View Single Post
Old 26-02-2003, 05:30 PM   #14
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Incitatus and Kit: I think we agree with eachother more than you realize. I agree that skylights are very simple types of GI. I agree that full blown radiosity can have excellent results. I do think, however, that GI can be faked a little easier than most people think. Even though light bounces around a room in different amounts in different colors, a person can still look at a scene and get a pretty good idea of where to put lights, what intensity they should be, what color they should be, and what their diffuse/specular/shadow options should be, and get pretty good results. Getting back to agreeing, I think radiosity can be fine for stills as well. It is certainly true that in animation, since the camera isn't looking at the same spot for long, it isn't as important that that spot looks perfect.

Now let's get back to what I would like this thread to be for: How do you people out there set up your lighting? Do you have any tricks you use for certain effects? Let's open it up to GI too. What software do you use? Have you found any shortcuts to decrease render times? For increasing quality? Wusup?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Subdivision Surfaces Here
Discuss Materials Here
Zytrex is offline   Reply With Quote