>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'
bottom-table-gradient

Old 07-07-2003, 04:39 AM   #1
Vertigo

Send a message via AIM to Vertigo
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Well, there really isn't much to show at this point. I'm just blocking things out. But I always like to see peoples progression on a model so I figured I'd start posting this stuff early so you can see its progression. I'm using a sketch from the making of Jurassic Park book. Its not the true proportions of the t-rex, but I always liked the way it looked. Plus this was the movie that after seeing I decided to go into animation, way back when I was 12 years old. So I should have a lot of fun modeling this beast. Let me know what you think so far.
Attached Images

Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:40 AM   #2
Vertigo

3/4-ish view
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2003, 05:17 AM   #3
Rc2000

Send a message via Yahoo to Rc2000
Looks great starting off. One thing though, the head needs to be deeper if you're going for super accuracy. From the proportions of the head and jaws, it almost makes me think of an Albertosaurus. Their heads weren't as deep as a T-Rex. One thing to remember also is that T-Rexes had binocular vision so the snout would be a good bit narrower that the back of the head where the eyes are. But looks like you have that, hard to tell unless there was a straight-on shot.
Other than that, what I see so far rocks!

Rc
Current WIP -- Horse and ?

Last edited by Rc2000; 07-07-2003 at 05:21 AM..
Rc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 AM   #4
Vertigo

Hey, thanks Rc2000. Thats exactlyt he advice I need at this stage into it. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by deeper though. Do you mean the width of the head, the features of the face or the area where the neck meets the head? Sounds like you really know your dinosaurs. Mind if I call on you for some advice if I need it?

Here is the drawing I'm working off of. Unfortunately I have to front or top reference. If anyway knows where I can get some please let me know. I'm specifically looking for the Jurassic Park model any has them.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2003, 06:23 AM   #5
Rc2000

Welllllllllll, what happened was I tried my hand at modeling and animating a T-Rex not too long ago and used pics from a book I have. I tried to get it right, but I don't think I was absolutley accurate on the thing. But it wasn't too horrible. (grin)
I have a Dinosaur site I did a while back with drawings I did of em so I kinda got my feet wet so to speak on these fantastic animals.
Here's the vertex of the head I did. You can see how the snout is narrow and how much wider the back of the head is. It's not accurate, but close.
I took a bunch of screen captures of modeling that T-Rex and was trying to come up with a tutorial or something on it, but never did it.

I posted it in my forum if you want to see some pics of it and the animation.

3D T-REX

What I was talking about was the depth of the head itself, from top to bottom, like this ---

I'll try to find that book and see if I can capture some pics of the skull from the top. Here's one of the body. This was scanned at work out of the book and that's why the right edge goes kinda screwy.

Rc

Old 07-07-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
Vertigo

This is some great stuff you are showing me Rc2000. I thank you very much. After seeing that image pointing out what you meant by the depth of the head, it just became glaringly obvious how wrong it was. Funny how you can trick yourself into not seeing things like that. I think your model of the t-rex is great. If you were to put a highly detailed map on it, it would be amazing. The animation was good too, but I just couldn't see his weight transferring to each leg as he walked. But still very nice. Any reference images you can send my way would be much appreciated. Even front and top views of your model would help. I just got home from work now and am gonna get some rest, but I'll try to get some work done and posted later on.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:06 AM   #7
Vertigo

Quick update. I didn't get too much done on it. Just started adding in some details. I have tri's all over the place right now, I'm gonna have to find a way to get rid of them.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2003, 02:59 AM   #8
Rc2000

Thanks on the good words about the T-Rex I did. Thing is, it's my first real try at vertex modeling, doing my own texture maps, and animating using bones. I might go back to it sometime and work on it more.
Here's a link to a folder at my site with a list of pics of my T-Rex. I figured it'd be better putting them ther instead of hogging your topic.

T-Rex pics

But these you might not object too and they may be more of what you really need.
I finally found that book and two JP T-Rexes. They're a bit worse for wear though. Been up in the attic for a couple of years. There are more pics of these in that folder, and close-ups of the heads.
One thing I just noticed was the skin flap that stretches between the jaws. You think it might be better to be further back, closer to the back of the jaws?
That's the thing about doing dinosaurs. All we have to go by are skeletons and reconstructions someone's done of em and not the real thing.

Rc

Old 19-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #9
Vertigo

I started working on this old guy again. Still tweaking the head. It's taking a while to get the proportions of the head just right. But I'm getting closer though. I've closed the mouth mostly, thats for modeling reasons. It should be easier to get the bottom jaw to fit in easier if I model it in that position.

What do you guys think so far?

And thanks Rc2000 for those last references you posted there.
Attached Images

Old 19-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #10
Vertigo

another view
Attached Images

Old 19-08-2003, 09:28 PM   #11
Bre
Erm... what goes here?

Wow, it's really starting to look just like the movie did. That's great. So what are your final plans for this project? Are you going to do an animation or is it just modeling practice?
Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2003, 10:12 PM   #12
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
Total Awards: 9
i love jurassic park!
your t rex looks right on target, and with some textures on that head it would be movie quality
do you know where i could find any good like, raptor blueprints? love... raptors
great job!
i love seein new things around here besides the usual cars (even though thats all ive been doing lol)
sarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2003, 12:57 AM   #13
Vertigo

Hey, thanks guys.

I really want to go all out on the textures on this guy. That was sorta my main reason for choosing to do this model (other than the fact thats its just way fun!). But I'm sure once I get him all textured up I'll just have to rig/skin and animate him. I just won't be able to resist. Plus, I am going to school for animation so I see it as my duty to animate him

SarN - I have found some halfway decent shots of a raptor in a book I have: "The Makingo f Jurassic Park." I don't have a scanner at home, but I can scan them for you tomorrow when I get to school. Its no trouble, plus I'll probably end up using them too. I'll just post them here in this thread so keep an eye out!
Old 20-08-2003, 03:08 AM   #14
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
Total Awards: 9
awesome! yeah i was gonna say, as long as its no trouble to ya
thanks, ill be glued to this thread hehe
i love dinosaurs and all their bigness
sarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #15
Yanik
Electrifying

This is awsome man. I like these "tiny" creatures a lot.

I can't wait till he has some blood on his teeth.
Yanik is offline   Reply With Quote