View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
The performance hit from a model comes from pixel shaders and texture usage - not polycount (within reason). modern GPUs are capable of pushing extremely large volumes of geometry around (tens or hundreds of millions of tris) very happily, the crunch comes when you start throwing high res normal/spec/etc maps and post effects into the mix (and that's largely unconnected to polycount)

I feel the polycounts in a lot of comps are set unrealistically low these days tbh. 10k on a character is hardly high end realtime specs (GOW had them at 20k plus and that happened years ago) and it seems to me we really ought to be pushing towards next generation specs (i'd guess we're looking at 50-100k on a major character)

The extra 2k will give space for curved surfaces and nice accessories like strap fixings, detailed ammo belts and so on.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatpoopipe! Thank you:
Sathe (07-02-2011)