>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 18-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #46
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Send a message via MSN to SgtHK Send a message via Yahoo to SgtHK
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
That's awesome. For the SSS I've had some past experience. It's pretty straightforward; just apply an SSS shader into the head, add good lighting, and render. It does, however, need A LOT of tweaking to get the skin realistic, mainly through the use of several maps.

You'll need to have separate maps for the upper skin layer, the mid, and the bottom layers. You'll also need maps for glossiness #1 and #2 as well as adjust the amount of sub-surface scattering in various areas.

For example, the skin in the cheekbones and forehead don't have alot of sub-surface scatter because the skin is on top of bone. But for the skin in boneless areas like noses and ears need alot of sub-surface scatter. Just a few pointers to give you an idea
SgtHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #47
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHK View Post
That's awesome. For the SSS I've had some past experience. It's pretty straightforward; just apply an SSS shader into the head, add good lighting, and render. It does, however, need A LOT of tweaking to get the skin realistic, mainly through the use of several maps.

You'll need to have separate maps for the upper skin layer, the mid, and the bottom layers. You'll also need maps for glossiness #1 and #2 as well as adjust the amount of sub-surface scattering in various areas.

For example, the skin in the cheekbones and forehead don't have alot of sub-surface scatter because the skin is on top of bone. But for the skin in boneless areas like noses and ears need alot of sub-surface scatter. Just a few pointers to give you an idea

Thanks man!

Okay so as not to do as some others here... I finished the basic scene setup in Maya and Mental Ray, generated my displacement and normal (which both came out good ) and made a "basic" skin setup.

Now for the more advanced bit (and those frigging maps...).

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #48
meowmeow
kittens go mew mew mew

really nice surface your fine detail of skin is really good. i found a free sss shader for mental ray. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...78#post5062378 its some where in this thread i think.
meowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatmeowmeow! Thank you:
hulahuga (20-02-2011)
Old 20-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #49
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
meowmeow - I'm using the mental ray sss though right now and I have the basic setup up and running so I probably won't use it now. But thanks anyway . Glad you like it!

My ZBrush killed my computer yesterday resulting in my HDD getting some sort of severe memory failure. Thus all my morning this day has been spent reinstalling windows (though I had a backup image of sorts for windows and the basic drivers), specific drivers, utility programs and now slowly my 3d apps as well...

Luckily I have taken custom to put all my CG stuff in a separate hard drive and thus they all remain .

So here is a sculpt that probably shows off my reaction when I got the error message of the HDD...

WIP

Last edited by hulahuga; 20-02-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Old 20-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #50
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
Saw those on FB, they look crazy enough for me

Sweet work , you are definietly getting better and better on the sculpting.
MStandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #51
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Send a message via Skype™ to RogerP
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
not bad, definitely getting better....couple of questions are you using the default bust mesh on Zbrush to create these? if so I would suggest you start from a mesh that is not as defined as those so you can really grasp how to make all the shapes by yourself.

and second...

why are you models so wrinkly?

keep it up

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #52
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Yeah, hula. Once you get done with this you should make something with smooth skin for once
Old 20-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #53
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Since we are on the topic of skin here I suppose I'll give my 2 cents. There is a tendency in a lot of tutorials to use separate texture maps for each different channel of the SSS shader. I think in most cases people over do it and are just wasting texture RAM slowing down their renders.

If all you are doing is color correcting a color texture for a subsurface layer, do it inside your 3D application. If all you need is a little noise in your reflection, why not use a lower res map and mix it with a higher res noise procedural texture in Maya. Need a pass to control the effect of the backscattering? Well, why not just paint those areas a little more Red in your color map and isolate the Red channel in Maya, and tweak it for scattering control.

There are plenty of little tricks you can use to save yourself from needing all those extra maps considering Maya gives you the majority of the tools you use in Photoshop. These days all I need is a single color and lower res reflection map so long as they are painted with all this in mind. There are situations where more maps are necessarily but be smart about it.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 20-02-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatCrispy4004! Thank you:
hulahuga (21-02-2011)
Old 20-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #54
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it

Quote:
are you using the default bust mesh on Zbrush to create these? if so I would suggest you start from a mesh that is not as defined as those so you can really grasp how to make all the shapes by yourself.
Well for my zbrush sculpts I usually use the default head but I sometimes do some base meshes of my own zspheres and zsketch. In mudbox I always use the base head/body which are both very undefined (basically extremities and some basic edge loops) which practices that a lot more .

Quote:
why are you models so wrinkly?
Quote:
Once you get done with this you should make something with smooth skin for once
Aaargh ye smooth skin basterds! (with a thick irish accent)

crispy - Planning on making it a bit of a mixture. High res maps combined with some low res for the one with need for less detail. As the tut I'm following (for the render setup) explains it this apparently gives you a lot of control through the texture maps after the basic scene setup is all done. Hopefully I will be able to save this setup and thus use it again in the future with only some tweaking involved

WIP
Old 20-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #55
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
hi. nice progress man. your sculpts gets better and better. as cuban mentioned - too much wrincles. dont play too much with damnstandard or other refining brushes - you'll get blind .
i have a few tips for you if you wouldnt mind .
try to not use any premade base meshes that are not built by you. using these base meshes takes away a lot of anatomy study from you. try to start from something simple - sphere, cube, plane, zsphere... . try to be envolved in your sculpt as much as you can. than try to do more anatomy study. i see some anatomy issues in your sculpts that arent good. try to make your self feel the model as you sculpt. than dont manualy culpt all the fine details. some details are better to sculpt with a help of alphas and then refining these details where needed. wery big mistake people do when using alphas - they play with them too much and forget to refine some areas to push alphas to next level. than dont forget to smooth A LOT . it preserves your meshes topology and lets you preserve precious polygons in places that you need most. than dont abandone tradiotional medium such as paper and pencil . draw anatomy on paper and train your hand to have stronger and stedyer strokes. hmmm dont know how its caled in english or other language but there is a item/toy/educational thingy we call "plastelin". its a plastide forme blub that behaves like clay only it does not turn to hard form and its melting in higher temperatures. i suggest you to use it as a tool to study clasical sculpting . well i do it my self. i have about a 1kg of it and when i want to sculpt i just take it and do my sculpting . and when i'm finished i just put it bac to box and in to its place. its cheap and surves its educational pourpoces good and saves a lot of time and does not require more space than a bottle of beer . i think its enough for now .
hope it helps and good luck on further sculpts. looking forward for more progress
P.S. sory for gramar
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatpaulius-st! Thank you:
hulahuga (21-02-2011)
Old 20-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #56
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
draw anatomy on paper and train your hand to have stronger and stedyer strokes
...or just use LazyMouse?
Old 20-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #57
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHK View Post
...or just use LazyMouse?
i agrea but in organic sculpting lazymouse doesnt help uot much. in my case if i would use lazymouse in sculpting face or body i would get wery wery angry and smash my tablet in to a wall .
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #58
Silok
Silok

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulius-st View Post
i agrea but in organic sculpting lazymouse doesnt help uot much. in my case if i would use lazymouse in sculpting face or body i would get wery wery angry and smash my tablet in to a wall .
Well cant agree there.. i use a lot lazy mouse for organic sculpting. Lazy mouse is perfect for smooth stroke instead of these bumpy and ruff stroke i often see in a lot of sculpting.

hulahuga i see that you improve keep working.
Silok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #59
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
paulis-st - Very true about smoothing and stuff in zbrush, the mesh can really turn crazy at times... Thing is a lot of the wrinkles on the screaming dude came from the rake which I used heavily. Then I kind of decided just to keep some of it . Played some with the slash/knife afterwards to make some things pop and make it a bit more interesting... This way I neither did all of the details by hand and neither with alphas

You mentioned anatomy issues, could you point them out so I don't do it again??

silok - Thanks man!

WIP
Old 21-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #60
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Rendertime!

(no textures applied yet, only the basic scene setup so far)
Attached Images

WIP