View Single Post
Old 30-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #25
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row 
Total Awards: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesaevans
What a great idea for a CD, especially given that cars are one of the most popular and difficult subjects to model.

For me there are really two areas where the CD contents would be very useful:

Modelling
1) A full step by step tutorial of building a model from blueprints through to final rendered image (e.g. Karabocentral Fiat 500, Munkmotion NSX) I know these tutorials are already available on the web and there may be copyright issues but having a couple of really good full tutorials on the CD would be great, especially for beginners

2) Tutorials on specific car parts e.g. Wheels, Tyres and Head Lights

3) Web links to other resources e.g. Tutorials, Blueprints and Models

4) A gallery of car models showing clay and wire frames both high poly and low poly
- I find looking at how other people have constructed their mesh very useful in improving my own modelling

5) You could also include the 10 best car modelling threads from Threedy.com showing how the modelling progressed

Rendering
1) The most useful resource for me would be a simple sample scene containing a car with materials/texturing applied, lighting set up and camera positioned
- Firstly this would enable users to see what there software is capable of rendering and to understand how to construct and light a scene
- It would be great to have the same scene available for all major platforms e.g. Max, Maya, Lightwave etc
- Idealy the scene should also have versions for the default render e.g. Max Scanline and 3rd party ones e.g. Brazil, Vray etc

2) A gallery of rendered car images showing what can be achieved with current software

3) A number of sample materials (inc metallic paint, glass, rubber tyres, chrome for wheels and trim) together with tutorials/sample scenes showing how to apply them

4) A number of background images e.g. showroom, carpark, racetrack etc
so basically shedloads of tutorials would add a lot to the cd.
if your after an sample car models for the cd ill gladly give my last couple of cars and rims for a small modedl bank if you play on that,
i think everythign has now been mentioned and the cd should be great, it will sell very very well.
thanks 3dt
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote