>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home
 


top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator
 
eydi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 148 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
3D Character Modeling With NURBs for animations/advanced information

Hello everyone

I'm just starting to learn about 3D Character Modeling With NURBs for animations and I want to learn all about 3D Character Modeling With NURBs. Not only head Modeling With NURBs but I also need full Advanced Modeling tutorials and high quality advanced informations With NURBs Character Modeling.
So if you have a model with a 3D Modeling With NURBs and if you think is good, please could you post a picture of it here? What do all you say about making a 3D Character Modeling With NURBs?
Also could you please send good advanced tutorials links about making a 3D Character Modeling With NURBs?

I heard that big studio like Pixar "use what best fit them for the task. Subd, Polys or nurbs all have their up and downs, they all have a place in 3d for specific jobs. Perso go from nurbs and convert them to poly and finish in sub works for me but certainly not for big studio like Weta or Pixar, they have their own workflow"
Attached Images
 
__________________
my facebookpage

Last edited by eydi; 22-03-2010 at 10:20 AM..
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Fenixy
Threedy Spy Master
 
Fenixy's Avatar
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Italy
Posts: 557
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to Fenixy Send a message via MSN to Fenixy
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #17 The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Sculpting Challenge # 18 Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art #18, well done! 
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydi View Post
I want to learn all advantage of 3D Character Modeling With NURBs.
there is none.
Fenixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator
 
eydi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 148 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixy View Post
there is none.
it may for you Just let me ask you if it has no advantage why at DreamWorks modeling is currently done using Nurbs?
__________________
my facebookpage
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher
 
I_AM_DAVE_COX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: A flat in Birmingham
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Surely they use NURBS for rigid parts and polys for the characters?

You could ask www.escapestudios.com what they think, their lecturers used to work for Pixar.
I_AM_DAVE_COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator
 
eydi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 148 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_AM_DAVE_COX View Post
Surely they use NURBS for rigid parts and polys for the characters?

You could ask www.escapestudios.com what they think, their lecturers used to work for Pixar.
I certainly have no idea I just reading CG society forums about Nurbs modeling
you can take a look from here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-327650.html

So I have opened this thread. Could you please send good advanced tutorials links about making a 3D Character Modeling With NURBs?
__________________
my facebookpage

Last edited by eydi; 22-03-2010 at 01:42 PM..
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher
 
I_AM_DAVE_COX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: A flat in Birmingham
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
From what they are saying it does seem like they model in the way I posted above.

I have tutorials for character modelling in nurbs as it not my area and I do not feel there is any.
I_AM_DAVE_COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator
 
eydi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 148 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_AM_DAVE_COX View Post
From what they are saying it does seem like they model in the way I posted above.

I have tutorials for character modelling in nurbs as it not my area and I do not feel there is any.

Do you mean you are writing tutorials about nurbs character modellng ? I have looked your blog but I couldn't find any....


Quote:
Originally Posted by I_AM_DAVE_COX View Post
Surely they use NURBS for rigid parts and polys for the characters?

You could ask www.escapestudios.com what they think, their lecturers used to work for Pixar.
Thanks for giving link and thanks for response I appreciated that you took the time to write it. I'll take a look at that link :www.escapestudios.com
__________________
my facebookpage

Last edited by eydi; 22-03-2010 at 03:02 PM..
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Wheez
Registered User
 
Wheez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this might be in the wrong forum. lol
Wheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher
 
I_AM_DAVE_COX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: A flat in Birmingham
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydi View Post
Do you mean you are writing tutorials about nurbs character modellng ? I have looked your blog but I couldn't find any....




Thanks for giving link and thanks for response I appreciated that you took the time to write it. I'll take a look at that link :www.escapestudios.com
Sorry I meant to say I haven't got any.

My bad.
I_AM_DAVE_COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Vrednia
...will never grow up!
 
Vrednia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bulgaria, Neverland
Posts: 143
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Vrednia
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I got third place in the Speed Modeling Challange  
Total Awards: 1
My personal opinion is this: it doesn't matter whether NURBS or poly, thing is the final result. I personally never used NURBS, but read alot about it and I think it is a nice method for modeling and maintaining nice flow, but the same results could be achieved with polys with a little more clicking, it depends on the experience I think. Hope to see something from ya soon, I'll be interested Cheers
__________________
BULGARIAN
Vrednia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator
 
eydi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 148 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrednia View Post
My personal opinion is this: it doesn't matter whether NURBS or poly, thing is the final result. I personally never used NURBS, but read alot about it and I think it is a nice method for modeling and maintaining nice flow, but the same results could be achieved with polys with a little more clicking, it depends on the experience I think. Hope to see something from ya soon, I'll be interested Cheers
I agree with you that it doesn't matter whether NURBS or poly, thing is the final result. But some animation studios are using Nurbs Modeling. And I do want to learn NURBs Character Modeling and I can't find any good tutorials about Nurbs Character modeling.
__________________
my facebookpage
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Crispy4004
Registered User
 
Crispy4004's Avatar
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I believe only Blue Sky and Dreamworks use NURBS, but you can bet their NURBS are integrated differently than the standard tools in Maya. Stitching as it is in Maya is just is far to great of an issue to be used productively in a pipeline. I'm guessing they use something more in line with T-splines.

But even then I have a hunch that Dreamworks switched to polygons after integrated Mudbox in their pipeline, that is unless they have some crazy conversion method to bring everything from the models to the textures/maps back to NURBS.

I would just stick to polygons because your better off doing something exceptional with polys than something sub-par with NURBS.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 22-03-2010 at 05:07 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #13
eydi
Freelancer Illustrator
 
eydi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 4
Thanked 149 Times in 148 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy4004 View Post
I believe only Blue Sky and Dreamworks use NURBS, but you can bet their NURBS are integrated differently than the standard tools in Maya. Stitching as it is in Maya is just is far to great of an issue to be used productively in a pipeline. I'm guessing they use something more in line with T-splines.

But even then I have a hunch that Dreamworks switched to polygons after integrated Mudbox in their pipeline, that is unless they have some crazy conversion method to bring everything from the models to the textures/maps back to NURBS.

I would just stick to polygons because your better off doing something exceptional with polys than something sub-par with NURBS.
Thanks for your reply I really appreciated that you took the time to write it but still I couldn't find any tutorials about nurbs character modeling...
__________________
my facebookpage
eydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
RHedendahl
Registered User
 
RHedendahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 999
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Think this amazingly awesome 3d artist did a some nurbs modeling over at cgsociety in this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=43&t=307349. The images are gone though, too bad.
__________________
Portfolio
Sketchbook
RHedendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #15
newhere
Work, art and videogames
 
newhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusettes
Posts: 1,258
Thanks: 11
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via AIM to newhere
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: or participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band'' 
Total Awards: 7
Here is a character i made using NURBS for animation:


The trick to modeling a character with nurbs for animation is to make sure that all of the specific "joint" areas you are going to use to animate with are modeled correctly.
__________________
"Life is like a video game that you have to play seriously. You can't just push the start button if you fail and come back in with everything you know or everything you have gained over a period of time."
~Newhere~

Angel Mars (Nudity)
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75414
Queen's Blade Vol. 12 ~ Cattleya
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=62172
Dominance War V - God Of Enlightenment:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82875
newhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
all images displayed on this site are copyright the original artists and may not be reproduced, copied or published elsewhere without their express permission