maya. Stitching as it is in Maya is just is far to great of an issue to be used productively in a pipeline. I'm guessing they use something more in line with T-splines.

But even then I have a hunch that Dreamworks switched to polygons after integrated Mudbox in their pipeline, that is unless they have some crazy conversion method to bring everything from the models to the textures/maps back to NURBS.

I would just stick to polygons because your better off doing something exceptional with polys than something sub-par with NURBS.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 22-03-2010 at 05:07 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy4004 View Post
I believe only Blue Sky and Dreamworks use NURBS, but you can bet their NURBS are integrated differently than the standard tools in Maya. Stitching as it is in Maya is just is far to great of an issue to be used productively in a pipeline. I'm guessing they use something more in line with T-splines.

But even then I have a hunch that Dreamworks switched to polygons after integrated Mudbox in their pipeline, that is unless they have some crazy conversion method to bring everything from the models to the textures/maps back to NURBS.

I would just stick to polygons because your better off doing something exceptional with polys than something sub-par with NURBS.
Thanks for your reply I really appreciated that you took the time to write it but still I couldn't find any tutorials about nurbs character modeling...
Old 23-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Think this amazingly awesome 3d artist did a some nurbs modeling over at cgsociety in this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=43&t=307349. The images are gone though, too bad.
Old 24-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
newhere
Work, art and videogames

Send a message via AIM to newhere
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: or participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band'' 
Total Awards: 7
Here is a character i made using NURBS for animation:

The trick to modeling a character with nurbs for animation is to make sure that all of the specific "joint" areas you are going to use to animate with are modeled correctly.
"Life is like a video game that you have to play seriously. You can't just push the start button if you fail and come back in with everything you know or everything you have gained over a period of time."
~Newhere~

Angel Mars (Nudity)
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75414
Queen's Blade Vol. 12 ~ Cattleya
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=62172
Dominance War V - God Of Enlightenment:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82875
newhere is offline   Reply With Quote