>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge
bottom-table-gradient

Old 17-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
mies

Mount up - Mies

Im gonna go for a dino of some sort, not sure yet what. Didn't do any 3D in ages so im curius how this is gonna work.
mies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Send a message via MSN to hulahuga Send a message via Skype™ to hulahuga
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Go at it man, looking forward to your wip shots!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
mies

Okies, I see i'm not the only one thats gonna make a dino. Thats GREAT! i can't wait to see the results!

Also @hulahuga: thnx I will do my best! best of luck to you to!

I started of doodling some in Photoshop and started of with the idea of a skeleton of a dino. ( noticed im not the only one hope you don't mind everyone else with the idea ).

Here is some of it:

Then i got fed up with just drawing and wanted to do some 3D, so just decided to start in max:

Any crit, suggestions or such are most welcome and I hope you guys have atleast half the fun I had making this
Old 23-09-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
You could actually have a smaller dino using the skeleton pieces as armor

And nah, of course we don't mind.

WIP
Old 23-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
mies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post
You could actually have a smaller dino using the skeleton pieces as armor

And nah, of course we don't mind.
Thats actualy a great idea! I' m gonna think about it with my tris count and if i can get it visualized in my head. Thnx for thinking with me ^.^
Old 23-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
That's what I do

WIP
Old 24-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Total Awards: 8
I liked the direction your 2d was going.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
mies

Wires

Hey guys, wanted to help you, help me by showing my wires . Any tips are most welcome

Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Looks pretty clean so far. Just keep at it! =)

WIP
Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
mies

Hey guys, quick question that popped in my head @ work, would it be handy to make some bones share same texture space? like some ribs or like both arms? You're thoughts on this and the why especially interests me..
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
It might be worth it but the allowed texture sheet size means that you don't have to. It really depends on whether you can get away with having perfectly symmetrical texture details or whether you want each limb to have it's own unique texture

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
mies

@Perversonality thanks for you're reply. I understand the result is that both elements would be the same. But the real question i would like to ask is, would you do it? and why?

So we got the answer, that it is not needed cuz we got enough texture space, any other thoughts?

Like: it would save time in texture painting right?
Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
It would definitely save time on texture painting For the how-to, I would delete the polys that are will be mirrored, unwrap what remains, texture and then create a copy of the model, mirror and delete the duplicate faces, then attach the two parts together and weld the verts

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Oh snap! I'm jealous of this concept, wish I'd thought of it. What a great idea!

Are you using anything for reference or are you just going off of mental image? I think, personally, it would be better to do a real dinosaur skeleton for it rather than a stylized/fantasized idea of a dinosaur. Can't think of much to critique otherwise, the arms seem a bit long.

Looking forward to seeing where this one goes!

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
mies

Ok, update:

Working on the arms, and added a jawbone. Next up is the legbone and foot.

pick apart guys!