>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V
bottom-table-gradient

Old 24-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
ColeBot
Nooblet

Dominance War V - 3D - TBA - ColeBot

Been lurking around this site for some time now and never posting due to the awesomeness of the talent on this site. Always wanted to enter a challenge/competition so why not start here!? Also never done low poly, but very much want to learn. Hopefully I will finish the contest, if not it will be a great learning experience. Good luck to all!!!

Not sure what I want to do yet, but have a few ideas that I got from the Seventh Sanctum site generators and elsewhere. I may just end up sketching out ideas then deciding later, but here are ideas I like:

Baku (Japanese God) A good spirit, known as the 'eater of dreams'
God of the Damned
God of Nighttime
God of Rain
God of the Forests

Will start sketching soon!!
ColeBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
You'll probably have to throw out the first one. I'm pretty sure the rules specified we couldn't use "real" gods, might want to double check that.

I like the Night God idea, that's cool, and something I haven't seen anyone doing yet. There's tons of forest/nature gods, and Gods of the "Damned" [or substitute any similar word], so unless you think you can really bring something creative to the table in those categories, I'd definitely go with the god of night.

If you're hooked on something with a Japanese flavor, you could always go that way with the god of rain, kimono/folding paper umbrella thing [whose name escapes me at the moment].

Anyway, welcome to the War, and good luck.

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 24-03-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
ColeBot
Nooblet

Ah I forgot that we can't use preexisting gods, thanks for the heads up!
Old 31-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
ColeBot
Nooblet

Having a little trouble coming up with concepts. Here's some thumbnails that probably don't make any sense. Trying a mirror technique that I've never tried before. If anyone has any advice or tuts on generating fast thumbnails it would be greatly appreciated. Everything I have found has just shown people drawing thumbnails with no dialogue...
Attached Images

Last edited by ColeBot; 31-03-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Old 31-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
ColeBot
Nooblet

Here are a few other concepts. Going to keep coming up with ideas until I find something I really like.
Attached Images

Old 31-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
3 in the first set of sketches, and 1 and 2 in the second set of sketches, all have a really nice feel to them. I'm particularly keen on 2 in the second set, as that's makes a radical departure from what most people are doing. You got some really cool stuff here, I definitely look forward to see more.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
I quite like 8 in the first pic and I agree with Warlock 279, 2 of second pic is so different...

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
ColeBot
Nooblet

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback! Going to try and come up with some more sketches later today.
Old 31-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
2 looks different, but maybe too different. Defining the details though might make it fit in better (there is a certain level of bad-a$$ery expected, in my opinion)
Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
mix_mash

No. 2 in the second set is unique. He has a god-like presence without being super muscular or powerful (yet he is still big, which is one aspect of the common idea of godhood). I'd like to see No. 2 as a separate project to DW5 actually. It draws me in someways.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
I think 2 is pretty unique, but I like a lot of the designs in the first image. Maybe combining some elements like the mask and and circular designs from the first concept together with the second.

The only thing I'd say against the second would be the arms would be tough to pull off an interesting design with in 3D. Typically 3D designs don't lend themselves well to a minimalist sort of style.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #12
ColeBot
Nooblet

Thanks for the feedback everyone

koyima I agree. Thanks. I like number two that he is different, but definitely not bada$$ enough, might have to add something to him.

mix_mash Number two might be good for a side project like you said unless I could spice him up a bit. Thanks

Puckducker Thats a good idea of adding the abstract designs to one on the second page. I agree that number 2 needs to be fleshed out more to be realized in 3d. Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
ColeBot
Nooblet

Tried out Alchemy for the first time and really liking it for idea generation. Here's what came out of it. Almost all of them are just busts for now, or at least attempts at them. I'm going to try and flesh out the best concepts more before I finally decide what to go with. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by ColeBot; 01-04-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
mix_mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeBot View Post
mix_mash Number two might be good for a side project like you said unless I could spice him up a bit. Thanks
Don't overdo it, though. His simplicity is the other appeal of him.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
4/7 mix or 5.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote