>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V
bottom-table-gradient

Old 13-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #151
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
A simple render just to check everything is ok

I hope you like it, since I lack complements, I'll have to push the texturing phase further. Any idea for the tattoos?

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #152
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Right now I need to place the logos or team colors... :S (To be honest... the logo has been in the model for a while, look for it on the last pic, the challenge may have a prize ) I've managed to get a good result in two ways:

-Strange experiments:

-And Tattoos (One of my personal requirements was to make it full organic and not hand made... tattoos wouldn't fit it, but I've got to get it painted on the model one way or the other):

Right now any opinion and sugestion will be of great help Thanks!!!

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 14-05-2011 at 01:15 AM..
Old 14-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #153
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I gave up with the poly fire hair and modelled this one instead:

Blog
Old 14-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #154
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
I liked the paint, I think if you just work on bigger forms with it you'll get something good.

Not sure about the hair though. Might be better to just try to get the look with alpha planes. Sculpting in hair in zb is pretty tough.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #155
squarefighter

I really like the pose and the body paint. I like the use of the threedy logo in your 'strange experiments' post. The one with the organic veins oozing out of the triangle. It looks like some kind of plant virus. And if you kind of push it out on the skin it can look kind of like it's growing from underneath better. Did you ever see the animated movie Origin: Spirit of the Past? The half-tree kind of thing reminds me of that.

I can't wait to see the final!
squarefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #156
mix_mash

I think you could probably work more on the human skin texture. Instead of painting it, you could use photos. There's nothing in the rules against that for textures, I believe. It would really make a difference. Actually, all your parts could be enhanced with the use of photos in your textures.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #157
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the comments, crits and suggestions

I give up with the painting, tomorrow I'll bake it all and enhance the look in photoshop with some real textures for the skin. Wood, rocks and fur are made of real textures already. I've got a poly planes hair also ready to set, I'll then compare both results because although it might look a bit like plastic, the zbrush one has something I like .

I'm so tired, experience with polypaint tools was awesome, the result is way better than expected from my experience lacked point of view, but still, I'll let it as it is.

Overall experience and learnning curve went exactly as I wanted, way faster than without the hurry of the challenge I think I can make my own poly models now, next thing is to learn: animation

And who knows, maybe I can use my own characters in my games That would be great!!

Thanks again!

Blog
Old 18-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #158
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Almost done!!!!

(Old mesh and normals with new texture map)

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 18-05-2011 at 02:12 AM..
Old 20-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #159
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Last version, just need to compose the images now.

Low poly:

High Poly:

Thanks!!

Blog
Old 23-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #160
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Final entry:

Good luck to you all guys! We ended up with some cool entries from 3Dtotal. There are 2 o 3 that i specially like. Mine.. I had to finish it, but I'm not happy at all with my low poly I'll do better next time!!!

Blog
Old 24-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #161
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Congrats for your finish man, I was a bit off those last weeks (moving my place) so couldn't see last evolution of threedy's power.

The evolution of your character is quite interesting, there is always something to add in a chara work like some belt or weapon as accesories.
You've been doing some valuables efforts for the texturing steps, it's looking pretty realistic imo, the integration of materias is not something easy, not bad but you can even push the mix further with lill' elements or third party.
Black skin seems popular this war, like choice and originality, would have dig the punk a bit more.

I think that the "I'm not happy with my entry" mood is something a lot of people share at the end of a comp'. I think that it means you've made a progress while learning and comparing your work with the community.
Maybe next time you'll go further on your work, on the way you choose to, that's the use of this big mess.

I hope that you've achieved your goals on this comp', good luck with judging steps, what could be important here, for yourself, is looking the way you've been walking on, and think about what you'll change or push next time depending of your critical choices.

Seeya!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #162
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Congratulations on finishing up, this is definitely a tough competition to get through

I agree with Waska I think your character definitely evolved a lot through the last 2 months, and that no doubt reflects on the progress you've personally made on building a full character from scratch.

Good luck on the voting, and congrats again on finishing!

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #163
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I saw myself rethinking a lot of ideas that I didn't get to work as I planned. That's part of the learning, experience helps you decide which designs may work and which may not.

I'm so proud, it's the very first time I texture a model, my very first experience with tangent space normals, light setups, rendering engines.

I've learnt a lot, and sharing this time with the ppl of the forums has been quite a huge addon to the whole experience. I've always watched the bulls from the barrier and taking part in the action was awesome.

Next time will be way different. The aim of finishing and taking part in the comp is the greatest success of the last months in terms of personal satisfaction. Knowing I could have done better is quite stimulating aswell for the future

I had fun with my spare time, that's the important thing at the end.

Thanks for following up, for the crits, the encouraging words... to you, Washka, Puckducker and everyone else who stept by and left their 2cents.
Good luck with you great works.... some of you gys are inspiring

Blog
Old 24-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #164
TMNI VISION

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
congrats upon finishing man . You worked hard and now you have a nice piece to your arsenal . Days goes by you will have more. So, keep working. And good luck .
TMNI VISION is offline   Reply With Quote