>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives
bottom-table-gradient

Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #166
Imajus
3d Artist / Teacher

Send a message via AIM to Imajus Send a message via Skype™ to Imajus
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Here's an example of something you can do with UDK's material system. Also not arguing for UDK over Marmoset, if I still had Maromset I'd probably use it, but it's just another option.

The first head is just a standard diffuse, spec, normal shader. The second is one I made by studying a SSS shader someone already made and piecing together my own using all the same texture maps. Also I did not model or texture the head it came with the shader I studied.
Attached Images

Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #167
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Tell us more about the UDK Imajus? This looks pretty awesome and might be worth jumping into and doing a How-To video for 3DT troops.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #168
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
UDK is 100% free for non-commercial purposes and can be downloaded at udk.com

It is not quite just a simple viewer like Marmoset, but it can be used as such. There is a learning curve.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #169
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Right on. What're the benefits of using Marm or UDK over just rendering in your modeling package?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #170
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
well, if you suck at lighting, then there is a real good chance your renders will suck too. With these fancy render engine thingys, they kinda do all the hard work for you.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #171
Imajus
3d Artist / Teacher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Yeah for UDK you'd have to setup a rendering environment, import your character and texturs, drop in some lights and build a shader. For me I worked in the game industry as a modeler and level designer, I don't know jack **** about vray or mental ray or anything like that. So it's easier for me to use a real time engine to show my work. Also what bigtoe said you basically throw some lights in and it already looks great. And since it's realtime you can save out your screenshots right away. You don't have to tweak, wait for render, tweak, wait for render. Don't know about you guys, but it feels more pure to me to have a game competition character rendered real time.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #172
leo_pecina
Aspiring Artist

Send a message via AIM to leo_pecina Send a message via Yahoo to leo_pecina Send a message via Skype™ to leo_pecina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imajus View Post
One thing to note about marmoset is it's not free anymore. You can DL the trial for 20 or 30 days, forget which it is, but after that you have to pay. So if you're a cheap ******* like me plan out when to DL the trial. I already used my trial and planned on using it for comicon, but they extended and my trial ran out.
One thing I had in mind is using UDK to display my work. UDK has gorgeous real time lighting, a powerful material system, and free. It takes a bit more setup than marmoset however. If anyone is interested I can post some UDK info.
The Older free version is available to download at the Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD over at Polycount via either one of the mirror links they have.

Which would be
Mirror1: http://www.johnyontehspot.com/toolba...ag_install.exe
Mirror2: http://www.thanez.net/toolbag_install.exe

they got more info about it on their thread.
leo_pecina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #173
Imajus
3d Artist / Teacher

Awards Showcase
I actually tried this and when I try to install it corrupts, tried DLing and reinstalling again and figured it was probably just because it's the old version.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #174
leo_pecina
Aspiring Artist

Send a message via AIM to leo_pecina Send a message via Yahoo to leo_pecina Send a message via Skype™ to leo_pecina
yeah definitely has bug, since this is the older one. the good thing is it's quick and you can use it to preview as you are working, and not need to use up the trial time of the newer version (given when it work)
leo_pecina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #175
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesummers-3DT View Post
Right on. What're the benefits of using Marm or UDK over just rendering in your modeling package?
I can't speak for every package but in Maya land our viewport is poop; no matter how hard you try you can't polish a turd. From the looks of it UDK and Marmoset actually handle color space correctly (which is huge) and make use of techniques that mimic indirect lighting, subsurface scattering, tone mapping, etc.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #176
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesummers-3DT View Post
This looks pretty awesome and might be worth jumping into and doing a How-To video for 3DT troops.
I'd love to learn more the set-up in UDK, Marmoset looks fairly straightforward, but I'm sure there are advantages to UDK. Who knows, I might be able to bring something to the table from my time working with MR and passes. Like say what shaders, math, and/or combinations can lead to somewhat similar results.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #177
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
marmoset is very easy to use indeed

I got it last nght and had a model up and shaded in a matter of about 15 minutes (including establishing you can only have one shader per object)
It does seem a bit weak with regard to skin and other soft surfaces though so may not be the best choice if you're planning on a barbarian chick with leather undercrackers on.

UDK looks brilliant due to the level of customisation you've got, I dont think you'll be disappointed in the shader capabilities Crispy4004.
Unfortunately it also looks like it'll be a bit of a pain in the bum unless there's a model viewer out there already. There'll be extra setup time, reloading when you make shader changes etc. (guesswork based on other full game engines)
This is all ok if you've got time and patience but in my case I'm going to have a couple of hours a night tops to work on my entry (not to mention a heavily pregnant greek woman and a 4 year old demanding strange things like love, attention and housework) .
I'll give it a try in the meantime to see what I can get out of it but I suspect it might fall into the "too much hassle" category.
Also it's been a bit tricky finding a tut on full custom character export - i really don't want to produce a static mesh for a game art comp.

I found a max viewport shader by 3point studios last night that looks like it might be the answer to my prayers. I've not tried it yet but it claims to be able to do a lot more than you can with your average DX viewport shader and the feature list looks very promising.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #178
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe Send a message via Skype™ to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
I also demand these things of you poopipe, don't forget that.

I will be using vray for my entry, been doing some tests creating some shaders that work with normal maps. Not a huge amount of luck yet, but it will get there and I will share when I do.

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #179
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
I would say if you are serious about getting into games, then the Marmoset tool is a no-brainer for $50. I had no problems at all setting up a scene. It is, apparently, idiot-proof, and I should know -- Poopipe is definitely an idiot.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #180
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
you're asking for a burrito somewhere uncomfortable you are

sathe - you know you come first

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote