>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Animation
bottom-table-gradient

Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis

LATEST UPDATE:

The finished animation has been released
on the 27th of October 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAJSswZPvI&hd=1

Enjoy!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone!

I'm making a follow-up cinematic to last year's StarCraft First Contact cinematic ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s06Ua_EIQyo )

This is all fan-made, for the awesomeness that the StarCraft universe is, and for doing what I love most: SCI-FI! The cinematic is also for www.sclegacy.com - without whom I would not have the great exposure that I receive with these cinematics.

The cinematic will end up having around four minutes, and I'm expecting it to be done at the end of July. ( NEED TO RELEASE THIS BEFORE STARCRAFT II!!! )

Our very own forum staff member Avatar-3DT has done the pin-up art on the Marine shoulders, also forum member and my disciple and girlfriend Medusa was responsible with modeling the Wraith and Dropship models. ScLegacy staff member ZealotPowerade ( artquest ) will also be supplying a really cool model for one of the scenes in the cinematic.

The music will be taken care of by Piotr Musial ( www.piotrmusial.com ) and I've got some sweet voice actors for the voices ( Phillip Sacramento - www.aspects-of-voice.net and a surprise actress that I can't reveal yet, but you can hear her in the teaser ).

Here's a very short ( I was aiming at 15 seconds ) teaser, that I'm sad to say doesn't really contain my favorite scenes since I've rendered them after the teaser was done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO7He-3cd_s

On to the WIPness!

Here's a warp-in clip where a fleet of Confederate Battlecruisers ( that need to be added to the shot ) arrive at Korhal, nine years before StarCraft's campaign story begins. Korhal looks pretty in this scene, but it's a desert wasteland in StarCraft's story. I wonder what happens here.

And here's an image of what I'm working on right now: ( skypass isn't rendered yet, sorry for the blackness )
Attached Images

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 04-11-2011 at 02:01 AM..
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Sweet!
Looking good Freespace. How did the pinup turn out?
Voice actress sounds good, hard to get those female voice actors, I know from my mod work.
Look forward to the whole thing. I'd really love to do this kind of thing for WH40K.
mel_danes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Thanks Mel_danes! I like WH40K too, but StarCraft is much closer to me.

Here are two pin-ups Avatar did for the project, and a render of how they look like on the marine armor.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Very cool.
Backgrounds are always my downfall. Terrain and background elements just bore me to death. I know I need to get over it and just man up and do it.

This project is very inspiring, so thank you for that sir. You have my sincerest best wishes on finishing and getting that Blizzard interview. Your fan works are nearing their professional appeal. Keep at it man.
mel_danes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
What the heck is heading up that guy's nose??? Hydralisk attack or someone snorting heavily...??

Let's see what happens .

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
mel_danes: I also find backgrounds extremely "fun" to do, but without them the scene is just bland. I should pay more attention to backgrounds, and I recommend this to anyone else too. Subtle details make all the difference. And thank you very much for your kind wishes, I hope they come true.

hulahuga: It's the new stim-pack. Gives your marines +50 damage, but kills them instantly. You really need to micro in order to use it properly.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Send a message via MSN to SgtHK Send a message via Yahoo to SgtHK
Awards Showcase
Truly breathtaking! That hydralisk spike wins in my book I would love to know how you create a rocky ground like that. I've seen many tutorials on making terrain in 3ds Max, (including yours). But they didn't involve making the ground viable for close-up shots like this.
SgtHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
sweet work, as i've said before. i'm guessing the first shot is a test render. the dof makes it look like a miniature. the last render is freakin sweet. it just scream blizzard

the lighting reminds of the last cinematic from War3. the one where malfurion kills the big dude with blue balls....
Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
hulahuga: It's the new stim-pack. Gives your marines +50 damage, but kills them instantly. You really need to micro in order to use it properly.
Got to press the hotkey right between the shots right Or well as he shoots :P

WIP
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
SgtHK: Thank you very much, man! That rocky ground is a mix of sculpted details and lots of actual pebbles done with the Scatter compound object in 3dsmax. I definitely recommend you check it out.

Tank: I'm afraid I've gone a bit overboard with DoF, but I love it so much. I love the skies in the Warcraft 3 cinematics, so I tried to do something similar, but more appropriate to what Char ( a planet in StarCraft's universe ) would have. And I think you're talking about Archimonde's death cinematic.

hulahuga: I have no idea, it always fails for me, lol. That's why he's dieing in that screenshot.

Here's a render of the Mutalisk from the cinematic. You might have seen dozens of them in the teaser.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Have you done all the models for the cinematic??? I know you did the zerglings and showed us on the HUB but the other ones look way cool as well in the set scale.

WIP
Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
I've currently got almost two minutes done of the cinematic. I'd say most models are complete, but I've still got a few left to do.

Funny you should mention that Zergling, hulahuga. I'm currently sculpting a new one for the cinematic. The one you saw is very old and I really hate it now.

Here's a wip of the new one:
Attached Images

Old 13-05-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
An update on the zergling:
Attached Images

Old 13-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Cool. Is that the elder zergling??

Details look good, I like the stretched skin . Might want to think though of how tightly wrapped it is around the two frontal spikes...

And yeah ,the last one actually didn't really fit in style and quality wise with the rest of the models .

WIP
Old 14-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #15
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
hulahuga: Heheh, he's Toothless the Harmless Zergling! I'll update on him in the coming days. Thanks for the tip.

Here's something freshly rendered ( currently rendering the rest of the sequence ). It's an Apocalypse class missile, meant to exterminate all life on a planet.
Attached Images