>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Weekly Photo Modelling challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #31
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
Thanks slayer , i tought it was 3000 tris not 3000 polys .
MStandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #32
Slayer89

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Awarded 2nd place in the photo-real challenge of the red phone box Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd place in Thai-Monastery Photo Challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
np.
Slayer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #33
QUAN

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge 
Total Awards: 1
Here are some update pics.
Name:  Update1.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  184.6 KB
Name:  Update3.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  61.2 KB
Name:  Update4.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  43.4 KB
QUAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #34
Fredddy

Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out!  	31-01-2009 02:23 PM  	 Edit  Remove   	 Sathe 	For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 2
Some great entries already.
May be a bit late in the day to start this but here goes.
I probably won't get it finished as my texturing really sucks.
Started yesterday and decided to model the fence railings so poly count is about 2000.
Attached Images

Fredddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #35
Aemeath
Cute in a fetishy way.

Send a message via MSN to Aemeath
I'm in as well. I've been browsing threedy for quite some time and thought why not give it a go. Just started modeling yesterday. Some really nice entries so far. As I have not much time left I'm not sure if I can finish it, but hopefully a lot of you guys will!

Anyway, this is what I have so far.
Attached Images

Aemeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #36
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer89 View Post
so long as your polys are quads then yes. 3000 poly x 2 tri's = 6000 tri's
Er, I thought the brief would be 3000 tris, otherwise you could do all sorts of evil things with x-sided polys. You could do the whole front face of the bridge as a single poly for example but it would obviously have a lot more triangles than that

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #37
Slayer89

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Awarded 2nd place in the photo-real challenge of the red phone box Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd place in Thai-Monastery Photo Challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
These challenges usually are tri's, but it states 3k poly limit this time
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #38
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perversonality View Post
Er, I thought the brief would be 3000 tris, otherwise you could do all sorts of evil things with x-sided polys. You could do the whole front face of the bridge as a single poly for example but it would obviously have a lot more triangles than that
Yep i had actually managed to make some 5 and 6 sided, when i did the stones/rocks. but they are all fixed know. so i belive it's important that people post wires, so we can see whats its actually made of
Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #39
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Just post the triangle count as well as the poly count. I'd definitely consider it a triangle limit though as that would be the only way to make sure all the entries are consistent and on a level playing field

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #40
QUAN

Awards Showcase
Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge 
This is my final model. There are 1,164 polygons.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #41
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perversonality View Post
Just post the triangle count as well as the poly count. I'd definitely consider it a triangle limit though as that would be the only way to make sure all the entries are consistent and on a level playing field
Yep will do that, but so far i dont have a problem, with the limit, im at 1126 polygons/2080 triangles, and i thinking i am near the finish line, have som more fooliage to do, and some detailing. but the base is there.

Looking nice Quan

But as far as i have understand it, we are only allowed to use one 1024*1024 texture sheet, and correct me if im wrong, but you are having two of them.

Maybe i am wrong.

Last edited by MStandar; 04-01-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #42
Slayer89

Awards Showcase
Your correct MStandar, its 1 1024x1024 texture sheet for the whole thing
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #43
QUAN

Awards Showcase
Really, I didn't know that. My bad. I think that this scene has many objects, and it won't look good if we put all of the textures in one sheet.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #44
Slayer89

Awards Showcase
Alot of low-poly stuff is usually restricted to 1 texture sheet
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #45
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Yep, and thats the whole purpose, of these challanges, to see how far you can push your limits, and create good looking models, with the lowest amount of polys/tris, and textures.