PDA

View Full Version : Game programming in 3ds Max.

RionMcCloud
15-09-2003, 04:16 AM
I've read you can completely build a game in 3Ds Max. Can you? And if so, are there any good books on the subject?

Heretic
15-09-2003, 04:56 AM
It is not 3d s max but G Max. I don't know much about it though. You can get more information from www.discreet.com. The free version cannot make full games I think, - only for certain mods and like that. It is a great tool to learn max, though.

Tim_Cutho
15-09-2003, 07:17 AM
I was under the impression that Gmax was only for creating and exporting models (with animation, textures etc) to game engines or game mods. I'm pretty sure you can't get any level of interactivity with characters in gmax or 3ds max, in fact the only program I know that can do anything remotely similar to creating games is Blender - It's free, but amazingly irritating and difficult to use i find ;)

RionMcCloud
15-09-2003, 07:46 AM
Yeah. I tried blender for my first 3D program. Very steep learning curve there. Anybody know anything about DarkBasic? Or another good, free, 3D game engine?

Heretic
15-09-2003, 09:36 AM
I have used Darkbasic. I would say it is THE BEST engine out there, extremely easy for beginners and extremely powerful for the advanced. Very easy to understand, extremely powerful with even built in directx/direct3d support. There is nothing else so perfect for beginners/intermidiate game developers. Go for it whatver you do.

RionMcCloud
15-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Good to get feedback about it.. I've been thinking about giving it a shot, but I have no programming experience, unless you count HTML. I sure as hell don't! Heh. Thanks for the input.