>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

top-table-gradient
Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The All New Speed Modelling Challenges
bottom-table-gradient

Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
SMC #34 "The Future Of Games" - Next Gen Gaming Systems

The Challenge Rules

1). Each challenge we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modeling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief can be removed and the poster disqualified.

2). You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified.

3). Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like and must include a clear and easy to see wireframe of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Wire renders/ Cell Shaded or Screengrab wireframes are acceptable. Any wireframes we cannot see correctly will be disqualified. The key is for us to be able to see the wireframes clearly to ascertain how you modelled the subject matter.

4). You MUST include the following details with each submission:

A). Software used
B). Time spent creating the model.
C). A Clay Render of your models.

Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information can be removed and the poster disqualified.

5). Post TWO images per entry which must be no larger than 1280x1024 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 195k.
1 image for your wireframes and 1 for your clay combined with a optional beauty render.
These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page.
Do not link to external images files. Images larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials)
will be removed and the poster disqualified.

6). The creation of displacement maps, normal maps and any splines drawn out in an external program other than your modeling software are to be included in your modeling time.

7). Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post it as long as it's recognizable.

8). Posting the same entry twice in a challenge is considered to be double posting and will result in a disqualification. When asked to fix a previous post due to DQ or any other reason, you must fix the first post, or delete it altogether and create a new one.

9). The Winner must email jo@3dtotal.com to claim their prize.

10). Only 1st place & 2nd place (i.e. the runner up) can claim a prize.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions!

Subject: Next Gen Gaming Systems.
Deadline - 10:00PM GMT 16th December 2011.
Description: Gaming systems..... these fantastic machines have been entertaining us for the best part of 40 years, from black & white sprites with blips and blops for sound effects with games such as Pong all the way to a fully immersive video game that feels like your in control of a hollywood film with a full orchestral soundtrack such as Uncharted 3. But as fast as the games run, or as good as they look it's the next gen hardware systems which are needed to run these fabulous games. So here is your chance to model you're own gaming system! It could be based on a reworking of the top current systems such as Wii, Xbox & Playstation, maybe you'd like to show your interpretation of the PS4 or the Xbox 720, you could rework an existing PC/Mac gaming system.... or you could bring back an old system for a future retro return..... what would a 2012 Snes or Megadrive/Genesis look like? How about a massive online multiplayer capable Spectrum machine, or a 3D enabled Gamegear? The choice as ever is yours so make it a good one

Modelling Time: 90 Mins.

Prizes:

1st Place - 30 worth of 3DTotal downloadable products & a gold award badge.
2nd Place - 10 worth of 3DTotal downloadable products & a silver award badge.
Honourable Mentions - Bronze Award Badges

Above All Else Have Fun & Good Luck!

My Starter

Went for an old style controller without the centered playstation black button but with a new take on the base console, much smaller and compact with alot more powerful
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
kudagras

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
Spry

[ATTACH]Name:  Spry_renders_TeLisaWarren_002.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  64.2 KB[/ATTACH]
Spry is meant to be an emulator on the go.
You would be able to play next gen and previous generation games on the go. The gloves store the data for gaming. The glasses act as your monitor(akin to the sony 3d glasses for the 3d tv). The gloves would work similar to the glove in Heavy Rain for the Add Reality Interface (in that you could feel the object of say a PS3 controller in your hand).
Attached Images

kudagras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Aramor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Been a long while since I've entered in one of these and I forgot how much fun it was.

Anyway, here's my entry. It's the Sontendy GameBoy Portable. I think the name speaks for itself
Attached Images

So, following that rational, I'll leave this empty.

Wait...
Aramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01 Send a message via Skype™ to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
the xbox cubed (x3)
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 13
Nice work guys

Just finished modelling mine, And am working on the beauty will have it up by Fri, I hope XD
astroAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Here's my entry for this week, I really enjoyed modelling it but ran out of time to model the controller.

Hope to see more entries in the next few days
Attached Images

Old 15-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
That's a nice chunky and unique design there astroAJ Some interesting concepts coming in this SMC, just wish there were more but this time of year is a busy time I know.

Off Topic - I get to go out tommorow in a wheelchair and a taxi to the cinema! Yay! Gonna watch Sherlock Holmes A Game Of Shadows, looks brilliant
Twitter
Old 15-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
newhere
Work, art and videogames

Send a message via AIM to newhere
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: or participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band'' 
Total Awards: 7
I would love to enter this one but i got to work. I do have an idea if anyone wants to create it of this big room (as big as an empty warehouse) that was built for gaming. You walk into it, the doors behind you closes a computer control panel starts and the vents in the warehouse/virtual room sprays out tiny micro nano machines in the air and as you breath them in, they alter your perception...making you see things in the warehouse that aint even there (its kinda like in a way gettin high off of weed but while you are sober and not high). the floor also in the ware house has a built-in tread mil that moves in any direction it knows your body is going like for example: lets say you walk 100 meters in-game to go somewhere but the warehouse only is 50 meters. the tread mil will move a certain way to give the user the appearance/feeling as if you are moving at 100 meters in-game even tho in real life you are not. also the nano machines that have tooken over your brain, heart and body will also give the user the effect/feeling/appearance of as if you really did like walk 100 meters even tho you might of just went 50 meters or less (it sort of helps add more realism to it) the nano machines can also make your body cold, hot, weak, strong, etc. depending on the weather in-game. there is a lot more in depth things i have to add but i have to get back to work so i will just leave that to your imagination.
"Life is like a video game that you have to play seriously. You can't just push the start button if you fail and come back in with everything you know or everything you have gained over a period of time."
~Newhere~

Angel Mars (Nudity)
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=75414
Queen's Blade Vol. 12 ~ Cattleya
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=62172
Dominance War V - God Of Enlightenment:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82875
newhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
ah ha.. i'm in.. hopefully post this weekend..
Old 16-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
astroAJ
ʘὦʘ →

Awards Showcase
I was thinking it would be fun to have a telescope based theme for one of these smc's.
Old 16-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Duly noted astroAJ, we had a smc a year or so back this exactly that theme but it may return in a future challenge.
Twitter
Old 16-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_F01 View Post
ah ha.. i'm in.. hopefully post this weekend..
You could post this weekend...... but you'd be too late. This challenge ends tonight.

Then a holiday themed challenge will run for the next two weeks.
Twitter
Old 16-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Righto that's the end of this challenge then. The next challenge is ready to go, see you on the other side
Twitter
Old 16-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
aww man.. i might still finish my entry anyway.. its a cracker..
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Results
Twitter