>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art
bottom-table-gradient

Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #76
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy Send a message via Skype™ to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidDomo View Post
I love how you made that tube with so much detail, could you show a simple "making-off" or something? That'd be cool!
of course i can, mate
but don't think something big... it's as simple as a "Path Deform" modifier
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #77
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
making of complex tubes in 3ds max

"making of complex tubes in 3ds max with Path Deform modifier"

1. first step is to create a line with the thickness of the desired tube and arange it in place. enabling 'render in viewport' gives you the ability to set up it's thickness real time (later using see through object property can be useful but not too important)
note: don't convert your path to polygons coz Path Deform modifier as it's name says only accepts Lines and Splines (paths)

2. step two is creating a cylinder which will become one slice of the tube that is gonna repeat along our existing path. it's not necessary to create all the details for your tube now only some repeating pieces to check out how they look together..
note: one repeating part can be consisted of more slices but it's more easy to keep it as one model.. the only importance here is that if you put the slices together they'll make a continous tube
and it's best to put the pivot to the start of the tube (later explained)

3. use 'PathDeform (WSM)' modifier on your created model (the slices of the tube as one model) and show it which path to use with the 'Pick Path' button
note: there's another modifier that is just the same called 'PathDeform' but that one has no 'Move to Path' option (*stupid?) so i prefer 'PathDeform (WSM)'

4. 'Move to Path' button will stick your model to the start point of your path. if you are lucky it will look the direction you wanted but if it doesn't then just arrange your model with the 'Path Deform Axis' option at the buttom of the modifier (no need to think how it works just pick the axis that makes your model to follow the path, that's all:P)
note: 'Move to Path' means that it moves the Pivot of your model to the path so make sure the pivot is at the start of your tube model

5. if the right axis is set you can check out the options the modifier has:
Percent: moves your model along the path
Stretch: stretches your model along the path
Rotation: rotates your mo.. blah blah
Twist: blah blah..

6. you can finish the details of your complex tube and i can finally go to bed
Attached Images

Last edited by tsabszy; 01-02-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Great tsabszy! For Thanks for3:
himadri_sm (07-02-2011), hulahuga (02-02-2011), ParanoidDomo (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #78
ParanoidDomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsabszy View Post
"making of complex tubes in 3ds max with Path Deform modifier"

1. first step is to create a line with the thickness of the desired tube and arange it in place. enabling 'render in viewport' gives you the ability to set up it's thickness real time (later using see through object property can be useful but not too important)
note: don't convert your path to polygons coz Path Deform modifier as it's name says only accepts Lines and Splines (paths)

2. step two is creating a cylinder which will become one slice of the tube that is gonna repeat along our existing path. it's not necessary to create all the details for your tube now only some repeating pieces to check out how they look together..
note: one repeating part can be consisted of more slices but it's more easy to keep it as one model.. the only importance here is that if you put the slices together they'll make a continous tube
and it's best to put the pivot to the start of the tube (later explained)

3. use 'PathDeform (WSM)' modifier on your created model (the slices of the tube as one model) and show it which path to use with the 'Pick Path' button
note: there's another modifier that is just the same called 'PathDeform' but that one has no 'Move to Path' option (*stupid?) so i prefer 'PathDeform (WSM)'

4. 'Move to Path' button will stick your model to the start point of your path. if you are lucky it will look the direction you wanted but if it doesn't then just arrange your model with the 'Path Deform Axis' option at the buttom of the modifier (no need to think how it works just pick the axis that makes your model to follow the path, that's all:P)
note: 'Move to Path' means that it moves the Pivot of your model to the path so make sure the pivot is at the start of your tube model

5. if the right axes is set you can check out the options the modifier has:
Percent: moves your model along the path
Stretch: stretches your model along the path
Rotation: rotates your mo.. blah blah
Twist: blah blah..

6. you can finish the details of your complex tube and i can finally go to bed
Awesome dude, very well/detailed explained, thanks alot!!
ParanoidDomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #79
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
you're welcome dude
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #80
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
well, another tiny update..
i applied the proper colors for different materials which i'm gonna need when baking textures, but i rolled this task infront of me on and on while working on the modeling.. conclusion: never do it like that again! in my next projects i'm gonna do it while modeling coz as i was affraid so: some parts and forms are not as clean as i thought they would. i haven't made such comlex stuff befor so it's a good lesson.
anyway it chew up lots and lots of time coz there are many instances and i have only 2gigs of ram now, so many times i just waited like 5 minutes for my computer to respond.. when i work on a specific part i always save those parts into another max file to get more speed but for this task i needed the whole model in place at the end..
still lots of work to do..
tasks left for me are the following:
high poly:
- arms modeling
- wires and tubes (organizing and detailing) at her knees
- detailing and applying the different colors for her rifle
- a knife
- and a suit on her body
and then continue with the low poly..
i'm affraid i wont be able to finish before dw coz i have only 2 weekends left before it starts. coz last weekend i'm planning to travel to my parents to get some rest..
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #81
himadri_sm

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
thanx a lot for the tut...your model is coming along very well..

On Linkedin

Demoreel on Youtube

Vimeo

Available for freelance. PM me for details.
himadri_sm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #82
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
no problem! i'm happy if you can apply it
Old 18-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #83
nooby

good progress bro !
keep on !
nooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #84
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
thanks nooby, i'm travelling home this weekend so maybe a little update is coming on sonday but i'm not sure.. still too much to do :S
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #85
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
well i abandoned my thread for a little too long :P
due to my job and other stuff i haven't worked too much for practice during this year, so i decided to draw sometimes if i have time..
here's my 1s try, i really hope the next one or the 10th next one will be better. and i hope my imagination will improve a lot and some drawing style will develop later, after more tries

any critics are welcome!!

(i don't have pland creating it in 3d, since it's only a cliche and really just for starting to bother with drawing)

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #86
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
working on projection texturing.. i'd love to participate on the fan art challange but so much stuff is going on right now and i wont even be around next week..
anyway, some wip for now
Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #87
Krallis
D3

Send a message via Skype™ to Krallis
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
This is gonna be incredible when its done.
It look fantastic, I love the handpainted texture look youve got going on.

Softimage User.

------------------------------------------------
Nadir-- FINISHED
[center]
Krallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #88
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
thanks Krallis!
it's not what i wanted, but maybe after some more practicing. at least there's always hope

Old 18-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #89
Fynn

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mount Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
wow i love these textures
did you rig her?
Fynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #90
rocneasta
in search of excellence

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta Send a message via MSN to rocneasta Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta Send a message via Skype™ to rocneasta
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
wow i love these textures
did you rig her?
that's not appropriate question, she is a lady after all and what tsabszy did to her last night or the night before is entirely between them

rocneasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, cyborg, female