>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > CG News > Latest 3DTotal and other CG site's news
bottom-table-gradient

Old 18-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #76
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
That's pretty good Kirgan, definitely worth some thought.
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #77
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe Send a message via Skype™ to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Here's an idea. Charity

I've finally gotten off my arse last night and got back into the character tutorial I've been working on.
Just to see if this works I'm going to give 50% of the profits to 3dt and 50% to a charity of their choosing and see if the dvd sells more than usual or ends up on pirate sites.

Would be interesting to see if all people who pirate software have a conscience.
I can see people not caring about stealing from a company but what about disadvantaged children?

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #78
rocneasta

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta Send a message via MSN to rocneasta Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta Send a message via Skype™ to rocneasta
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  
Total Awards: 33
i think they lack a moral standpoint rather than actually caring about something.

however your gesture is noble!

rocneasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #79
Dreamexpress

I think the cg.tutsplus method is pretty nice, where you pay a small monthly subscription fee for like 9$ i mean that is like nothing.

Lets face it 3d artists want to get through alot of information quickly, we dont care about having an old outdated dvd on the shelf it has no value so whats the point.

With that 9$ i can scan through the tutorials they have and see if its anything for me
and if it is continue pay monthly fees and if not then continue search another place

I mean with pirates they dont even look trough 1% of most tutorials they DL
Because when you dont know anything how could you possible know that what you are buying does have any real value for yourself on your level of skill.

And putting people on the hall of shame, maybe you scare away alot of people from the forum. I dont think you want that either

And another good think can be to add a little star on the side of the nickname to subscribers
Dreamexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #80
keescopyright
Ba 3d Computer Animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathe
Here's an idea. Charity
(...)
I can see people not caring about stealing from a company but what about disadvantaged children?
I believ in a diffrent kind of charity, these charities you speak of are perhaps well intended but I would have to judge for myself with each charity every time and still they ARE companies. None the less; go for it.

How about just putting the donate button somewhere. You dont even have to ask for anything, just make it possible and easy.

I'm sorry for ranting i just feel very strongly on the matter.

Also i wasnt saying cease and desist. continue as planned just make sure you look into the alternative which you already implied by mentioning you plan B.

People will pay for what they think is worth.
Old 19-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #81
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathe View Post
Here's an idea. Charity

I've finally gotten off my arse last night and got back into the character tutorial I've been working on.
Just to see if this works I'm going to give 50% of the profits to 3dt and 50% to a charity of their choosing and see if the dvd sells more than usual or ends up on pirate sites.

Would be interesting to see if all people who pirate software have a conscience.
Very good idea Grant, I would be very interested to see how this ones plays out, I have always had faith in appealing to people's moral side and like supporting charities too, so you may really be onto something here.
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #82
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Oh a bit of an extension to my previous idea....
You could have some more options for the bundles like "get started in modelling" or "up your sculpting skills"! A single tut usually never covers this enough...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #83
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocneasta View Post
i suck at fighting piracy

just remembered can rapidshare and the rest of such providers be persuaded to delete files uploaded that contain 3DT material? is it possible
As I mentioned earlier they will take stuff down, but don't expect them to give out any sort of punishment or hand out any information. At most the user may receive a slap on the wrist when it comes to the upload service, and by that time they've probably re-uploaded on another host.

The only way to beat upload services is to have other means of protecting the content. The question is how to do that in a way that does not come at a cost to the user or turns all this into a witch hunt.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 19-01-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #84
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
Yep as Crispy was saying, The will remove the stuff, but say forexample a member who have uploaded like 100+GB of files to rapidshare, of course they dont want to kick him out, because if he has a pretty big amount of hits on his files per day, they will earn alot of money.

Piracy give them money, The same goes for the Internet suppliers (Broadband) They earn money on people that have high speed internet. Like 24mbits or even 100mbits.
And we all know that you aint needing more then max 8mbits of internet to surf every website with good performance. Sure the high speed can be used for legal stuff too, but its more likely be used for piracy.
MStandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #85
chris_mobley
Banned.

lol this is the stupidest crap i have ever heard u guys claim to be artists. last time i checked true artist dont get paid until they die. artist are suppose to share and share alike not try and feed off each other. like that fen zhu dude who does the concept design, NOW HE IS A TRUE ARTIST. THIS GUY MADE A COUPLE OF PAY FOR VIDS THEN SAID F IT. HE IS YOUTUBING EVERYTHING FOR THE FREE NOW HE HAS OVER 150 FREE TRAINING VIDS FOR FREE THAT SLAMS ANYTHING U HAVE TO PAY FOR..
chris_mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #86
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Obviously you haven't checked the entire thread...

But that is a good initative no question.... I still think that one should create a spotify for tuts or something similar

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #87
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Idiot alert, idiot alert, idiot alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_mobley View Post
lol this is the stupidest crap i have ever heard u guys claim to be artists. last time i checked true artist dont get paid until they die. artist are suppose to share and share alike not try and feed off each other. like that fen zhu dude who does the concept design, NOW HE IS A TRUE ARTIST. THIS GUY MADE A COUPLE OF PAY FOR VIDS THEN SAID F IT. HE IS YOUTUBING EVERYTHING FOR THE FREE NOW HE HAS OVER 150 FREE TRAINING VIDS FOR FREE THAT SLAMS ANYTHING U HAVE TO PAY FOR..
This is the stupidest crap you have ever heard? Stupider than the KKK?

True artists can get paid after they die? Really? Like, corpses with money? I'm assuming you're implying that Salvador Dali worked on in movies and said, "don't worry about the pay guys, I'm a TRUE artist!"

Artists are supposed to share and share alike? Since when? Da Vinci used mirror writing to keep his ideas secret, and don't even get me started on Warhol!

Then you kiss someone ass, and start shouting, and we stop listening.

Frankly, you have no idea what you are talking about. And you are being simply offensive, and your inflammatory words should be ignored, but sometimes, flies like yourself need swatting, so as to stop your perverse opinions getting a hold on peoples thoughts.

Now I want you to go find a pine cone, and swallow it hole.
Old 29-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #88
chris_mobley
Banned.

so i see you referring to people from The Renaissance in others words the great theft of eastern arts and culture. good way to support ur statement. those guys were still finger painting until they stole the ma thematic language from the east.
chris_mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #89
rocneasta

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta Send a message via MSN to rocneasta Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta Send a message via Skype™ to rocneasta
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  
Total Awards: 33
if there were a million of copies of Mona Lisa it wouldn't be art. There's only one specific painting per artist. Most people never saw that art since it was either not visible to public or it was in a museum and people didn't enter or had the money to pay for entrance.

So i guess people pay to see art from ages before, and now people steal to see art. Digital form is only the medium of it. Stealing is stealing, effort placed into making it is destroyed, as the intention and all the though and other process that went into it.

Try doing something for a living and wake up one day to see someone stole you're idea, or is freely distributing your work. Then you might want to judge, although no one has the right to judge.

rocneasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #90
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_mobley View Post
so i see you referring to people from The Renaissance in others words the great theft of eastern arts and culture. good way to support ur statement. those guys were still finger painting until they stole the ma thematic language from the east.
My statement is that you're an idiot and you should be ignored, though I can't help it.

If you don't mind piracy, then go rip people off, I just don't see why you're abusing those who understand the modern age. You've made 12 posts in the best part of a year, and now you pipe up. It's just strange. I personally think you should be banned from the forum, you don't share the ethical views of the members here, therefore you shouldn't share the forum with us.