View Single Post
Old 05-06-2003, 11:40 PM   #62
sneaky_d

I think when lighting you need to create a balance between real-world lighting and faking it. After all, there are certain thing that 3D programs won't do (assuming that we're ignoring using GI at the moment) so you need to tweak the lighting setup a bit.

Example, a red ball in a room with white walls. You'd expect to get some scatter from the ball, some pinky tones on the walls. Throw in an omni light, get it the right colour, and twiddle with the fall_off and decay (I almost always use inverse square, I just think it gives much better results) until you've faked the effect.

I would say that the real trick with lighting is (a) study how light works in the real world and if you don't have Jeremy Birn's book than get thee to a book store (or buy it on Amazon) and (b) really get to grips with the lights that your 3D package has, and tweak until it's perfect...

I'm a Max man at heart - although I'm trying now to learn Lightwave in the hopes of getting some kind of paid employment - and the lights that are in ther version I use (4) work fine for everything I need to do with that program.

sneaky_d