>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 18-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
argh! I just spent like 20-30 min on the pivot thing haha.. thanks Does it not matter if everything's not a quad, or would that only be useful if you were to apply smoothing?

Say you were to rig it later, would it be okay that it's made up of several objects?

Will you post your texture sheet later? It's well cool how you can make something that looks more detailed than it really is, I <3 modelling
Old 18-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Ojah
Freelance Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I've won a speed modelling challenge (#08 Street Fighter). Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Only quads is not really a rule, its more of a guideline for objects that are smoothed or animated. Just remember; If it looks good, it is good.
Apart from that, having tri's in there can screw your smooth groups, but at this low poly its probably better to optimize as much as you can.

For your rigging question, in this case i would most certainly use several objects, just as few as possible (1 for the frame, 2 for the wheels + back cog, 3 for the pedals + front cog and 1 for the fork). I would animate the chain with its texture.
Link the back wheel to the frame, the front wheel to the fork and the fork to the frame etc.
Using bones for this would be overkill.

Ill post the textures when im done, which should be in a few hours and since Tom talked about model donations in the first post, i wouldnt mind posting the model too.
Ojah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Nice one, man, I think I'll download it when you've posted and have a closer gander
Old 19-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
I twisted the bars 45degrees, and I'm using more intersecting geometry; it's cut down on the polys loads thanks Ojah
Attached Images

Old 20-07-2010, 02:16 AM   #20
Ojah
Freelance Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I've won a speed modelling challenge (#08 Street Fighter). Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Nice! Good to see you're improving , makes me all warm and fuzzy .

And also from me another update, had some problems that made me have to unwrap again and that screwed up my normal map, so its taking a bit longer then expected. Still need to create the spec map, paint some diffuse stuff and remove some tiny errors but im almost done . Exactly 1000 tris btw
Attached Images

Last edited by Ojah; 20-07-2010 at 02:27 AM..
Old 20-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
Ojah
Freelance Artist

Awards Showcase
Done
Attached Images

Last edited by Ojah; 20-07-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Old 20-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
haha 1k on the dot, very efficient good job dude, looks well cool
Attached Images

Old 20-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #23
Ojah
Freelance Artist

Awards Showcase
Thanks!
Nice start, looks a lot better now, some of the bars seem a bit too thin, might want to use the push modifier on those.

Edited my previous post with a picture that uses the spec map instead of having it turned off and here are some closeups. Now im really done
Attached Images

Last edited by Ojah; 20-07-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Old 21-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
That is cool!!
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
freakin' awesome dude! hopefully after a few more months practice, I'll be able to work as quickly and intuitively as you

this is as much as I'll be able to do by the deadline lol, I'll probably work on it after it too though thanks for the tips and help, I'll try the push modifier on the thinner bars :]
Attached Images

Old 22-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
jakeydoo

Here my submission

I thought this was very challenging, but i think time got the better of me on this one,

"Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."
jakeydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
Ojah
Freelance Artist

Awards Showcase
Cool, nice to see im not the only one finishing . Model looks nice, i see a lot of details i had to skip on because of the poly limit (dice on the wheels, kickstand) but the renders are a bit dark.
Old 22-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #28
jakeydoo

Yeah the renders were abit dark as didnt put any lights in and I didnt colour correct the textures. I really like your one as you seem to have got things spot on

"Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."
jakeydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #29
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Everyone did really well here considering what a tough subject it was and tight limits but in a way I think it added to the challenge.

Especially well done to the 2 finishers who we will award

1st Place - Ojah
2nd Place - jakeydoo

Please request you award icons - very deserved indeed.

Going to have a short break, Siggraph next week and I'm a bit frantic getting stuff ready for our trip out there and running the 3DTotal stand.

When Im back we will pick things up again

Well done again, and thanks for joining in

Tom
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #30
Ojah
Freelance Artist

Awards Showcase
Thanks Tom!

It was a fun ride

Ill post the model in the "obj store" thread in the game art section of the forum
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=74088 so if anyone wants to play with it, be my guest.