>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat
bottom-table-gradient

Old 24-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Manelo

How to start to learn anatomy.

I have really hard time with this, how to start to learn anatomy?

I have books and DVDs for it, but they are too hard to understand, too much information and less pictures.

1.They are too complicated to understand.
2. They have way to much texts
3.They are probably for medical student.

Do i need to know everything about human anatomy, if i want to be good modeler?

One guy suggests me this site, BioDigital Human: Explore the Body in 3D!
i don't know if is it good to start, he says that, from that site he learn anatomy, or should stick to the books, even i hate them, with too much texts in one place.

I want very simple book about anatomy, where i can see, skeleton and muscles, with colors, where they start where they move, and how they interact from the surface.

Also, i want to ask you, how do i learn anatomy, i mean do i need every single thing of the body? For example, lets take human skull, i have some pictures collected from internet in all side. Do i need to first learn the names,watch how the skull is structured?

Or should i watch and sculpt at the same time in Zbrush? So i can learn the shape, names and so on, and i can learn Zbrush. Or should i learn first Zbrush?

WoW i am bit confused.
Manelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 11
I’m no expert at this, but ill give it a try.

One way to learn anatomy is drawing/sketching from your reference material, and just keep practicing over and over. That may not be what you want to hear, but that’s the way i would approach it.
If you don’t feel like drawing anatomy you could sculpt it too, but i would suggest that u focus on one thing at a time. Like skulls, hands, feet and different bones. And when you feel that you know how to do these, then you could start combining those to create a whole body.

Regarding the names of muscles and bones, it would be good to know some of them, or at least the biggest and most basic of them. That would give you better understanding and it would be easier to find reference material for that part of the body.

You should have a basic knowledge about how to use the software, It would be hard just to jump straight in and start doing it. so watch and follow some tutorials, so you get the hang of the interface and tools. When you have that basic knowledge, you should be able to get going, and like it is with everything else, just keep practicing. It will take time to get it perfect, but it will make you very good at it.
Old 24-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Manelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStandar View Post
Iím no expert at this, but ill give it a try.

One way to learn anatomy is drawing/sketching from your reference material, and just keep practicing over and over. That may not be what you want to hear, but thatís the way i would approach it.
If you donít feel like drawing anatomy you could sculpt it too, but i would suggest that u focus on one thing at a time. Like skulls, hands, feet and different bones. And when you feel that you know how to do these, then you could start combining those to create a whole body.

Regarding the names of muscles and bones, it would be good to know some of them, or at least the biggest and most basic of them. That would give you better understanding and it would be easier to find reference material for that part of the body.

You should have a basic knowledge about how to use the software, It would be hard just to jump straight in and start doing it. so watch and follow some tutorials, so you get the hang of the interface and tools. When you have that basic knowledge, you should be able to get going, and like it is with everything else, just keep practicing. It will take time to get it perfect, but it will make you very good at it.

Thank for the respond my friend.

I thought that you going to say about drawing, i never ever draw in my life, i hate it, even now i regret.

Yea i am learning now Zbrush the interface,tools so the basic, after i finish this, i would start to sculpt a skull, i stick with this until i get something to look "real" well close to real. How much time should i spent sculpting? I have a lot of time for, so how much would be good to spent?
Manelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Well its hard to say how much time someone would have to spend doing something. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with what you are doing.
If you want you can try and sculpt the whole human body too, because it can be boring to just practising at parts of the body, as long as you feel good with your progress you are doing great.

Just keep practicing at it, and it will get better and better. And dont get too hang up on the looks of it in the beginning.
Old 24-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
I would seriously think about getting some real sculpting skills before you work on 3d sculpting. It's not critical but it would give you a much better idea of volume and shape prior to switching to a 3d application. Check out the following book too; it gives you a great amount of information about anatomy of the head and also shows you how each component part can be created using clay. There's no reason why you couldn't use the same methods in a 3d app too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modelling-He...ref=pd_sim_b_1

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
The last thing you want to start from is detailed diagrams. You'll loose sight of the entire figure by trying to focus on the small details. It's far better to look at how artists simplify the human body first into basic shapes. A good sculptor will go through very similar steps to achieve consistent results. Vilppu and Bridgeman are both good places to start from. Then once you have a commanding hold of proportions and the basic building blocks that make up the figure, look into Zac Petroc's sculpting tutorials.

As far as drawing is concerned, yeah you should be doing it. It trains your eye to see proportions, so if you wish, think of it more as an exercise. Sculpting of course though is a different medium. I don't think you necessarily have to be comfortable with drawing to be good at sculpting, but it certainly helps. If anything it will help you grow quicker as a sculptor.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 24-10-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatCrispy4004! Thank you:
MStandar (24-10-2011)
Old 24-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
MStandar
Addicted to 3D

Awards Showcase
Crispy4004 does have a point. you will get better proportions, if you block out the basic shape first. My advice don't really work, when it comes to create a whole body. Just when training on making certain parts look very good. Like if you feel like your hands look bad, you just keep practicing at making hands till they look right, then you take what you have learned from that, and use your new skills on your next sculpture.

I actually don't have any organic sculpting experience, I have tried but never finished. So I might not be the best to give advice, but I do what I can.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Jareddar

You can download Grays anatomy free, doa search and you will find it. Also Ryan Kingslien and Cesar Dacol Jr suggest looking at plastic surgery to learn some terms. Personally I concentrate on form for the most part. I am not an artists, not even close so I use reference material to approximate form. You don't need to know all the names but a small amount of knowledge of how they fit together and what they look like is better than none at all. When sculpting you just need to think about how a part will look with muscles or bones, what would the skeleton look like, how would the muscle form over it, what tendons would be there working joints etc. Then painting, use imagination for colour and texture. IF you are trying to be absolutely perfect then look at as many reference images as possible. Try to find a tutorial about the subject and see how some one else gets the effect. If you try to concentrate on learning anatomy to perfection then you lose sight of why you create art. Just have fun and learn by mistakes. This is what I do and every time I get a constructive criticism, it spurs me to focus on that area.
Jareddar is offline   Reply With Quote