>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 24-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #61
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Hahahhahaa

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #62
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
lol @Prime.

sorry for short reply, perhaps sounded rude, I typed on phone. I thought same as you Hula, til BigToe replied initially
Old 24-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #63
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
yep, the base of the chess piece counts towards the tri count, but the stand that it "stands" on does not.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #64
snakeeaterjns

I must be based on pieces of Lewis, or pieces of Staunton?

Game art competition - Battle Chess
snakeeaterjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #65
snakeeaterjns

Sorry. Wrong post.

Game art competition - Battle Chess
snakeeaterjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #66
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
this competition needs this....

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=317235

the first post holds gold.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatpoopipe! Thank you:
timberwo7ves (26-06-2011)
Old 26-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #67
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
so your saying we need more thought placed into the designs?

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #68
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
im saying it wouldnt be a bad thing

Chess pieces are abstract enough concepts to allow a lot of freedom but they're also subject to very strong preconceptions and rules about their roles.

The design has to fit the role or the piece will be a failure.

Old 26-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #69
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I agree with Poopipe. One of the reasons I wasn't fully behind the idea of a chess piece, is because of how open it could become. It's turned into a character competition, with frankly an unlimited number of possible classes/races.

Take any character you can think of, and you could probably reason a way for it to be a particular chess piece.
Old 26-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #70
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Maybe instead of forcing people to make their project fit the piece, the judges should just subtract points for them NOT making their project fit the piece.
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #71
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prime View Post
It's turned into a character competition, with frankly an unlimited number of possible classes/races.
It is a character competition though :S The pieces are going to be characters in the game? By the threads so far though, I get what you mean; most don't look like they should/could be used in a game of chess, and just seem like a general game char.. but I would hope that it's something that everyone's thought about - if I get time to do mine, it's definitely got to be reworked so it fits a board.
Old 26-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #72
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlucardAssassin View Post
Maybe instead of forcing people to make their project fit the piece, the judges should just subtract points for them NOT making their project fit the piece.
nobody's forcing anything - crap designs generally don't win these comps

I see prime's point of view but one of the reasons I suggested battlechess piece in the first place was to open up the competition beyond just character art - there's people on here who're **** hot at hard surface work but just can't get their heads around organics and they're usually screwed in these comps because 90% of the time they're character based.

The other reason is like I mentioned above - interpretation is wiiiide open but there is a solid theme to each piece if you actually pay attention to what you're designing

Old 26-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #73
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
cough cough*

This is kinda why i decided to enter...although at the same time making my entry fit the category is both a bit of a bitch and a challenge. Which is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
nobody's forcing anything - crap designs generally don't win these comps

I see prime's point of view but one of the reasons I suggested battlechess piece in the first place was to open up the competition beyond just character art - there's people on here who're **** hot at hard surface work but just can't get their heads around organics and they're usually screwed in these comps because 90% of the time they're character based.

The other reason is like I mentioned above - interpretation is wiiiide open but there is a solid theme to each piece if you actually pay attention to what you're designing
Old 27-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #74
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Well I am actually planning on capturing the emotion of the battlefield in my piece... So the emotions can be played upon as well.

Either way Poopipe adviced me to post some other names for the pieces here as the differentiate between different languages. Might help with ideas and the different meanings of the pieces...

Direct translations for the swedish names
Pawn=Peasant
Rook=Tower
Knight=Steed
Bishop=Runner
Q and K are the same...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote