>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 26-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Week #3 - The Tomb - Low Poly

Hi everyone, this week we are sticking with the churchyard theme, and we have a very old tomb to model including vegetation!

The limits for this week are 1,500 tris and 1024 texture sheet - any textures are cool, normals, specs etc to make it look as near to the photo as possible! As this is how they will be judged

Here is the photo set

Please post your wire, clay, texture sheets and final render in this thread, wip and on topic chat is also fine here too, these challenges are supposed to be fun and we are not too strict on the rules. The only prizes are a gold, silver and bronze award handed out to both high and low poly versions each week.

Deadlines will be as always Midday GMT next wednesday

Also please note that one of the reasons for these challenges is to help grow our free resource libraries, so the model donations at some point in the future when our system is ready would make us very happy and give a new dimension to the free image library we are building up every week.
Attached Images

Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
KevRyan

Oooh, this could be a bit tricky. I was half thinking of attempting the high poly this week but that vegetation has discouraged me. Unless I do something whitin Pflow...
I was gonna ask why didn't you stand on it to get a top down view before I realised "oh yeah...disrespect, DURRRR."

Team Nevermind My team for Dare 2010!
-------------------------------------------------------
http://guerillacg.com/<<Freakin' incredible!
KevRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
I thought I did get a top view to be honest (just by leaning over) but a gremlin must have ate the file. I have already photographed more objects for future weeks and I am getting better at capturing every detail now, this one really should have more and some close-ups. Sorry about that, looking forward to seeing what you can do.
Old 27-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
ganymedegraphic

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 1
ooh this one looks like fun
ganymedegraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
VersionThirst
Falling with Style

Send a message via AIM to VersionThirst
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: First place in the thai monastery photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Bench' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Won 2nd in the 'Tomb' Low Poly weekly photo modeling challenge. Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''goofy gun'' Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Won third place for the low-poly undead rockstar comp 
Total Awards: 8
Currently at 1409 tris. I think I'll have to cut down the tris on the details on the ends, or get rid of them altogether if I plan on getting foliage in there.
Attached Images

VersionThirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
You know what I noticed.... When you click on one of the refs and then on "go back" you go back all the way to the root of the library, not to the section you were in... Might be worth checking out...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
KevRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersionThirst View Post
Currently at 1409 tris. I think I'll have to cut down the tris on the details on the ends, or get rid of them altogether if I plan on getting foliage in there.
Yeah I had kept them as flat pieces of geometry that I was going to texture and normal map and even with that my tri count went up like crazy. I'm at something like 700 now and havn't done any of the top bits yet :S

Team Nevermind My team for Dare 2010!
-------------------------------------------------------
http://guerillacg.com/<<Freakin' incredible!
KevRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
exigaen

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Oooh, now this is an interesting challenge. I think me I may participate.
Old 28-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
ganymedegraphic

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge 
Here's the model coming along! I'm at 580 tris with just diffuse for now. Will be adding the mesh and textures for the leaves soon.

Old 28-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
good work so far guys on a tough subject!
Old 28-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
ganymedegraphic

Awards Showcase
i've never done much low poly stuff so this mini comp stuff is great drive to learn... i can't imagine myself trying to design a low poly tomb on my own accord very good challenge
Old 28-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Take care with the stretched grass on the texture...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
ganymedegraphic

Awards Showcase
hm yeah i need to find a better source for the texture around the base...
Old 31-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Doyora
(✿﹏`)ノシ

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: first place in the #5 weekly photomodelling competition - british telephone box Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 2
Hi I'm new
I registered to enter this competition! It was fun and I hope I can do it again

here is my entry:

Programs used: 3Dsmax 2010, Photoshop CS4
Geometry: 1196 tris
Textures: 1024x1024 diffuse/specular/normal

looking forward to seeing the other entries
Doyora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
Welcome Doyora and what a great first post!