>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V
bottom-table-gradient

Old 25-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Decent start. Only real crit at this point is that I'm not feelin' the way the way human torso blends with the horse. Particularly in the side view, her torso feels too small, and a bit too elongated up from the horse torso. I think you had the right relationship size-wise between the two torsos, in your sketch in post #5, I think I'd push things back more in that direction.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #17
zugok
John

If I understand the direction you are going in, it seems like it will be unique. I like the blend of centaur and Ent. An emphasis on the wood detail and form over muscle might be helpful.

Cheers
zugok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
Update:

I fixed (or at least tryed to fix) the arms and the joint between the animal and the girl. I'll appreciate crits on both things!!!

Basic shapes by now.

Thanks!

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Torso part attached lower (of its mid height).
Welcome to the comp', keep it up.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Thanks washka, do you think that shortening the lower part of the torso so the abs of the girl are placed lower in the horse breast will work? I'll try that out tomorrow Thanks!!

Your concept is starting to show some good shapes btw Good compo work!!

Blog
Old 26-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Nice start on the sculpt, though I agree with Washka and lower down the torso some. Just take some time and play with the proportions some more at the lowest sub div level. Really try to pull out some dynamic shapes, even in your neutral pose. It'll pay off huge as you continue to refine your sculpt if your basic layout is really exciting.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
Since you are doing an Ent earth centaur you would have an advantage of cooler looking shapes if you chose a male.
Old 28-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #23
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Koyima - You're probably right. At first I on "mother earth" you know, that's why I choose a female and i think I'll continue with it. I think it can work hehe I think that this mix is more attractive if I deal with the joint correctly. I also like the complements in females such as rings, necklaces etc.

I think I'm going to do a male and compare both tho, I don't want to misa opportunities hehe

I've shortened the torso aswell, I'll post some pics later today!!

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts!

Blog
Greatwil_himura! Thank you:
koyima (28-03-2011)
Old 28-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #24
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I've been googling...
Do you guys think that i'd better go into a male body base like this?

At this stage I can easily turn those boobies into pure muscle...
I'd make an ent arm, some rocks here and there... But it would look epic indeed with such a beard...

ahhh just can't decide!!! hehe

Only thing I'm sure now is the mood of my character. it shall show fury, furious enough to unleash natural disasters...

What do you say?

PD: My original plan was to make the hair of fire. I don't know how to put fire into the beard since the loops of the hair there go down instead of up. Normally, gravity affects fire in a different way than it does with the beard hair.... :S

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 28-03-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Old 28-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
I'm just thinking you will have a difficult time trying to create a beautiful female ent type character. Think about it, can you imagine her? If you can, in detail I mean, go for it.

Ok now keep that in mind and add the body, does it still work? That's why I asked about the sketches. I would think that an ent woman would be difficult enough to pull off, adding the body of an animal makes things even more problematic and in the end it might not look like a god.

Just look at the image you posted, what is it that makes him godly?

Anyway I would suggest either at least make the god male or get rid of the lower body and make a sexy ent woman, she can have other cool stuff, legs is not always the answer.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by koyima; 28-03-2011 at 11:52 AM..
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
You're right, it's difficult to make, but that was the challenge here, the differentiation. I've already seen several ppl trying a centaur-nature-god for DWV since I joined in almost all the forums that take part.

Now, about my concept, it was never meant to be a full body ent. It was always supposed to be a female centaur with ent and rock traces all over her body (an ent arm starting at the elbow and including the hand, fingers etc keeping the rest of the arm ant torso human).

That would simplify things a lot, and at the same time make it kinda unique.

About the God status, I was thinking on some stuff not represented in the image such as the clasic greek and roman Gods dressing and complements (typical Godish white tunic for instance). This is the part that I'm finding more difficult: Giving the thing a Godish look.

With a male torso with a clear and brilliant white beard it would instantly remind us of a classical God hehehe too easy? :S Don't know...

Blog
Old 28-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #27
koyima

Awards Showcase
"I've already seen several ppl trying a centaur-nature-god for DWV since I joined in almost all the forums that take part." That doesn't make it a good choice. Anyway as I said just my 2 cents, it's your character. Best of luck!
Old 28-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #28
gestis

Hey! You don't have to stick with horse - it have huge mass compare to wooman body. You can make it more agile by using panther body or smth similar.
gestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #29
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
So true ^^ Variables were endless until I decided a horse was somehow more "nobel", more "God" like Pegasus, semiGod's mounts hehe

I've got some sketches with panther body :S

I've got to choose one. I'm focused on finishing the project, my goal is to make it from start to finish... so the decision must be taken like now

The major problem with felines in general, is that the neck doesn't stand in the way it does in horses. Felines neck and head follows the spine in a more stright forward way than in horses I fear. I couldn't make the joint between human and feline as natural as I wanted it to be :S

Historicaly, centaur worked well while feline+human works better in a "thundercats" way. Always from my point of view of course

I can make my Godess mount a cat instead hehehehe

Nah, I'm sticking with horse I think. It might work, you'll see in 2-3 days

If not, this will be a rush of concepts, sketches and felines xD

Blog
Old 28-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
+1 for no horse bodie. i think that if you're doing a femail character than something less manly should compliment the femail torso. i think somehting like a dear or other lite animal in that direction should do the job done. here is a picture to show what i mean. the image is not mine .
Attached Images

paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote