>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The All New Speed Modelling Challenges
bottom-table-gradient

Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
Antor

Software used: Rhinoceros,Vray for Rhino; Modelling time: 60 minutes; Texturing time: 10 minutes.
Attached Images

Antor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
dantrodgers

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
My entry for this week... its a mechanical heat ventilation recovery unit

not sure if im going to have time to make and render a beauty, hopefully i will.

EDIT: added beauty render
Attached Images

Last edited by dantrodgers; 07-10-2011 at 01:31 PM..
dantrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Absolutely adore those mechanical designs! Well feeling alot better than yesterday, never felt so ill in all my life as i did yesterday. I seriously would not have wished it on my worst enemy (well maybe Jedward) i think it was caused by a chinese meal we had (sweet & sour chicken balls with salt & pepper chips) usually a gorgeous meal but i fear on this occasion the chicken may have been slightly under cooked causing the poisoning. I don't have food like that very often it's usually a treat but alas not treat was to be had this time around.

Anyway progress at the moment should mean business as usual with the smc's i'm torn between two modelling topics and will have to choose later on today.

You will have to wait and see folks
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
dantrodgers

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
got to love salt and pepper chips.. but if its anything like the Chinese's round here i doubt they even gave you chicken
Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantrodgers View Post
got to love salt and pepper chips.. but if its anything like the Chinese's round here i doubt they even gave you chicken
Ooooeeerrrr i hope it was chicken!!!!
Twitter
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #21
Daye
aka Nehumanuscrede

Send a message via Yahoo to Daye
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 27 - Air Fresheners - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 28 - Juke Box - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Participants ?

Not many participants in this weeks challenge. Four I think ?

This typical of the weekly challenges these days, or is it still dependent
on the topic like it used to be ? ( Some draw far more entries than others )

BTW nice entries so far.

It will be rare to see any beauty renders from me as they take forever to setup.
I like V-Ray as I think it's a better solution than Flamingo is ( Rhino's own renderer )
but my hands down favorite is Mental Ray.

However, converting an object into something Softimage can read is a giant
pain in the a$$. The mesh never quite comes out right and requires a lot of
tweaking once converted, so I rarely move between the two anymore.

If I model in one system, I render in that system. Just easier to manage.

Antor: Since you use both as well, if you have any tips on getting a decent mesh
out of Rhino and into Softimage with minimal hassle, I am all ears believe me

Softimage supports IGES and the obvious .obj format, but in both cases the mesh
seems to have open spots and other errors that drive me nuts.

Last edited by Daye; 07-10-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Daye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #22
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
I think it's half the topics and half interest, sadly it's just not as popular lately...... alot of the members that campaigned to have these challenges back aren't even visiting the site much let alone participating. I will keep running these challenges as long as they are wanted but it needs more members taking part.

I think the next SMC will be a good one, so I'm hoping now we are fully entered into Autumn/Fall lots more peeps will be keeping warm inside their homes and modelling more and more.

Daye can you import FBX files, they are pretty reliable for keeping the meshes roughly the same after export, in most cases OBJ works perfectly for me.
Twitter
Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #23
Daye
aka Nehumanuscrede

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 27 - Air Fresheners - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 28 - Juke Box - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Hmmm. . . . . .

Dunno how to re-spark the interest in the comps myself. Even I was out of 3D for a few years due to other interests. Since the topics change on a weekly basis, the only real thing that CAN be changed would be either more or less modeling time. Though going under an hour starts to push the limits of being able to produce a decent result I think.

While Softimage can't import .fbx, Maya appears to be able to. I'll play with it a bit and see how it looks. I can always render it in Maya if all else fails. . .
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
Antor

Daye my English is too poor to give advice. Google translate too bad actually, because I do not know English.
I do not know how to do effective transfer of rhino in Softimage. In fact it seems to me like Softimage be the worst at something imported.
Have you tried KeyShot? 3DM Import perfect.
Antor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #25
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Righto this challenge is now over then, and the next challenge will be on it's way shortly.
Twitter
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
Daye
aka Nehumanuscrede

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antor View Post
Daye my English is too poor to give advice. Google translate too bad actually, because I do not know English.
I do not know how to do effective transfer of rhino in Softimage. In fact it seems to me like Softimage be the worst at something imported.
Have you tried KeyShot? 3DM Import perfect.
No worries man. I can export the Rhino nurbs to .obj format with ease, the problem lies in quality vs quantity. If I crank up the settings it will create a beautiful mesh. The downside being such a high poly count even Zbrush would be impressed. The last air-freshener I did I was testing the export and to keep the mesh from showing faceted corners, the poly count was up around 1.5M polys :| Makes for a long render . . .

On the other hand, I can crank the settings down and get fewer polys, at the expense of a faceted mesh which gives me rendering anomalies.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't apparently . . . .
Old 28-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #27
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Results
Twitter