>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The All New Speed Modelling Challenges
bottom-table-gradient

Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Sinbad
Kujoe Apprentice

Hi super fast modellers... to get faster at speed modelling would I be right in thinking I need to move away from box modelling and become more familiar with spline modelling, most of the work I’ve seen here seems to be extruding shapes? Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Sinbad: Check out Grant Warwicks hard surface essentials... this video will work magic for you
http://vimeo.com/10941211
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatastroAJ! Thank you:
Sinbad (13-10-2011)
Old 13-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #18
Daye
aka Nehumanuscrede

Send a message via Yahoo to Daye
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 27 - Air Fresheners - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 28 - Juke Box - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
I don't think Spline modeling is any faster ( quite the opposite in my opinion ) but it is better suited towards certain objects than others.
I really enjoy Rhino as it is incredibly powerful ( most disregard it because it's ONLY Nurbs ) and very easy to use.

Technically, I could model in Sub D, but it takes me a LOT longer because I have to concentrate on keeping the mesh clean. Also, since
Softimage ( my poly modeler of choice ) is horrible at both Nurbs and Booleans, I have to shift gears in my brain and rethink how I would
build an item as it requires a very different approach than Nurbs / Splines do. ( My opinion of course )

Usually, I'll brainstorm for a while when considering how to model something to determine which app I'll use to do it.

If it's an organic subject my path is easy. I get Zbrush up. Sculpt till I'm happy, then drop it into Topogun so I can re-topo the mesh into
something that won't bring Softimage to its knees. Import it, and work from there.

Oh and just so you know. . . .

While it may look like we blast through this stuff in record time, there is a lot of prep / planning to do. Before I start any model, I'll sit
down and work out how I'm going to go about building it. Make sure what I think will work, actually WILL work or not. Once I have the
steps laid out ( and it's pretty damned important especially in Nurbs / Spline modeling ) then I will start the clock and get hot. By that
point you can blast through it because you're not guessing what you should be doing. You know the order things should happen in, and
you won't model yourself into black hole. ( Where you hope Ctrl-Z has enough memory to back up enough )

Even then, it sometimes takes me 2-3 tries to get a model done in time. Because, even with pre-planning, the software will occasionally
throw you a curve ball. Sometimes the trims don't work right. Or an edge fillet goes nuts, or a system lock up will happen exactly one
quarter of a second before you save your progress . . . :| Not to mention I occasionally bite off more than I can chew.

Yeah, I can model that . . . . . . an hour passes . . . . . . . hmmm . . . . damn. . . apparently not

Last edited by Daye; 13-10-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Daye is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatDaye! Thank you:
Sinbad (13-10-2011)
Old 13-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
I've said this a few times over the years but i'll say it again. What Daye says is exactly true and is common with alot of modellers process who participate on this challenges. There is no wrong or right way to delve into the challenges, some people will prefer to use splines... convert them to editable polys and go from there, others may prefer to model from a primitive shape and then edit that shape with several chamfers, extrudes, fillets, bevels and knife cuts here and there. Some might like using a combination of both.... the fact is 99.9% will go with what they know and what they are most comfortable with.

Knowing your software of choice is key here but for real time saving, knowing your shortcut keys and items such as mirroring/symmetry objects can be real time savers. Familarity with the software comes with playing around time and time again and the notion practice makes perfect has never been so true. In this case it can genuinly benefit your modelling times. Another key element as Daye said is pre planning, for me this is essential! When i start a speed model i will already have a good idea in my head backed up with trial runs, sketches and as many high res reference images as i can get.

But don't get disheartened if you cannot get a model finished in time, this is what the challenge is all about it's not meant to be too easy it is after all a challenge, i myself struggled to get all the detailing i wanted done for both my starter and my second entry, but it's about having a go in the first place that counts, never be afraid of posting your unfinshed entries..... it's still and entry after all regardless of what you personally might think about your efforts it's good to share and members constructive critism is invaluable in improving your modelling etc.

There isn't a single member on this site that didn't start out crap, we all had to learn and practice, and the more you do it the more natural it will be to knock out a highly detailed masterpeice in the given timeframe.

So what you waiting for? Go get modelling and show us what you can do
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatClassicGamer-3DT! Thank you:
Sinbad (13-10-2011)
Old 13-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
Sinbad
Kujoe Apprentice

Thanks allot guys I really appreciate your help and advice that youíre giving;
itís been a while since I last did some serious modelling...
Iím a little rusty but over the coming weeks/months
hopefully I will have modelled something worthy of your praise...
THX..again...
Old 13-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #21
Sinbad
Kujoe Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroAJ View Post
Sinbad: Check out Grant Warwicks hard surface essentials...
this video will work magic for you

Just watched the video i'm off to set up some hot keys and practice...
Old 14-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #22
Chrix
constantly impressed

Hey all, first time doing one of these, hope it's OK. The model isn't UV'd, and I used 3D projected textures. Oh well, I had great fun doing it! This one is based (generally) on a Gabel Kuro jukebox. edit: I forgot to have the glass bit in the wireframe render, so it's the half transparent bit now.

Name:  Juke.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  188.2 KB
Name:  Wireclay.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  186.9 KB

Modeled in Maya / Rendered using Mental Ray
Modeling time 59 minutes (from 5:30 to 6:29)
Texture time 20 minutes
Render time : 30 minutes
Lighting / Camera: 3 Point, AO, GI, FG, Bokeh DOF

Last edited by Chrix; 14-10-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Chrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Chrix - That's a great model with good clean wireframes and a sweet render we done.

Out most of the day today so won't get back home till around 6pm then will have to sort out tonight's smc.
Twitter
Old 14-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
OK this challenge is now over. The next challenge is live and ready to go
Twitter
Old 17-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
lunarion6

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroAJ View Post
Sinbad: Check out Grant Warwicks hard surface essentials... this video will work magic for you
Wow nice video. I've been 3D modeling for many years now (though not really that actively) but somehow never learned about plane modeling. Thx for the link!
Old 28-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #26
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Results
Twitter