>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V
bottom-table-gradient

Old 28-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #31
Pockets
The Common Karl

I think that if you wanted to do a female ent type character that it could work. Just because it's female doesn't mean it has to be a perfect beautiful human looking woman! (sure that never hurts though)
here are some examples that i found (the images were a little big so i didnt wanna take up too much space)
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/..._Dryad_640.jpg
http://images.epilogue.net/users/pix...w/dryad2lg.jpg
http://www.nick.com/troop-grid/image...ages/dryad.jpg
http://www.uo.com/uoml/images/creatures/dryad_th.jpg
http://images.epilogue.net/users/wee...YAD_CJC_FI.jpg

On another note, I too am a fan of the non-horse centaur idea. I think it's a lot more interesting and you can do more with it, the deer body is a good idea if you want to go for beautiful, human looking female top half.
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #32
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
I found this Aion sketches too:

So work for today:

- Get the female torso fit a less corpulent animal, maybe a deer, and make it so it does look as I'd like it to (scary since the God is furious) or use something in between like a zebra or a more stylized horse like Arabic ones.

- Turn the female into male

- Look at them (I'll finally make use of my two pc's....) I might then realize what you have adviced me, that a male fits better the ent-rock concept.

- Decide.

Thanks a lot guys, the important thing is to decide, you may succeed, you may fail, but doubts are weird!!!

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #33
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Hey pockets, when the centaur idea came to my mind, I was thinking on a bright white horse body to help it look a God. Problems with ents and myriads is that they look so not-special.... I could join many more challenges with a only ent char. Dunno, It also adds some challenge to the job itself, more material to texture it in an attractive way etc...

i'm sticking with dual animal-human body, vote for another guy!!! hahaha nahh joking, lemme fall down by myself it's the only way I'll clearly see if I'm wrong or not

Thanks a lot!!

Blog
Old 28-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #34
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
I think that if you wanted to do a female ent type character that it could work. Just because it's female doesn't mean it has to be a perfect beautiful human looking woman! (sure that never hurts though)
I'm just suggesting that maybe picking one over the other will have more chances to be a cool looking god in the end.

Last edited by koyima; 28-03-2011 at 03:03 PM..
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #35
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I'll upload some of my ent sketches tonight, it's hard to tell you what I've got in my mind, but you will see how mixing only parts and not the entire body makes it way easier and let's you keep the elegant and sexy body

Be patient.

Every opinion posted here makes me twist a bit more, like a cleaning cloth, and all the water drops that fall down are great inspiration, thus your comments are really helping me, all of them

Thanks

Blog
Old 28-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #36
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
If you are convinced there is no reason to convince anyone else, but if you want to show, sketches would be cool.
Old 28-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #37
koyima

Awards Showcase
What I have in mind when you say ent-woman. (Will remove if you want me to).
Attached Images

Last edited by koyima; 28-03-2011 at 03:34 PM..
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #38
koyima

Awards Showcase
Just because we are on a team, I think that is the reason of the forum based teams, correct? If it was every man for himself it wouldn't be about forums, part of the comp is the conversation...
Old 28-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #39
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
That's the point, you would call that an ent-woman, and I would say, yes, an ent-woman

I've got some sketches detailing my idea, but the sketches are too raw, I don't like them, and I expected to have some sculpting already to show off.

My idea is to use a complete female torso over a horse body. Create an estilized figure, a beautiful woman, but an angry woman.

Resting, my God would look just perfect, she is the spirit of earth and all animals living together in perfect equilibrium and it wouldn't have ent or rock parts.

When annoyed, it's like the earth energy flows through it's entire body, making some natural aspects appear, and I'll use those to detail some small parts of my character. I could have an ent hand only because it's casting some water/wood attack, some rocky look on the horse extremities so it can crush the enemies and in my mind, the female head is totally human with fire instead of hair

Lemme get home, sculpt a bit and show the results to you, but I did theese sketches at work to start with

This could be a hand:

And this could be a detail in the shoulder, back or any part in the horse:

Weird overall sketch

That last sketch is exagerated, it will be 70-90% human.

I hope this helps understanding my ideas hehe

Anyways, you are right koyima, ppl see what I decide to share and my concept was not complete.

Let's see how it goes today and tomorrow sketching in zbrush, because I decided to jump there in order to make some important decision I couldn't take on 2d sketches (because of my lack of 2d skill probably ^^).

Thanks again to you all, I won't get tired of getting feedback... not any soon!!

Blog
Old 28-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #40
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Koyima - Good sketches you've got there for an ent-female btw!!!

Blog
Greatwil_himura! Thank you:
koyima (28-03-2011)
Old 28-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #41
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Now I remembre why I'm not sketching that yet on zbrush, I'm on the part where symetry is needed and my details won't be evenly placed hehe jezz

Blog
Old 28-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #42
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Hi again

I tried to make a simple base mesh for corpulent&strong male and elegant&sexy female:

Opinions ^^

Blog
Old 28-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #43
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I think you've got a much better integration between the horse and human torso now than you've had prior.

So far as the whole "should you keep the horse look" debate, my suggestion is for you to go with what you're most comfortable with and what you think you'll be able finish the best. There's nothing wrong with being a little less creative, but executing that really well.

The picture Paulis-st posted is really cool, giraffe's apparently make excellent centaurs.

I think personally, what I'd do with your concept is really play up the difference between the slender female human torso, and the mass/bulk of the horse body. Really beef up the horse body, make it all gnarly and ent-ish, then taper that off into a slender sexy female torso.

Just some thoughts I thought I'd throw out for you to mull over.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #44
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
I would put the torso lower, arms of the man stronger, same for neck.

Quote:
so the abs of the girl are placed lower in the horse breast will work?
Yeah, I know I repeat myself. xD

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatwashka! Thank you:
wil_himura (30-03-2011)
Old 29-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #45
koyima

Awards Showcase
Why don't you use your current screen-grabs from Zbrush to sketch some of your ideas on. You can also play with proportions.
Change the material to something like a Grey or the white skin one.